Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2009, 11:04 AM

2,027 posts, read 4,209,453 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabolissa View Post
Well, let's see. What was it that you said in your PM to me? That you wanted to find a forum to discuss how hard it is for some people who need to register, even if they were convicted on an accusation of some sort?

As for your opinion on the legal system: my assumption is based on your bashing of the "sympathetic juries" who are partial to the accuser's stories, and then your dismissal of a adjudication based on your ASSUMPTION that all judges are former-prosecutors (and therefore also impartial)...

Since your dad is a defense attorney, and you work in his law office, you are familiar with the legal process. It sure sounds like you have a lot of excuses (partial juries, partial judges, imbalanced advantages to the prosecution, improper hearsay evidence)...
Wow, are you on crack now? I never sent you a private message, ever. In fact, I demand that you take this issue to a moderator to determine who sent the message because I refuse to be accused of something I didn't do.

My experience is in one town with a VERY unbalanced legal system. Most of the judges are former prosecutors, and I may have been a bit harsh because many of them do a pretty good job. My mom is a former prosecutor turned judge and I think she's pretty fair. It's usually the elderly prosecutors turned judge who are a bit uneven in their handling of cases. And juries, I don't trust juries that much. They go more on their "feelings" about a case than the actual evidence. Occasionally you'll get some good jury members who remind everyone that their job is to determine based on the evidence and whether the prosecution met the burden of proof but you can still tell which cases were determined based on personal feelings (and it's not all of them, by the way). Clearly you want to misinterpret everything in my previous post, which is fine by me. I can waste my time on this board all day backing up my previous assertions. But you better check yourself and get a moderator involved on the private message issue because I never said any such thing in a private message to you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2009, 11:58 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,228,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tangodoodles View Post
I actually agree with you on this one. People get way too hysterical about this stuff. The database exists for a good purpose but sometimes people use it in the wrong ways like to target these people. For all we know, the offenses occurred a long time ago. For all we know, they were 22 and slept with a 17 year old. For all we know, they aren't pedophiles, or rapists. Buck up people, you and your children aren't personally being targeted by these people, let them continue on with their lives.
We have one about 2 blocks from our house. He wasn't a rapist or pedophile, so seriously, what could he have done that should scare me? These days you can end up listed as a sex offender for peeing in public

Old 02-02-2009, 12:18 PM

2,027 posts, read 4,209,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
We have one about 2 blocks from our house. He wasn't a rapist or pedophile, so seriously, what could he have done that should scare me? These days you can end up listed as a sex offender for peeing in public
Yup. I'll give you a ridiculous case that came through my mom's courtroom. It's not a sex offender case but I think it's relevant in terms of getting in trouble for anything. We have a highway back home that is two lanes each way. The first lane is for fast cars and the second lane is for slow cars and a lot of 18 wheelers. A woman was driving about 50 in the first lane (the speed limit was 70) with a line of about 15 cars stuck behind her and two trucks in the second lane which meant that no one could pass her. It took her more than 5 minutes to pass the truck on her right enough that the person behind her could go around her. When the man behind her passed her, he moved over to the first lane and slammed on his brakes to force her to go even slower than before and realize what she'd been doing. She didn't hit him and I doubt he would have wanted her to because he was driving a BMW. He was charged with assault with a deadly weapon. Luckily, my mom said she had some luck convincing the DA and the defense attorney to reach a deal that didn't include a felony on the guy's record but clearly the DA's office, at least in my hometown, is willing to take some of the most ridiculous cases to court and still attempt to get exorbitant punishments for ridiculous or stupid actions.

Old 02-02-2009, 12:45 PM

1,016 posts, read 3,056,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
Who needs to whip it out and pee in public? I don't want my kids having to look at your privates just cuz you didn't pee before leaving home! Come on people!

Old 02-02-2009, 12:50 PM

1,986 posts, read 4,066,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tangodoodles View Post
Sorry if you don't agree, but molestation is now the de facto allegation against anyone if you want to get them in trouble. .....Maybe parents should be less concerned with total strangers and more concerned with the people they currently have in their lives.
I agree here. There are a lot of people railroaded because it's a way to keep someone away from someone else. A girlfriend gets mad, WHAM, he's on the list. It is WAY out of control.

