Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2010, 08:41 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,783,686 times

Advertisements

The source is, as usual, lacking entirely in credibility. Ott is a radio personality, not a researcher. Ott is also a religious-political freak-show of his own, who comes up with some bland conspiracy theories regarding the Mormon Church, China, and vaccines. He's published on Rense. Nuff said.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2010, 11:22 AM

4,267 posts, read 6,183,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
The doctorate is a PhD (in God knows what), and this person is also a Doctor of Naturopathy, a known quackery.
I know nothing at all about this Ott fellow but to say that naturopathic medicine is a "known quackery" shows a very narrow view of medicine in general. Naturopathy is a legitimate practice, just different from the western model that you hold so dear.

Old 12-26-2010, 11:46 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
naturopathy - The Skeptic's Dictionary - Skepdic.com

Naturopathy is a system of therapy and treatment which relies exclusively on natural remedies, such as sunlight, air, water, supplemented with diet and therapies such as massage. However, some naturopaths have been known to prescribe such unnatural treatments as colon hydrotherapy for such diseases as asthma and arthritis.

Old 12-26-2010, 12:03 PM

Quote:
naturopathy - The Skeptic's Dictionary - Skepdic.com

Naturopathy is a system of therapy and treatment which relies exclusively on natural remedies, such as sunlight, air, water, supplemented with diet and therapies such as massage. However, some naturopaths have been known to prescribe such unnatural treatments as colon hydrotherapy for such diseases as asthma and arthritis.
Consider the source, Katiana: Introduction - The Skeptic's Dictionary - Skepdic.com
Quote:
The Skeptic’s Dictionary provides definitions, arguments, and essays on subjects supernatural, occult, paranormal, and pseudoscientific. I use the term “occult” to refer to any and all of these subjects. The reader is forewarned that The Skeptic’s Dictionary does not try to present a balanced account of occult subjects.

Here's some better information on naturopathic medicine. You don't have to believe in it but it is definitely not a "known quackery" as you claim.
http://www.naturopathic.org/content.asp?contentid=59
Quote:
Naturopathic medicine is based on the belief that the human body has an innate healing ability. Naturopathic doctors (NDs) teach their patients to use diet, exercise, lifestyle changes and cutting edge natural therapies to enhance their bodies’ ability to ward off and combat disease.
Moderator cut: Copyright violation -- please post a link and a "snippet" only, per the Terms of Service.

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 12-26-2010 at 12:44 PM.. Reason: Copyright violation

Old 12-26-2010, 12:50 PM

What are "cutting edge natural therapies"?

Old 12-26-2010, 01:58 PM

Quote:
What are "cutting edge natural therapies"?
This thread has been hijacked enough. I was simply pointing out that just because you, personally don't believe in something, does not make it a "known quackery". You prefer the western model of medicine, others find more benefits with the naturopathic model. The end.

Old 12-26-2010, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorthy View Post
This thread has been hijacked enough. I was simply pointing out that just because you, personally don't believe in something, does not make it a "known quackery". You prefer the western model of medicine, others find more benefits with the naturopathic model. The end.
Are you a mod?

Old 12-26-2010, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Are you a mod?
Is this topic relevant to the OP in any way shape or form? You stated something that wasn't true and I spoke up. We could have dropped it a ways back but I guess you'd rather argue about nothing at all then admit that you have no idea what you are talking about when referring to "Naturopathic medicine" as "known quackery". Carry on with the nonsense if you must.

BTW, I would have DM'd you this instead of posting but you have that function turned off.

Old 12-26-2010, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorthy View Post
Is this topic relevant to the OP in any way shape or form? You stated something that wasn't true and I spoke up. We could have dropped it a ways back but I guess you'd rather argue about nothing at all then admit that you have no idea what you are talking about when referring to "Naturopathic medicine" as "known quackery". Carry on with the nonsense if you must.

BTW, I would have DM'd you this instead of posting but you have that function turned off.
I ask again, are you a mod? If you feel a thread is being hijacked, report it.

I had a problem with a troll on another forum, and turned off my DMs. I'm glad I did.

Old 12-28-2010, 09:00 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,281,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbear182 View Post
I realize their has been a lot of discussions about this topic and I don't know if this story has been addressed, but I think it speaks for itself. I just don't understand why parents don't get their kids vaccinated. Below is the intro and a link to the full article. My heart goes out to the parents, but i bet they wished they had thier child vaccinated.

A childhood illness that has mostly been curbed through vaccinations has killed one child and sickened four others in Minnesota, health officials said Friday.

The five children were infected with a bacterial infection known as Hib: Haemophilus influenzae type b.

Three of the affected children had not received any vaccinations, including the 7-month-old who died, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

"The situation is of concern," said Dr. Anne Schuchat, director of the National Center for Immunization and Respiratory Disease at the CDC. "It could be happening elsewhere, and of course it's tragic that one of the children actually died from a preventable disease."

Hib primarily affects infants and children under 5 years of age. The vaccine prevents pneumonia, epiglottis (severe throat infection) and meningitis, which is an infection of the covering of the brain and spinal cord, caused by the bacteria.

One in 20 children infected with Hib dies, according to the CDC. And survivors of the disease can become deaf; 10 to 30 percent have permanent brain damage.

Rare sickness kills child; officials urge vaccination - CNN.com
I wouldn't trust anything the cdc says...they lie..all the time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting