Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2009, 12:33 PM

3,842 posts, read 10,512,087 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdude View Post
Thanks!

My School doesnt allow anything other than what is needed for your class and the clothes on your back. It's certainly a distraction to hear that crinkling noise when one moves around. I know my school has a proper heating system because our school is brand new, but administraton just likes to be "arses" and use it as little as possible.

121804:
Have you ever considered puttling plastic wrap around your windows? works great and you can usually get it for less than $20 at your local hardware store.
Yes, we have done that this winter & some of the taller windows in the home do have that on right now. We have little children & thus the windows in their rooms do not have the wrap on nor windows at their level...they can tear off the plastic & swallow it is seconds.

Yep, most schools don't turn on the heat just to physically impair students. It makes sense just so much sense!

Industrial engineering 101. Read up on it.

Last edited by 121804; 01-16-2009 at 12:42 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2009, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormy night View Post

All the whining aside, can you imagine lawsuit after lawsuit if there is school and kids returned home in the afternoon with frostbite?
True. But a lawsuit on what? BOTH sides need to take responsibility.

Let's also take into the consideration that parents have to use sick days from work to stay home to watch their children.

It's a tough situation for many.

Old 01-16-2009, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Severs View Post
it does have substance when the school refuses to allow coats or gloves in the classrooms no matter what the tempature, because its a "distraction to hear the crinkling noise when one moves around"
Show me a school district that has that statement wrritten in its handbook.

Refuses? Well, many times that based on the behavior of the student who is insisting on making the noises b/c it #1) gets attention #2) is annoying #3) gets attention.

You need an education in school administration and budgeting.

Old 01-16-2009, 12:41 PM

63 posts, read 98,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by #Littledog View Post
In Milwaukee, Wisconsin, this is the second day in a row school has been cancelled due to extreme temperatures. It is going to be 40 degrees below 0 today. I'm happy school's canceled as I have a five and three year old and I don't think it's safe to be outside, even to go from the house to the car or the car to the school building. A car or bus can breakdown in this cold weather and frostbite can set in in only 15 minutes. Staff are expected to report to school, but it is cancelled for children.
I'm in Appleton and schools are closed for the second day in a row, aswell.

Old 01-16-2009, 12:41 PM

603 posts, read 2,359,152 times
All of these people posting saying kids should go to school in below zero temps must not live in the upper Midwest!!! Do you realize how quickly hypothermia and frostbite set in when the temps get to even 20 below, especially in young children who don't have as much body fat.. It is 40 below zero, people!!!!! It is different from walking to school when it is 25 degrees outside-that's no big deal-but 40 below?!?!?! The kids will make up the school days-last year we had to make up 2 snow days when everyone else around the country was enjoying their summer. The school staff had to report to school today so it's not the adults who were whining-it's just a way to protect the kids. Anyone who feels the need to argue about this is welcome to come and stay in Milwaukee today and have their 5 year old and 3 year old walk a mile to school.

Old 01-16-2009, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by #Littledog View Post
All of these people posting saying kids should go to school in below zero temps must not live in the upper Midwest!!! Do you realize how quickly hypothermia and frostbite set in when the temps get to even 20 below, especially in young children who don't have as much body fat.. It is 40 below zero, people!!!!! It is different from walking to school when it is 25 degrees outside-that's no big deal-but 40 below?!?!?! The kids will make up the school days-last year we had to make up 2 snow days when everyone else around the country was enjoying their summer. The school staff had to report to school today so it's not the adults who were whining-it's just a way to protect the kids. Anyone who feels the need to argue about this is welcome to come and stay in Milwaukee today and have their 5 year old and 3 year old walk a mile to school.
I do live in the upper midwest. The windchill is -27 right now. Our city had school today. Most of the city does not have sidewalks so walking to school is not an option for 75% of school aged population. Mind you, ALL elementary students are bused regardless of radius. This does not hold true for middle or high school where all bussing has been stopped b/c people don't want to pay taxes to support schools. Our nieghborhood has instituted a share-a-ride program. Works great. Parents stopped blaming everyone else & took some control.

My 3yr old has not been out since Tues. My next door neighbor's 14yr son takes the dog out for a few minutes every day after school, to include this week. A 3yr old cannot be compared to a 14yr old.

Parents who rely on the districts to fix everything are failing their children. Figure out how to get your kids to school under every condition. It's your job. Not the mayor's.

There is a big difference in a 3yr old walking to school today compared to a 16yr old who is pissed he/she has to sit in chemistry class today. BIG difference.

Old 01-16-2009, 12:49 PM

1,156 posts, read 1,968,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 121804 View Post
Show me a school district that has that statement wrritten in its handbook.

Refuses? Well, many times that based on the behavior of the student who is insisting on making the noises b/c it #1) gets attention #2) is annoying #3) gets attention.

You need an education in school administration and budgeting.
i cannot show you a written form of proof, but i can say that in rooms that had to be no warmer than 35 or 40 when i asked to go get a coat, i was told no, and that was not just one teacher, that was 6 different teachers who had told me no

and as for budgeting education, what sense does it make to lower the budget for needed things like updated subject books (such as history, chemistry, biology, ect) yet raise the school's football budget? last time i checked sports were an extracurricular form of school, aka not nessacary to the function of the school, us students in 2003 could have history books from the early 80s but god forbid if the football team has a scuff on thier precious football equipment? yeah.. doesnt fly with me

Old 01-16-2009, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Severs View Post
i cannot show you a written form of proof, but i can say that in rooms that had to be no warmer than 35 or 40 when i asked to go get a coat, i was told no, and that was not just one teacher, that was 6 different teachers who had told me no

and as for budgeting education, what sense does it make to lower the budget for needed things like updated subject books (such as history, chemistry, biology, ect) yet raise the school's football budget? last time i checked sports were an extracurricular form of school, aka not nessacary to the function of the school, us students in 2003 could have history books from the early 80s but god forbid if the football team has a scuff on thier precious football equipment? yeah.. doesnt fly with me
Football brings in income.
History books do not.

I was a teacher. I get it.

You'll survive.

Stop making excuses & whining. Learn to deal. If you don't like it, get the best education you can & make the most out of your life.

As for "6" teachers telling you no...cmon. Either you were being a pain in the butt or they are all just pure evil. I can almost assume if there is any validity to your statement that your behavior was the reason. Sorry. Actions have consequences. Want to wear a coat & gloves in school to stay warm? Then act responsible & not like an spoiled infant & doing things just to be a smart arse to the teachers. Might be funny when your 12 but you look like an idiot to anyone over 18.

Life isn't easy nor fair. Don't like what you see? DO SOMETHING about it then rather than whining. Thus, work hard. Be educated. Volunteer. Stop thinking about the tragedy of you & so on. Once you stop dwelling on you & look at the world around you & help out, you'll see that you can do much more & be more productive.

Old 01-16-2009, 01:14 PM

13,404 posts, read 28,729,623 times
Hell yes, their butts would be on the way to school

Old 01-16-2009, 01:16 PM

1,156 posts, read 1,968,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 121804 View Post
Football brings in income.
History books do not.

I was a teacher. I get it.

You'll survive.

Stop making excuses & whining. Learn to deal. If you don't like it, get the best education you can & make the most out of your life.

As for "6" teachers telling you no...cmon. Either you were being a pain in the butt or they are all just pure evil. I can almost assume if there is any validity to your statement that your behavior was the reason. Sorry. Actions have consequences. Want to wear a coat & gloves in school to stay warm? Then act responsible & not like an spoiled infant & doing things just to be a smart arse to the teachers. Might be funny when your 12 but you look like an idiot to anyone over 18.

Life isn't easy nor fair. Don't like what you see? DO SOMETHING about it then rather than whining. Thus, work hard. Be educated. Volunteer. Stop thinking about the tragedy of you & so on. Once you stop dwelling on you & look at the world around you & help out, you'll see that you can do much more & be more productive.
A: i was one of the good kids in school, most i ever got in trouble for was not doing my homework, i didnt get into fights, didnt vandalize the walls of the bathroom... i sat and did my own thing which if it wasnt listening to the teacher, it was reading a book..

B: this just proves that schools are money hungry, "yes... lets use football to get us more money to spend on football instead of giving our students the education they NEED and DESERVE

C: what does any of this have to do with my productivity, and for your information i do volunteer when and where i have a chance, i think you need to come down off your high horse... but watch that first step, its a doozy
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting