Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2009, 05:52 AM

648 posts, read 3,090,542 times

Advertisements

jtur88 when there was a big snow we would get up in the morning and listen to the radio for school closures!! oh yeah, snow day!!! funny how we could always get outside to play though
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2009, 03:30 PM

3,387 posts, read 6,627,520 times
Cold weather, yeah she's still going.

Heavy ice or snow, the schools are closed anyway, so no worries.

If it's really heavy ice like we had in Jan, then pretty much everything is closed anyway, lol.

Old 12-15-2009, 04:45 PM

1,492 posts, read 3,233,616 times
My kids would love to go to school sub zero.
Mind you the only time they have been cold is when we go snow skiing so they associate cold with snow skiing not with school.
We live in Brisbane Australia which is about the same distance below the equator as Florida is north so as you can imagine, the weather here is always warm to hot. We do have winter. Usually August 15 is winter.

Old 02-07-2011, 11:22 PM

12 posts, read 19,999 times
Well, you could be like back in the old days where you ride the draft horse to school and if it's a blizzard as my FATHER told me, you rode backwards so the wind didn't beat at your face and let the horse take you home. And schools weren't all cozy like they are today. But yea, schools never close here and it is chilly, cold and brisk til lord knows when?? What fun is it staying at home anyways. A whole lot funner being with friends and learning.

Old 02-07-2011, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzie02 View Post
Wow, I am glad I live in warm weather.
YOU SHOUld be thankful, but I am glad I don't live in the heat all year long. That is a drag!

Old 02-07-2011, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormy night View Post
Yesterday I spoke with a friend in Michigan. He said they close schools in their area when the temp is below zero. The reason for this is because of the kids who wait outside for the bus or have to walk to school.

All the whining aside, can you imagine lawsuit after lawsuit if there is school and kids returned home in the afternoon with frostbite?

It's easy for parents to talk who warm up their garage-protected vehicles and take their kids to school and deliver them to the door, but there are kids out there who have to walk down long driveways in the dark and wait in the cold.

I know, I know. My dad walked 6 miles uphill both ways to school in the blowing snow, but back then people were used to the cold. Their houses weren't heated so well and neither were other buildings, hence, they developed a better resistence to the cold. Personally, I have always kept a pretty chilly house so we're used to it, but most keep their heat at or near 70, then try going out when it's below zero. This morning it was -21 and I didn't think it was so bad. My sister keeps an extremely warm house and couldn't take it.

Cities tend to hold heat, so the cold isn't usually so severe, but out in the rural areas where there is nothing but nature, it gets darn cold. Even though the schools are heated and so are the buses, getting there is sometimes the problem.

Aw, it couldn't have been that cold, probably 32 degrees, They won't freeze to death in this temp

Old 02-07-2011, 11:39 PM

I"D say, let those kids and Moms who want their kids to be in school>>go if they are open, if not, stay home and don't worry so much about who does what. You do anyways in the end.

Old 02-07-2011, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
Back in the 60s, girls could not wear pants in school even in Alaska

Lord I remember freezing my butt off when we all had to wear skirts. And this was in N.C. Such a stupid rule. When I went back to college in 1976 as an adult I asked the admissions director if women could wear pants on campus. He almost fell off his chair laughing. he was young and had never heard such a stupid remark.
So glad times have changed. I don't think I have worn a skirt in 20 years-hot or cold outside.
I live in MT and remember late 60's and we couldn't wear pants, but tights. WE were too poor back then for even tights, so I did alot of freezing, but was thankful as 3 years later one could wear pants. Supposedly slacks, but who had money??

Old 02-07-2011, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
\\
You must be younger than me. When I went to school in Wisconsin, the word "snow day" was not in the vocabulary. School was open. If you could get there, you went. If you couldn't, you could make up your work later. The farm kids would not be there if the roads were not plowed and the busses didnt run, unless their dad was coming to town anyway. "Snow day" was a day when your absence was excused.

Once a year, when there was a heavy snow, the students would unilaterally declare it a snow day, and not come back to school after lunch. Have snowball fights on the school grounds, instead. That was also the only spring break we had---on the first really nice spring day, nobody would come back to school after lunch.

And girls could wear jeans to school. A lot of them were in the barn doing chores until the school bus honked, and then ran and got on, so the dress code allowed jeans for everyone. Class smelled like a barn, but only town kids knew that.

I walked to school on days when the actual temp was -40. There is never a wind when it is that cold. When you breathe out, your cloud of breath turns to snow and falls to the ground, and you can hear it tinkle when it does that. -40 is quite OK when there is no wind.

This sounds way too fun, " Class smelled like a barn" !!!!

Old 02-10-2011, 10:47 PM

6,066 posts, read 15,047,844 times
Even though I was a child of the 80's, we lived in a very conservative area where girls still had to wear dresses or skirts with a blouse tucked-in to school - no pants or jeans. When I was in the 5th grade they started allowing girls to wear pants or jeans on Friday's only. Then by middle school we could wear pants anytime we wanted to, but jeans only on Fridays.

Anyway - as long as the roads are safe, there's no reason not to go to school. I can't stand it when the district closes a school for bad weather even though the roads are clear and everybody is out driving anyway. I'm a SAHM but it still bugs me, I can only imagine how upset the working parents feel when suddenly there's no school but you still are expected to be at work and you suddenly have to find child care because of a "snow day"...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting