Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-04-2009, 01:44 PM

1,692 posts, read 3,528,563 times

Advertisements

I hope the medical part of this is investagated. It just makes no sense. Because someone didn't follow what was set as guidelines or she lied whatever it will come back to those couples who just want a child. As there wioll have to be something set up so that this doesn't happen again. In doing that will insrances stop covering some of the proceedures. It will in the end hurt the medical people and women who do follow the guidelines. I find it interesting that the Women or her spoke person doesn't like to talk or give too many details about how she became pregnant with 8 babies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2009, 02:09 PM

3,257 posts, read 6,110,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sampaguita View Post

Whatever process she went through to get pg with 8 is actually NOT easy to do - there's something more here that's unknown or not yet being reported. I do not know of any RE that would even consider transferring that many embryos into anyone let alone a 33 yr old woman with her history. As my RE would say, that decision would make an RE the laughing stock of his/her colleagues and it's just not a safe, ethical or medically sound decision.
I thought i read somewhere that she had been on fertility drugs for so long they were claiming she was implanted with less embryos but they split because of all the drugs she was on. I don't have a clue if this is possible since I've had all my children without fertility help.

Old 02-04-2009, 03:07 PM

13,366 posts, read 28,604,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuSuSushi View Post
It doesn't matter who the father(s) are, other than for possibly collecting some child support. Just think, we get to support this parasite and her fourteen children until they all turn 18. Hurray.

God, some people just make me sick.
Agree and as a side note the doctor who performed this should be slapped upside the head

Old 02-04-2009, 03:43 PM

3,106 posts, read 9,092,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taboo2 View Post
I thought i read somewhere that she had been on fertility drugs for so long they were claiming she was implanted with less embryos but they split because of all the drugs she was on. I don't have a clue if this is possible since I've had all my children without fertility help.
The fertility drugs do not cause embryos to split. If that were the case, women would only be able to do a certain number of cycles per year per life cycle and embryos splitting would be more common place. Embryo splitting occurs in <2-3% of IVF pregnancies (the percentage depends on who you're talking to - one RE I know said <1%).

Old 02-04-2009, 04:28 PM

3,257 posts, read 6,110,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sampaguita View Post
The fertility drugs do not cause embryos to split. If that were the case, women would only be able to do a certain number of cycles per year per life cycle and embryos splitting would be more common place. Embryo splitting occurs in <2-3% of IVF pregnancies (the percentage depends on who you're talking to - one RE I know said <1%).
I must have read it wrong. Octuplet birth raises ethical questions -- Newsday.com (http://www.newsday.com/news/health/ny-lioct0412423780feb04,0,6804101.story - broken link)
"Doctors argue for fewer, in part because there is a possibility a single egg could split into two after implantation, producing twins. Four splitting into eight would be highly unlikely."

I think she travelled out of the country to get this done and this is why she showed up 12 weeks pregnant at Kaiser.

Don't you usually have an OBGYN set up BEFORE you start IVF or fertility treatments?

Old 02-04-2009, 04:53 PM

797 posts, read 2,984,073 times
Everyone is super concerned about what doctor in their right mind would help this woman do this, the answer is simple... they wouldn't help her, she lied.

If she actually did work in a fertility clinic she likely knew what to say and what not to say to get what she wanted. She probably never told the doctor she had other children. This explains why she showed up at the hospital 12 weeks pregnant. She could have even taken the embryos home and transferred them herself, perhaps that is why she only expected one at best to actually implant. Who really knows what she did to manipulate and get what she wanted.

She's not the first person to make a huge mistake and she will PAY for it for a long long time. (and so will the children)

Old 02-04-2009, 10:50 PM

8,231 posts, read 17,255,492 times
My own, personal conspiracy theory here is that she was planning to sell them. I think she was planning on 4 or 5 and got double- surprise!- I have a hard time believing anyone could be so crazy to just have a dozen kids.

Old 02-05-2009, 02:03 PM

12,406 posts, read 18,904,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoLoveLost View Post
sorry, not against you either...lol just it wasn't about agreeing with your statement, but adding to the scientific aspect of the conversation you were having...

man,I can't say anything right today........
Ha-ha. I lose track of these 'who did what to whom' things after a while. I really don't know what you said, but - take a deeeeeeep cleansing breath -

Old 02-05-2009, 02:06 PM

12,406 posts, read 18,904,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimimomx3 View Post
My own, personal conspiracy theory here is that she was planning to sell them. I think she was planning on 4 or 5 and got double- surprise!- I have a hard time believing anyone could be so crazy to just have a dozen kids.
You never know.
Maybe that is why she wanted the whole thing kept quiet. But then, would she not have already sold the 6 she had before this batch? I think the oldest is 6 or 7.

Old 02-05-2009, 03:18 PM

9,718 posts, read 6,398,676 times
This article was in my paper today.........Octuplets' mom had six kids before divorce last year
Children came from in vitro fertilization, not from husband.....
Octuplets' mom had six kids before divorce last year
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting