U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2009, 11:38 AM

643 posts, read 2,094,479 times
Default New law goes into effect on Feb 10th regarding buying/selling used kids clothes.

I just saw this on another forum.

New Law On Selling/Buying Used Childrens Clothing/Toys Goes Into Effect February 10th!

"The law, aimed at keeping lead-filled merchandise away from children, mandates that all products sold for those age 12 and younger -- including clothing -- be tested for lead and phthalates, which are chemicals used to make plastics more pliable. Those that haven't been tested will be considered hazardous, regardless of whether they actually contain lead."

New safety rules for children's clothes have stores in a fit - Los Angeles Times

Basically, any item sold for children after February 10th will have to be tested - by an independent lab - to ensure it is lead-free. This includes thrifts stores and consignment stores which cannot afford to pay to have the testing done. Many of these stores will have to stop selling used childrens clothing. Where the hell does that leave those of us that rely on these places?
This also affects selling your own items on eBay and donating items to Goodwill, etc.

Quote:
"You will no longer be able to place used children's clothes or toys into the "stream of commerce" unless you can prove that they've been tested for lead and pthalates. Items manufactured after Feb. 10 will boast a permanent tracking label which will do just that. As I and others understand it, that means no selling items without such proof on ebay, Craigslist, yard sales, and church/organization consignment sales (See if your favorite sales are still scheduled). Of course, that means no buying kids' clothes and toys without the label from these sources either. This act could easily triple the amount that many families pay to clothe their kid until there are enough second-hand items manufactured after Feb. 10 to replenish the second-hand market (and even then it's likely that prices at thrift stores, etc. will be higher due to the added cost of testing them). It will absolutely eliminate the notion of recouping any of the cost of older items through reselling."

Source: babycheapskate.com

Read more:
KCBS - Thrift Stores: New Child Product Safety Laws Too Costly

Lead in Children's Clothes? - FOXNews.com (http://www.foxnews.com/video-search/m/21724983/lead_in_children_s_clothes.htm?pageid=23377 - broken link)

MyFox Los Angeles | New Rules for Kids Clothes to Impact Thrift Stores (http://www.myfoxla.com/myfox/pages/News/Detail?contentId=8187303&version=2&locale=EN-US&layoutCode=VSTY&pageId=3.2.1 - broken link)

Consumer Product Safety Comission:
Information on the Consumer Product Safety Improvement Act (CPSIA)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2009, 12:12 PM

3,796 posts, read 5,333,221 times
is this just California or everywhere? sorry, I'm not clear on that point. Thanks OP. Either way, it's too over the top.

Old 01-06-2009, 12:23 PM

2,469 posts, read 3,879,783 times
This is everywhere. I've seen a lot of people freaking out over it very worried that they won't be able to buy and sell used children's items anymore. I know I buy most of my daughter's clothes and toys for cheap from consignment sales so I hope they won't be affected. I can't imagine the expense of having to buy everything new! I've also seen a lot of people saying not to worry about it and that the law is intended for the large toy manufacturers and there are not enough people to monitor local sales of used items even if they wanted to. I don't know what to think will happen. But I have heard several small businesses (such as moms who make things in their homes, ie clothing, cloth diapers, baby carriers, etc) say they will need to close because they cannot afford the testing and don't want to risk the fines.

Old 01-06-2009, 12:55 PM

38,744 posts, read 37,204,368 times
This is why there is going to be an armed revolution and a civil war against Big Rich Brother in this country. They just can't keep doing this to the poor, without consequences.

Old 01-06-2009, 01:19 PM

1,986 posts, read 2,415,328 times
Tell me what government organization is going to go to every square mile of this country and check every yard and garage sale for children's clothes? There isn't one. It would take years for this to be effective. It certainly won't stop me from putting things out in a yard sale, nor will it prevent me from purchasing children's clothing from a thrift store if the mood strikes me. There is no way on this earth they can enforce this.

Old 01-06-2009, 02:32 PM

It looks like this would not affect Yard Sales, church rummage sales, and probably not Flea Markets, either. In most communities, there will probably be a children s flea market set up fairly quickly, and thrift shops can donate or sell all their kids inventory to vendors there. No matter how hard they try to force every American family to buy their kids imported-from-China things at full retail from the biggest greediest corporation in the world and send them to landfills when the kids outgrow them and then buy next larger sizes at full retail from the biggest greediest corporation in the world, the poor will find a way. Even after 8 years of Bush, Big Rich Brother has not yet gutted the constitution enough that they can interfere with a private transaction between two private individuals. But they're working on it, and preparing concentration camps for violators.

Old 01-06-2009, 02:46 PM

650 posts, read 1,398,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormy night View Post
Tell me what government organization is going to go to every square mile of this country and check every yard and garage sale for children's clothes? There isn't one. It would take years for this to be effective. It certainly won't stop me from putting things out in a yard sale, nor will it prevent me from purchasing children's clothing from a thrift store if the mood strikes me. There is no way on this earth they can enforce this.
I have a yard sale to rid my life of my kids' extra junk every year, but it isn;t just me that I am concerned about. I think that the little small business owners are the ones that this is going to effect. There is a consignment shop in my area that specializes in baby items from toys to clothing. It is owned by a local woman and would be forced to close if this law goes through.

This law is ridiculous, but I disagree that it would take years to be effective. It is going to hurt the local econonmy even though that is what it is trying to avoid.

More government regulations is classic for a Democrat in office. Gee, I wonder why no one else saw this coming...

Old 01-06-2009, 03:05 PM

There are thre ways of going something. The Right way, the Easy, and the Government way.

It would be a simple matter to require, starting now, that all affected items, if sold new, be labeled that they have been inspected. Then allow a few years before prohibiting unlabeled items from being resold in retail shops. Of course, millions of kids would die during that delay of a few years, but wasn't it Bush that said collateral damage is perfectly OK?

Old 01-06-2009, 03:18 PM

3,238 posts, read 5,683,323 times
[quote=jtur88;6868834]There are thre ways of going something. The Right way, the Easy, and the Government way.

It would be a simple matter to require, starting now, that all affected items, if sold new, be labeled that they have been inspected. Then allow a few years before prohibiting unlabeled items from being resold in retail shops. Of course, millions of kids would die during that delay of a few years, but wasn't it Bush that said collateral damage is perfectly OK?[/quote]

MILLIONS of kids would die? Isn't that a bit of an exaggeration?? So instead of buying used clothes for kids which makes so much sense, we will buy new clothes made in China, which country has been putting all sorts of weird stuff in infant formula? Now that makes sense.

Old 01-06-2009, 03:56 PM

43,862 posts, read 26,699,854 times
What a big crock of spit!

I smell a kids clothing line with a busy lobbyist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting