U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-08-2009, 03:30 PM
 
Location: WV
617 posts, read 1,900,708 times
Reputation: 416

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
Did she die?

My husband was attacked by a cat several years ago and wound up in the ER, requiring several stitches. So what? Can you provide articles showing that cats kill even a fraction of the number of people that boxers, pit bulls and similar dogs do? I've never heard of a cat snapping at a baby and killing it before the parents could pry its jaws open, or a cat launching itself at someone walking by its house, mauling the person to death ... but if you honestly think cats are as dangerous as dogs in terms of mortal wounds, then let's see evidence, please.
Of course a cat isn't as capable of killing as is a large dog. Or a zoo animal. Or a person. You missed my point. The quote you included was in the context of the paragraph above it, regarding the Media created frenzy. You left that part out.

The point I was making is that attacks by other animals, specifically other breeds of dogs, are not reported. The point is, just because all 4 of the reports you heard about in 2008 involved Pit Bulls doesn't mean that there weren't 5 German Shepherd attacks, 6 Chow attacks, or 7 whatever other breed attacks. It also doesn't mean that the Pit Bull attacks you heard about were really Pit Bulls.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-08-2009, 03:54 PM
 
16 posts, read 130,142 times
Reputation: 17
I think they are dangerous animals and I'm not alone in this thinking. There is a reason why there is report after report...trial after trial...case after case...I prefer to listen and make my own decision about the breed.


Your opinion is fine it is your's.But over half of the people who think these dogs are so dangours get there info from the media.They jugde cause other people do so it is not just your opinion you are convinced with out ever being around a Pit bull that as came from a nice loving family.They are no more mean or aggresive as any other bred.I think people should read up on the bred and other breds before the start making there opinions.Because the media had made these bred so aggresive when most attacks aren't Pit bulls at all they are terriors so the have the same traits.

And as far as a cat.A cat can kill too.A cat can suffocate a new born baby well the baby is in there bed.The cat smell the milk on the baby's breath and want it.So they lick at the baby's mouth trying to get the milk suffocating the baby.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-08-2009, 04:07 PM
 
2,024 posts, read 3,776,242 times
Reputation: 597
Quote:
Originally Posted by askdc View Post
And as far as a cat.A cat can kill too.A cat can suffocate a new born baby well the baby is in there bed.The cat smell the milk on the baby's breath and want it.So they lick at the baby's mouth trying to get the milk suffocating the baby.
Um, that's actually a myth, just so you know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-08-2009, 05:02 PM
 
Location: The Hall of Justice
25,906 posts, read 36,355,510 times
Reputation: 42509
Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpy01 View Post
Of course a cat isn't as capable of killing as is a large dog. Or a zoo animal. Or a person. You missed my point. The quote you included was in the context of the paragraph above it, regarding the Media created frenzy. You left that part out.

The point I was making is that attacks by other animals, specifically other breeds of dogs, are not reported. The point is, just because all 4 of the reports you heard about in 2008 involved Pit Bulls doesn't mean that there weren't 5 German Shepherd attacks, 6 Chow attacks, or 7 whatever other breed attacks. It also doesn't mean that the Pit Bull attacks you heard about were really Pit Bulls.
I was answering your question about why a little girl who was badly clawed by a cat wasn't given as much attention as a child who was killed by a dog. The answer is that she didn't die. There was that French lady who didn't wake up when her dog ate her face, and that was notable because it was so weird, but for the most part, most animal attacks are not that notable.

I looked at your gallery. Are you saying that only American pit bull terriers are pit bulls? There seem to be several American and English Staffies on there. I can't easily tell them apart, but those dogs are commonly known as pit bulls, from everything I've read. That's in the opening paragraph of the entry for "pit bull" on Wikipedia (no, I didn't go there to look this up--I already knew this), and I can't even find American Pit Bull Terrier as a recognized breed on akc.org. I don't see it under A for American or P for Pit. Searching for "pit bull" on akc.org brings several pages like this one:

American Kennel Club - AKC eNewsletter

It lists many places where legislation is being enacted against pit bulls, defining them as one of those three breeds (American pit, American Staffordshire, or English Staffordshire) OR a dog having many characteristics of those dogs.

When I hear stories about innocent people tragically dying from being bitten or mauled, there are always the follow-up protests:

- Hey, MY dog isn't like that.
- That's not a real pit bull.
- The dog must have been abused or poorly bred.
- One time I got pecked by my canary and you don't hear me screaming to kill canaries everywhere.

Look, I'm not saying that your dog is vicious, and I'm not saying that pits should be exterminated. What I am saying is that these dogs can be very dangerous ... more so than Pomeranians and Labs and most of the others, because of their power and strength of their jaws. I've heard some nasty stories about chows, too, but this thread is about pits. It's useless to pretend that pit bulls are no more dangerous than any other domesticated animal, because that's not true.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-08-2009, 05:06 PM
 
2,529 posts, read 5,365,846 times
Reputation: 3522
Quote:
Originally Posted by askdc View Post
and as far as a cat.a cat can kill too.a cat can suffocate a new born baby well the baby is in there bed.the cat smell the milk on the baby's breath and want it.so they lick at the baby's mouth trying to get the milk suffocating the baby.
myth
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-08-2009, 05:29 PM
 
541 posts, read 977,382 times
Reputation: 662
Default Cutest pic

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpy01 View Post

As for facts v. opinion, I've posted links to other sites as documentation upon which I've based my opinion. I can provide other links to reputable sources if anyone is interested in the truth. Or, I can just shove it.


Belle and Kendyll
OMG I love this picture! I have been bitten by dogs and cats. It totally depends on dog/cat situation. I used to bring in all kinds of stray animals and then I got pregnant. It had to come to a halt. I would not risk my son's life/body/face for an animal whose background was unknown.

When I first read the article I was stunned by the name of the child, "Cheyenne Peppers ( all i could think of was Cayenne peppers.")

Just like the name "Adolph Hitler" these parents aren't playing with a full deck. If not the dog bite it would have been something else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-08-2009, 05:38 PM
 
2,529 posts, read 5,365,846 times
Reputation: 3522
Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpy01 View Post
Have you actually read the posts in this thread? Do you realize how many so-called "Pit Bull Attacks" are actually not Pit Bulls at all but are misidentified, in large part because of this media created frenzy?

This happens with every breed of dog. It doesn't happen with Pit Bulls more often but it does get reported more often if a Pit Bull is involved. Why would any news outlet wanting better ratings or readership report about the Jack Russell Terrier, the Dachshund, Chihuahua or the Pomeranian who suddenly just snapped and attacked it's family member? They don't report it. But just because you don't know about it doesn't mean it isn't happening, or that it isn't happening at a higher rate than it does with Pit Bulls.

Regardless of breed, here are some examples of dog bites in 2008.

Punish the Deed, not the Breed!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-08-2009, 05:58 PM
 
16 posts, read 130,142 times
Reputation: 17
Myth but how many people still believe it just like they believe everything the media says.some ones SAYS pit bull and they run cause they are mean aniamls JUST BECAUSE SOME ONE SAID THEY WERE
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-08-2009, 06:03 PM
 
1,134 posts, read 2,536,183 times
Reputation: 486
Dogs don't have to be abused or badly raised to bite and certain breeds are by nature of their breeding more aggressive than others. It is a trait sought by most of the people I know who own Pittbulls. Some people think a dog's ability to attack/defend the home is the point of owning a dog.

All dogs are capable of biting, but I don't think I've ever heard of someone being killed by a Chihuahua.

I have owned German Shepherds all my life, but I'd never leave one alone with my daughter. They are pack animals, and as such will seek to establish their dominance if an opening is perceived.

Last edited by DvlsAdvc8; 01-08-2009 at 06:13 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-08-2009, 06:16 PM
 
Location: Bay Area
3,929 posts, read 7,744,462 times
Reputation: 4490
Quote:
Originally Posted by askdc View Post
Myth but how many people still believe it just like they believe everything the media says.some ones SAYS pit bull and they run cause they are mean aniamls JUST BECAUSE SOME ONE SAID THEY WERE
So are you saying that pitbulls are banned in most countries because of an unfounded rumor? I lived in Europe where they are banned in many countries.

This isn't about dog bites..it's about this pitbull "breed" (actually a mutt created with the breeding of several types of square jawed baiting dogs) mauling people/children/other animals to death.

I was bitten by a terrier when I was younger but it didn't kill me or go after my throat. I wish people would just stop trying to convince everyone that these dogs are appropriate family pets- I'm only convinced that the owners of this type of "pet" are just trying to look intimidating to the general public over deep rooted insecurities. Why else would someone choose a family pet that even has this "reputation" to begin with?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top