Quote:
Who's paranoid? Paranoia is a thought process characterized by excessive anxiety or fear, often to the point of irrationality and delusion.

This is a real concern. Not one to become anxious over, but one to be aware of, nonetheless.
The only real concern is in your head. That definition EXACTLY covers what is the general atmosphere AND what is put forth on this thread. Paranoia. Yep, it fits

Old 02-02-2009, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Who needs to whip it out and pee in public? I don't want my kids having to look at your privates just cuz you didn't pee before leaving home! Come on people!
Duh, so that means he should be put on a sex offender list???????? Have you no sense?

Old 02-02-2009, 02:15 PM

1,016 posts, read 3,056,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormy night View Post
Duh, so that means he should be put on a sex offender list???????? Have you no sense?
A guy whips it out, exposes himself to some kids. A cop drives by, and arrests him for indescent exposure, etc. At trial, he claims that he was just peeing (defense strategy), even though he really was a flasher.

If the shoe fits. Sorry public pee-ers. Take it inside already.

It's like if you're robbing a bank with a toy gun and someone has a heart-attack in line. You're still going to be charged with murder as an indirect result of your actions.

If you're naked in public, you better be ready to deal with the consequences.

Old 02-02-2009, 07:51 PM

Quote:
A guy whips it out, exposes himself to some kids. A cop drives by, and arrests him for indescent exposure, etc. At trial, he claims that he was just peeing (defense strategy), even though he really was a flasher.

If the shoe fits. Sorry public pee-ers. Take it inside already.

It's like if you're robbing a bank with a toy gun and someone has a heart-attack in line. You're still going to be charged with murder as an indirect result of your actions.

If you're naked in public, you better be ready to deal with the consequences.
So, you're assuming that every guy who pees outside is actually exposing himself to kids, not just peeing? Wow, you have some serious problems in this area. How many guys have you seen on the street with their penises out of their pants looking at kids? I've never seen even one. You sound like there are perverts lurking everywhere, when in reality, they are not.

Although I do not condone outside urination, most times, that's all it is.

Old 02-02-2009, 07:59 PM

2,905 posts, read 7,349,962 times
You know, this thread is of particular interest to me today.

When I moved to the town I live in now, I checked the sex offender registry (didn't want to move in next to one if I could avoid it.)

One of the houses I looked at but didn't buy, was bought by someone that I've actually met and become friends with.

Well, she said that not long after she moved there, a sex offender moved in on the street.

Now the sex offender lives on the second house on the street, which is off a Major route in our small town.

She lives a mile up the road, long , winding, narrow, country road.

Across this main road, where the sex offender's house is house number two, is the town "family center" where women and young children hang out.

In front of the first house on the road (remember sex offender's house is number two) is the BUS STOP for the pre k, Kindy, 1-3 school, and 4-6 school.

My friend and her DH and neighbors have called the police and school.

The school said the bus cannot come up the street because it is narrow, and there is no turn around. the friend informed them that the land owner at the end of the street was fine w/using his property for turnaround and she got a business to agree to gravel the area. btw, the bus company agreed to this plan, then the school said they don't have the budget to go up there, or something to that effect. wtf!!! I mean seriously! This is ridiculous.

A sex offender, a BUS STOP, and a FAMILY CENTER all within 50-100 feet /yards of one another! Something is wrong with this picture......

Last edited by mommytotwo; 02-02-2009 at 08:11 PM..

Old 02-02-2009, 08:10 PM

2,905 posts, read 7,349,962 times
Ok, I had to run off to catch Medium on tv but apparently it was on at 9, not 10 and I already missed it.

So anyway, anyone got advice on what should be done about this?

Basically there are about 8-10 cars at the bus stop in the AM and PM to see the kids onto the bus. I told them to call the police department and tell them that this creates a hazard, that if the road is so narrow that these cars are posing a hazard because ambulance and fire would not be able to get by this number of parked cars. I though that they might make the case to move the bus stop because of this.

The told me that there are several of the older kids who get off the bus and walk home, at least a half mile up this quiet street.

I was especially concerned about that because since the parents of those kids are working, it would be hours before anyone might notice their absence.

I thought a sex offender couldn't live w/in a certain distance of a school. Wouldn't a bus stop sort of be an extension of the school?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting