Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-18-2009, 07:57 AM

6,764 posts, read 22,065,882 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dj32 View Post

I don't know about you all, but I've found myself thinking of this situation- when I am frustrated with my one child, getting out the door, or getting ready for bed. I stop myself and think, what if I had 8 kids, or 14 kids, what in the world would I do now? That is why this is so baffling, baffling that she finds the time to go to the store or get a manicure. I can barely find the time myself. What in the world is happening behind the scenes here?
This whole story is surreal. Most people with a large number of kids would have to be very organized, extremely self sufficient or have a lot of help. I have read numerous stories of people with 'just triplets' that have neighbors, volunteers and family helping out with feedings and so forth.

Can you imagine the organization necessary to minimally care for the needs of 14 little kids? Even if this lady gets help from her parents, that's just 3 adults to 14 kids. Granted, you could give the older ones 'assignments' and pretty much 'devote yourself' to the babies but how about the emotional needs of these kids?

I wonder how many people are truly damaged in large families? I know any number of children in a family can 'be abused, ignored, whatever' but in a big family I do not know how you can emotionally be there for those kids when you are burnt out.

My grandmother was one of 8 kids and NOT one of her siblings had more than 3 kids. Several had none. She, herself, had one. I would love to know if people with lots of siblings (not Mormons or people who have them for their religion) actually wind up having a lot of children themselves?

I do believe we crave what we don't have....if this woman is a damaged only child, why could she not stop at a 6 kids--a goodly number for anyone...?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2009, 08:13 AM

14,975 posts, read 16,453,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySoul22 View Post
This whole story is surreal. Most people with a large number of kids would have to be very organized, extremely self sufficient or have a lot of help. I have read numerous stories of people with 'just triplets' that have neighbors, volunteers and family helping out with feedings and so forth.

Can you imagine the organization necessary to minimally care for the needs of 14 little kids? Even if this lady gets help from her parents, that's just 3 adults to 14 kids. Granted, you could give the older ones 'assignments' and pretty much 'devote yourself' to the babies but how about the emotional needs of these kids?

I wonder how many people are truly damaged in large families? I know any number of children in a family can 'be abused, ignored, whatever' but in a big family I do not know how you can emotionally be there for those kids when you are burnt out.

My grandmother was one of 8 kids and NOT one of her siblings had more than 3 kids. Several had none. She, herself, had one. I would love to know if people with lots of siblings (not Mormons or people who have them for their religion) actually wind up having a lot of children themselves?

I do believe we crave what we don't have....if this woman is a damaged only child, why could she not stop at a 6 kids--a goodly number for anyone...?
As I've said on this forum (maybe on a different thread about this woman), my mom is one of 6 kids. My grandmother was a single mom. I know they struggled A LOT....and all the kids were born in the 1940s and 1950s when it probably would have been far EASIER than today.

Neither my mom nor any of her siblings had more than 2 kids.

I don't personally know any families today with even 6 kids and I didn't know any with 6 when I was growing up. Any MORE than 6? And all the exact same age? Including multiple kids with severe disabilities? I will never understand this woman.

Old 02-18-2009, 08:39 AM

I knew one family when I was a kid who had 6 (I grew up in the 1970s..). They were a bit of an oddity, even for Catholic school. The other big family I knew had four kids. Otherwise, everyone else had, on average, three kids. When I got to college, all my good friends had 2 kids in their family or were only kids..or again, had three kids.

Oh, wait, I forget my good friend, Chris. He was the youngest of 7...all college educated...the father was a lawyer.

Old 02-18-2009, 10:12 AM

339 posts, read 1,518,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dj32 View Post
I don't know about you all, but I've found myself thinking of this situation- when I am frustrated with my one child, getting out the door, or getting ready for bed. I stop myself and think, what if I had 8 kids, or 14 kids, what in the world would I do now? That is why this is so baffling, baffling that she finds the time to go to the store or get a manicure. I can barely find the time myself. What in the world is happening behind the scenes here?
And go to graduate school with the 6, no less. Now with 14 she was still talking as if she planned to go back for a year and half to finish the masters degree in counseling. I know plenty of people that have gone through graduate school and I can say many had no kids at all and didn't have time to think about having children at that point in their lives. Those that did have children usually had kids that were able to be self-sufficient or they relied primarily on a significant other to be the primary childcare giver.

The bottom line is that when people go to graduate school or even work full time they can't really give their full self to their children and be there fully for them. So some sacrifice has to be made. But Suleman talks as if when if comes to her children, she makes no sacrifices and is there completely.... No way! Not with what she claims she does. Not to mention her statement about working double shifts to cover the cost of IVF - don't tell me she saved up enough for ALL seven IVF treatments before going in for any of them. I suspect she worked some of those double shifts for subsequent IVF treatments while already having an infant at home.

Old 02-18-2009, 10:25 AM

3,842 posts, read 10,508,743 times
I went to grad school when I was single & had no children & it was very, very tough.

I recieved my Masters in Education and I'd say that probably 75% of the candidates had families...you want to talk about sacrifice, commitment & discipline: families who support each other through schooling. But this nutcase doesn't know what those three things mean.

She wasn't even prepared to have the babies when she was pregnant, what the heck is going to prepare her to go back to school full-time?

Oh, that's right...EVERYONE ELSE will take care of the children & pay for things. My bad!

There is NO WAY she can go back to school in the fall unless she has literally dozens of people prepared to support her for the 2 years of schooling she has left.

On top of that, master's programs generally always require field work & she stated she wanted to be a therapist (SOOOO funny), so that mean several hours AWAY from family.

She's going to go back to school when she has 8 children who are 5 months old? Ok, yeah.

So many high profile people have jumped off her bandwagon of lies, deception and manipulation..

But, there are enough enablers out there who will give her what she needs & support her in unhealthy habits. And that is really quite sad & pathetic.

Again, it's never about the kids. It's always & always has been, about her.

Old 02-18-2009, 10:57 AM

The stuff this family comes up with is just classic.

Her mother's repsonse to the fake lips:

"She attributed her swollen lips to pregnancy weight fluctuations"

Sorry, but 2 weeks after giving birth, the weight gain is not left in THE LIPS...what a bunch of...there aren't even words for this family & the way they try to explain the painfully obvious.

Old 02-18-2009, 11:29 AM

1,986 posts, read 4,065,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 121804 View Post
The stuff this family comes up with is just classic.

Her mother's repsonse to the fake lips:

"She attributed her swollen lips to pregnancy weight fluctuations"

Sorry, but 2 weeks after giving birth, the weight gain is not left in THE LIPS...what a bunch of...there aren't even words for this family & the way they try to explain the painfully obvious.
I think that mother is even more ignorant than Suleman herself.

I've heard of pregnancy causing swollen ANKLES, but swollen LIPS?????

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA, C'mon. Do they actually think the general public is that stupid???

Old 02-18-2009, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormy night View Post
I think that mother is even more ignorant than Suleman herself.

I've heard of pregnancy causing swollen ANKLES, but swollen LIPS?????

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA, C'mon. Do they actually think the general public is that stupid???
Well, every woman responds differently & some women do suffer from swollen faces, (the name is slipping me)...but a PREGNANT woman who sees EXTREME swelling in her lips, eyes, or hands is suppose to immediatly seek treatment. My ankles would swell a little if I was standing too long when I was pregnant...but there is a real condition that PREGNANT women get that can be lifethreatening for the babies....

But to say that the swollen lips are still super swollen TWO weeks AFTER delivery when NOTHING else on her face is swollen....

If the reporters would ask if she ever had collagen injected...then the lie could be caught. But everyone keeps asking about plastic surgery, which collagen injections ARE NOT..

It's a sick family (mom, dad, and the daughter) and now 14 children are subjected to grow up in that sickness.

Old 02-18-2009, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 121804 View Post
I went to grad school when I was single & had no children & it was very, very tough.
I also went to grad school while single. I worked full time and had 4 classes a night and in one term also on Saturday mornings.

I can't see 1) how she can do this with so many kids or 2) why she is going into counseling when she seems unstable herself.

Old 02-18-2009, 11:48 AM

2,856 posts, read 10,429,058 times
Yeah, i wouldn't go to HER for counseling if she was the last one on earth.
Not to mention she has 14 kids to support and going into counseling which will make you all of 40 grand a year prolly isn't the best option...She'll STILL need support
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting