Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Parent seeking advice how to discuss gun issue with friend’s parents, concerned with son going over to their house, good family, do not want to offend them

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2009, 01:14 PM

4,253 posts, read 9,449,299 times

Advertisements

If your child gets bitten by a large dog and it leaves a scar on the child's face, don't tell me that you will not have a heightened sense of threat whenever there is a large dog around your child.

If your child gets approached by a man in a washroom asking for favors don't tell me that you won't have a heightened sense of danger every time your child needs to use a public washroom.

If a ER calls you telling that your child is in there because of this ..... accident, don't tell me you won't have a heightened awareness of the cause of the accident in future.

You will be PAST theoretizing of the POTENTIAL danger.

Reading about this woman's first-hand experience (shooting death, no less) and keeping to chuckle about stairs and slippery floors and other trivial "dangers" - well,...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2009, 01:17 PM

1,009 posts, read 874,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuala View Post

If your child gets approached by a man in a washroom asking for favors don't tell me that you won't have a heightened sense of danger every time your child needs to use a public washroom.
I believe it is irresponsible to let a young child use a public restroom without your supervision/presence in the same restroom. Then again, maybe that's just me.

Old 01-25-2009, 01:18 PM

Quote:
If your child gets bitten by a large dog and it leaves a scar on the child's face, don't tell me that you will not have a heightened sense of threat whenever there is a large dog around your child.

If a ER calls you telling that your child is in there because of this ..... accident, don't tell me you won't have a heightened awareness of the cause of the accident in future.

You will be PAST theoretizing of the POTENTIAL danger.

Reading about this woman's first-hand experience (shooting death, no less) and keeping to chuckle about stairs and slippery floors and other trivial "dangers" - well,...

I know people who have been in combat during wars who are less paranoid and absurd about otherwise normal life situations than the OP.

Old 01-25-2009, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioUberAlles View Post
I believe it is irresponsible to let a young child use a public restroom without your supervision/presence in the same restroom. Then again, maybe that's just me.
We've had this explosive thread about public washrooms, and believe me, I don't want to go there.

Just a single example: a mother with a 9-10-13 year old boy won't go to a men's washroom, and the boy is past visiting women washrooms.

Old 01-25-2009, 01:21 PM

Quote:
I know people who have been in combat during wars who are less paranoid and absurd about otherwise normal life situations than the OP.

Nope, they are not. And I'm speaking from experience. They may SEEM normal, but you don't know what's going inside of them.

Old 01-25-2009, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Nope, they are not. And I'm speaking from experience. They may SEEM normal, but you don't know what's going inside of them.

No, they ARE handling it better. They tell me about the tough times and some of the stuff they wind up doing, but they don't bring it into all aspects of their life and in how they deal with their friends. Some people can hack it, others are not able to hack it. Either you're a hacker or a non-hacker, that's how it goes.

Old 01-25-2009, 01:27 PM

733 posts, read 1,927,626 times
It's a matter of if you trust those parents to have their guns safely stored away. In my opinion that is: in a gun safe that the child DOES NOT have access to, period.

We have lots of guns in our house, Mainly because my DH is in law enforcement. It's not something we can avoid. HOWEVER, we can avoid being careless. We have two gun safes, and are at this very moment, doing a remodel that will hold a very large gun safe to put all the guns, ammo, etc.

As it is we have the safes in our locked bedroom for the guns, the ammo and the rest of his gear on a separate room that is locked and the kids do not have access to...ever.

Old 01-25-2009, 01:28 PM

Quote:
No, they ARE handling it better. They tell me about the tough times and some of the stuff they wind up doing, but they don't bring it into all aspects of their life and in how they deal with their friends. Some people can hack it, others are not able to hack it. Either you're a hacker or a non-hacker, that's how it goes.
I agree people handle it differently (people handle any stresses differently). I live with a "hacker", as you say. Thanks God.

However, these dangers concern children, and hacking/non-hacking doesn't really apply here when you are responsible for young life.

Old 01-25-2009, 01:28 PM

1,986 posts, read 4,065,064 times
Quote:
How can you speak for everybody? I've known men who have been through absolutely nightmarish experiences in combat, and never allow it to take control of them. They lead normal lives with families and everything. It's all in where you put it, in your past, or keep it in your present and your future.

Old 01-25-2009, 01:33 PM

1,986 posts, read 4,065,064 times
Quote:
I agree people handle it differently (people handle any stresses differently). I live with a "hacker", as you say. Thanks God.

However, these dangers concern children, and hacking/non-hacking doesn't really apply here when you are responsible for young life.
It does apply. People who have been to hell and back are still capable of raising healthy, normal, happy kids without being overprotective and paranoid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting