U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2009, 01:52 PM

5,581 posts, read 8,208,966 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sun queen View Post
You make several excellent points. I wish I could make my teens take a self defense course. The older boy thinks it is lame and the younger will usually follow his lead even though they don't get along that well. Maybe they will come across somebody else who gives that advice then they won't be repelled by it because it comes from their parent.
Do your kids attend public school? When we lived in a different state, a group of parents got together and organized an assembly at school which presented personal safety techniques. They were able to get local law enforcement involved to come speak and do demonstrations, and also invited a martial arts instructor to show some self defense techniques. Parents were invited and flyers were passed out which included a list of things we can all do to help keep our homes and children safer.

I have a teenager, and a younger kiddo, too, so I think I know where you're coming from. Things certainly do change as they get older, don't they? When he was younger, it seemed like every day he wanted to try something new and I was having trouble keeping up with him. There were things he wanted to try that I had to say no to simply because our calendar was full. Now that he's reached the teenager stage, he's more focused on hanging out with his friends or reading and listening to music and studying in his room and just keeping up with his current hobbies and interests, and he's not starting new things so much anymore like he was. He's even dropped a few things that he used to do, and really only focuses on three of his extracurricular activities now. We used to have something every day after school keeping us busy, and our weekends were full, too. Now it's so nice to have a few nights a week without something going on - besides homework, hanging out with friends, and dinner!

Anyway - good luck with your kiddos. And like other parents have mentioned here... the self defense classes and martial arts can be helpful, but they are just one of many things you can do to help prepare your kids for difficult situations. Even just sitting and talking with them about things can help raise their awareness. I think sometimes parents assume that their kids just sort of glean this kind of information, and maybe a lot of them do, but I think talking safety issues over with your kids is important regardless just to be sure. And if you don't think they'll listen to you, maybe have an adult that they do listen to sit and talk with them, like a coach or teacher from school or a respected uncle, etc. In our town there's even a summer camp that's put on by the local police for all ages of kids. It's pretty cool. They act out situations and role play to help kids learn how to handle different situations. It was a really worthwhile experience.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2009, 02:12 PM

5,581 posts, read 8,208,966 times
Oh - and I wanted to add, too, that if they are at that "I'm too old for summer camp or classes" age... I have found that with my older son, encouraging him to work/volunteer as one of the assistant coaches or for example, all last summer he was a junior lifeguard at a local pool... it gets them doing basically the same sort of positive activity but on a different level. It's a positive path for them, and fulfills their need at this stage of their development to feel more grown up, important, and in charge. My son was doing swim team and loved being at the pool, so I spoke to him about the junior lifeguard opportunity. Honestly he wasn't too crazy about it at first, because he wanted to sort of bum around all summer and relax and not do much... but I eventually made a deal with him. If he at least tried it that summer, and if he totally hated it, next summer he could totally be the bum he was talking about being. I also went on and on saying how cool I thought it would be, and his dad encouraged him, too. So, he tried it - and he ended up loving it. He had so much fun that he has kept it up all year and plans to do it again next summer. He's even talking now about becoming a "real" lifeguard and doing that for his job as soon as he old enough through high school and college.

Anyway - we've gone off the self defense topic... but I thought I'd share just an example of how, with older kids, you can still help them learn positive skills. You just can't do it the same way as you do with younger kids.

Old 01-19-2009, 11:05 PM

15,145 posts, read 6,457,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Yeah, she's 9 years old, get her a concealed carry permit. Sheesh.

when she is old enough she will most likely carry, I shall leave that decision up to her. she is receptive to the idea that the cops cannot be there when something goes wrong, and not to rely on anyone else but herself when she gets out of school.

being self reliant is always a good policy.

Old 01-20-2009, 10:46 AM

38,753 posts, read 38,649,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
when she is old enough she will most likely carry, I shall leave that decision up to her. she is receptive to the idea that the cops cannot be there when something goes wrong, and not to rely on anyone else but herself when she gets out of school.

being self reliant is always a good policy.
Sorry---if you leave it up to her, she will NOT most likely carry, unless you indoctrinate her, which is not exactly "leaving it up to her". At the age of 9, she is receptive to ANY dogma she is constantly exposed to. She will not carry if she is deprogrammed from the gun cult, but that is about the only way anything will be "left up to her".

Last edited by jtur88; 01-20-2009 at 10:55 AM..

Old 01-20-2009, 11:42 AM

7,091 posts, read 5,154,015 times
Quote:
Sorry---if you leave it up to her, she will NOT most likely carry, unless you indoctrinate her, which is not exactly "leaving it up to her". At the age of 9, she is receptive to ANY dogma she is constantly exposed to. She will not carry if she is deprogrammed from the gun cult, but that is about the only way anything will be "left up to her".
Deprogrammed from the gun "cult"? Dogma and indoctrination? This has absolutly NOTHING to do with the topic here. Teaching ones children about self defense and awareness is NOT indoctrination nor can it be considered dogmatic. Whether one chooses to see it or not this world we live in is a dangerous place and ignoring that fact is a sure fire way to end up being a victim. My son has been raised around firearms, he participates in competitions and is an avid hunter as well. The rules of lethal force are not an alien concept to him but I have never encouraged him to view a gun as the answer to every human problem. At the age group we are discussing here lethal force is not really an option that can be put in thier hands. Mace, pepper spray and such, well I'm not to crazy about that idea either because having such items in the hands of an adolecent can instill a false sense of security and is begging for a judgement call disaster. As they grow and experience , and the wisdom that comes with it ,starts to set in then then, should they feel the need the carry of a weapon of some type becomes an option. Up to that point it's a learning curve. How and what they are taught is going to come into play at that level. The basic rule of how not to become a victim and negating the possiblity that they might have to defend themselves should be the prime directive. If one carries a weapon , of some type, for self defense, you have the responsibility to know how NOT to have to use it. If you raise your kids to be aware and to be able to spot trouble and avoid it, that will stick with them and if and when they make the decision to be armed they will have the mental ability to avoid trouble. In the same vein if that trouble comes looking for them and becomes unavoidable they will be prepared for that as well. Lets stay on topic shall we...... There is another forum for political discussion if one wishes to debate the different moral ramifications of self defense and espouse ones personal politics.

Old 01-20-2009, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
. Whether one chooses to see it or not this world we live in is a dangerous place and ignoring that fact is a sure fire way to end up being a victim. .
My "sure fire way" to being a victim has failed miserably. After 70 years of going unarmed, living in some tough towns, rarely locking my doors, sleeping hundreds of nights in my van with the side door open for air, traveling in more than 100 countries by third-class bus, picking up hitchhikers and taking them home for a good night's sleep and a home cooked meal, I'm still waiting. I don't think I can rely on your "sure fire" promises.

OK, I've had a lawnmower taken out of my garage, and a couple of things pilfered from my parked car. Sure wish I'd had a gun and a black belt.

You are horribly overestimating, by a factor of maybe hundreds, the real risk of a sober person in a decent part of town at a decent hour being faced with an attacker that can be repelled with a gun or martial arts. Teach your kids to limit their alcohol consumption, know who their friends are, and go to bed early, and they won't have to worry about what you take for granted as an everyday risk. A huge majority of murder vicims are killed by people they know. I don't know any murderers.

Last edited by jtur88; 01-20-2009 at 01:06 PM..

Old 01-20-2009, 09:24 PM

7,091 posts, read 5,154,015 times
Quote:
My "sure fire way" to being a victim has failed miserably. After 70 years of going unarmed, living in some tough towns, rarely locking my doors, sleeping hundreds of nights in my van with the side door open for air, traveling in more than 100 countries by third-class bus, picking up hitchhikers and taking them home for a good night's sleep and a home cooked meal, I'm still waiting. I don't think I can rely on your "sure fire" promises.

OK, I've had a lawnmower taken out of my garage, and a couple of things pilfered from my parked car. Sure wish I'd had a gun and a black belt.

You are horribly overestimating, by a factor of maybe hundreds, the real risk of a sober person in a decent part of town at a decent hour being faced with an attacker that can be repelled with a gun or martial arts. Teach your kids to limit their alcohol consumption, know who their friends are, and go to bed early, and they won't have to worry about what you take for granted as an everyday risk. A huge majority of murder vicims are killed by people they know. I don't know any murderers.
I am certainly happy for you in having been so fortunate. Many folks, me included, have not been so lucky. Thus, I will continue to view the world with an attitude of caution and preparedness.

Old 01-20-2009, 09:58 PM

You make your own luck. Or you shoot your way out of it. Your call.

Old 01-20-2009, 10:42 PM

Quote:

she already gets indoctrinated at school, it takes alot out of me to deprogram her from the liberal teachers.

she has already stated that she would love to go hunting when she is old enough as well.

the reasons I have for teaching her gun safety and about firearms, if that 1 I carry at work and have firearms at home, and 2 children that know the destructive power of firearms and gun safety are more likely to be more well adjusted and less likely to cause trouble at school.

plus she is alway learning to become self reliant and is learning that the nanny state is not there for anyone but itself.

Old 01-20-2009, 10:44 PM

Quote:
You make your own luck. Or you shoot your way out of it. Your call.

you make your own luck?

tell that to the democrat party, they seem to think that it is everyone elses fault but their own.

how about some self responsibility, rather than more feelgood laws that do nothing at all but make more vicitims. but i guess the democrat party needs their victims in order to stay afloat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting