U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2007, 07:45 AM

1,921 posts, read 5,082,949 times

Advertisements

Well, as a stay-at-home wife and mom, of 25 years, I have to say, I admire anyone, male or female, who stays at home with the kids. It's a hard job, (as my husband always says, ala' Bill Cosby, he's seen the boss's job, and he doesn't want it! ). Frankly, I believe that there are many families out there, that could have one or the other parent at home, if they were willing to tighten their belt a little, and not try to "keep up with the Jones'". Is it really so important to have multiple tv's, or brand-new vehicles, etc.? Now, obviously, I know that there are legitimate situations, where both parents have to work, but this trend of the last 30 years, or so, of both parents working, and their kids being raised by daycare, is nonsensical and wrong! I didn't want someone else raising my kids, giving them their values, watching them take their first step, etc. I am thankful and happy to say, that my 25 year-old daughter is also a stay-at-home mom, with her two boys. Now, if society would just get on the same train, and stop treating stay-at-home parents as though there was something wrong with them. It irritates me to no end, when I'm asked the question, "do you work"? My answer is always, "not outside the home". Trust me, I have a job! I get so tired of people acting as though we are somehow sub-par, not contributing enough to society, or something, simple because we don't have a career. My kids are my career! And, let me tell you, folks, stay-at-home parents are doing the most important job of all, turning out the next generation. So, dads, if you are the one staying at home, I say, good for you! Do your job well!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2007, 02:49 PM

1,670 posts, read 5,695,159 times
A large portion of society has negative views on the role reversal of dads. Especially those who are deeply inbedded into religion,which teaches that men should lead their homes. However, as a woman I believe that there is nothing wrong with men staying home. Who the heck says that I'm the better parent with my short-tempered self. My thoughts is that as long as the children are in a loving, stable and teaching environment than its anybody job. I do feel that as a criteria that men still need to have a side job and game night with men to feel value and to have healthy relationships with adults. The side job could be done in the home.
We need to stop caring about society and their messed up homes and put the upmost time into our own homes. We are not valued by society, but our children value us no matter what. Now, Daddy go in there and change that diaper and be the best dad you could be.

Old 04-20-2007, 07:16 PM

1,608 posts, read 9,023,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoosier_guy View Post
What are your thoughts on men who choose to be stay-at-home dads? How do you think society views these men (and their wives)? I was an at-home dad for three and a half years and miss it so much. However going back to work was a vacation of sorts.
It doesn't bother me. I believe in at least one parent being at home with a child. I'd much rather prefer dad be home with the kid than the kid be in daycare. I don't see it any different than if mother's stay at home.

Old 04-24-2007, 10:05 AM

3,042 posts, read 7,939,731 times
how are guys out there doing balancing in home office work and being a stay at home dad?

I will be a stay at home day come August and I have already moved office to my home, just looking to balance time. I think i may have to hire a nanny to help, is that a good ide?

Old 04-24-2007, 10:29 AM

3,570 posts, read 7,776,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinajack View Post
how are guys out there doing balancing in home office work and being a stay at home dad?

I will be a stay at home day come August and I have already moved office to my home, just looking to balance time. I think i may have to hire a nanny to help, is that a good ide?

It really depends on the age of your child. I found it more difficult to balance when my kids hit 3 to 4 years old. I used to be able to whiz around the house during naptime and get work done, dishes, cleaning etc. My MIL used to call me the tornado! My SIL refers to me as a fart in a whirlwind. She readily admits that it takes one to know one.

What kind of work will you be doing? Is it working from home via your computer? If so make sure you have a laptop and flash drive. I live by mine even now. I'm working from home today due to sick children. On the laptop in the kitchen right now. But with my flash drive I can whisk down to the home office and plug in and go while they're downstairs playing if need be.

Many churches have something called "Mom's day out" or programs similiar. You don't have to attend the church to be a part of it...and you can be a dad and use it too. Here in Minnesota we have an at-home dads group. MDAH. Awesome group! Many states have them. I'd google sahd or at-home dads with your state name. I could also check with some of the guys I know and see if they know of anyone where you live.

I've heard so many times how shocked people are when they hear/heard I was an at-home dad. For awhile it was tough since I was around women, and few men. And when I was around some guys I felt like I couldn't relate because we were at different points in our lives. It is a process that many men go through. But I will tell you that the relationship you build with your kids far outweighs any debt you may incur or any other things you may deal with. My kids are my priority...and the best part is, they know it!

If you ever need an ear or encouragement give me a shout!

Old 04-24-2007, 09:14 PM

3,042 posts, read 7,939,731 times
thanks hoosier that helps. I will be moving back to my hometown by the time she is that age and we can employ a local nanny, i just cant trust them up here and in this city adn they are way too expensive but at that age family and hired help will do the trick.

as for shocked, my boss and the other males at work were way cool--i guess we dont have problems with our manhood like alot of guys do. and since i live in a big city i dont have any male friends so i dont worry about those thing. She will go with me to golf and baseball games so i dont worry about that
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or