Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2009, 04:12 PM

17,998 posts, read 9,059,146 times

Advertisements

I am not a parent but a High School Student. I thought I would ask a question. Would you send your children to school in sub zero temperatures? Here in the Indianapolis area it was -14 degrees with a windchill of -31 and we only had a 2 hour delay and still had to go to school. Todays high here was only -4. Tomorrow's high temp is expected to be 2 with a low of -18 degrees and a possible windchill of -26. Tomorrow we have a 2hr delay also. So Would you send your kid(s) to school in sub zero temperatures?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2009, 04:24 PM

3,842 posts, read 10,510,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdude View Post
I am not a parent but a High School Student. I thought I would ask a question. Would you send your children to school in sub zero temperatures? Here in the Indianapolis area it was -14 degrees with a windchill of -31 and we only had a 2 hour delay and still had to go to school. Todays high here was only -4. Tomorrow's high temp is expected to be 2 with a low of -18 degrees and a possible windchill of -26. Tomorrow we have a 2hr delay also. So Would you send your kid(s) to school in sub zero temperatures?
Sorry...unless your school does not have windows, doors, walls, electricty or heat...school can run.

Things could be tougher...you could be homeless & having to endure this cold.

Sitting in a classroom with heat isn't the end of the world. It's not always "fun" but you have heat & that is more than what some have right now.

Imagine if doctors, nurses, ambulance drivers, grocery store owners, GameStop owners didn't go to work b/c it was "cold" out. Enjoy high school. When you are a grown up, you don't get a 2hr delay.

Last edited by 121804; 01-15-2009 at 04:33 PM..

Old 01-15-2009, 04:39 PM

733 posts, read 4,653,620 times
Eh? If I didn't send my kids to school in subzero temperatures they'd be absent for 1/2 the winter. Get a grip! It was -26F this morning with a -45F windchill. Big deal. Put on another sweatshirt.

Old 01-15-2009, 04:41 PM

2,467 posts, read 4,859,962 times
My kids go to school a lot in sub zero temps and most of those sub zero days we don't have a 2 hour delay. The grade school kids don't usually go out to recess if it's below 10 degrees. Instead they play in the gym or do other things indoors, like read or crafts. The Jr. High and High school don't have any recess time at all no matter what the temps are outside. They only get to go outside during lunch break and that is optional.

Most of the kids who ride busses don't have to wait forever out at bus stops as most bus stops are right in front of their houses. But for those that do have to walk a bit to bus stops they usually have parents who let them wait in their cars until the bus gets there or the parents will take and drop them off at school on really cold days.

Heck back in my day we went outside during reccess time even if it was -20 below. Most of the time it was optional, but the option wasn't given until the temps reached zero. I survived and still have all my fingers, toes and other extremeties.

Old 01-15-2009, 04:44 PM

63 posts, read 98,781 times
Of course.. schools are heated. And they keep the kids inside for recess. The only time that they actually are out in the cold is walking from the bus (or car) into the school (let's just hope a parent doesn't make their kid walk to school).

Old 01-15-2009, 04:56 PM

15,859 posts, read 21,434,155 times
School often shuts down in Georgia when it hits below freezing, so my parents never really had to worry about it. Though granted, if Georgia hit subzero temperatures, I certainly would not have been at school because hell would be freezing over!

Old 01-15-2009, 05:08 PM

22,577 posts, read 47,641,955 times
I guess you'd rather be in school in the summer?? Those off days have to be made up sometime...

Personally, I'd rather suck it up in the winter and have the summer as long as possible.

Old 01-15-2009, 05:17 PM

5,356 posts, read 18,541,295 times
In Alaska, it was in the -40s and schools were open. I think it has to be in the -50s before they contemplate closing.

Old 01-15-2009, 05:30 PM

1,692 posts, read 3,537,820 times
Lived all my life in Michigan. I remember one time when my older kids were young that they called school off when the temps went down below zero. The biggest issue isn't at school because I worked at a school and state law says you can't go outside when it is at a certain temp for cold and hot. It really is the kids who wait for the bus that is a concern. I do think on these days when it is cold and cars don't start that kids shouldn't be marked tardy It is funny they showed this news clip on like CNN today about the cold temps. I think it was shot in Wisconsin, but some kids and they were High school were getting into a car. One didn't have a coat on. I thought great footage to go with the story.

Old 01-15-2009, 05:33 PM

17,998 posts, read 9,059,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmom48 View Post
Lived all my life in Michigan. I remember one time when my older kids were young that they called school off when the temps went down below zero. The biggest issue isn't at school because I worked at a school and state law says you can't go outside when it is at a certain temp for cold and hot. It really is the kids who wait for the bus that is a concern. I do think on these days when it is cold and cars don't start that kids shouldn't be marked tardy It is funny they showed this news clip on like CNN today about the cold temps. I think it was shot in Wisconsin, but some kids and they were High school were getting into a car. One didn't have a coat on. I thought great footage to go with the story.

thanks for taking this seriously. I usually dont mind the cold temperatures it is just the little ones that have to walk and stand out at the bus stop that I show concern forl.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting