Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2009, 03:31 PM

414 posts, read 1,862,724 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by colleeng47 View Post
I'm going to have to weigh in with the majority on this issue. I've always made my kids BD parties a "no gifts please" affair. I know other parents appreciated not having to buy ANOTHER gift for their child's friends. I explained to my kids that having the BD party is their gift because they got to spend a fun time with their friends. We, of course, always got them something they really wanted, but otherwise, no presents. My immediate family would usually give them a card with money, which mom took to buy something worthwhile (clothes, books, a trip, etc.)
My girlfriend and her husband are minimalists and are raising their child this way. For his first birthday (we just went in November) she had a large get together after Thanksgiving because all the family was in town. She asked on the invitation "If you wish to give a gift to celebrate Caden's first birthday, please make a donation to the I.M. Sulzbacher Center for the Homeless (a local homeless shelter here)." The ones who still wanted to give a gift did so anyway without a registry or list and others did in fact give to the homeless shelter.

I know I'm getting on my soap box, but here goes anyway. I think that people today (not just kids) have too much of everything. The child won't remember the birthday and you can have just as much fun with your family and friends without gifts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2009, 03:41 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,707,497 times
While we're on the subject, I know of a woman who moved into a new house with her boyfriend, threw herself a house warming party and registered for gifts!

I understand that the OP is trying to avoid filling her small house with unwanted gifts, but the use of a gift registry should be limited to brides and baby showers, IMHO.

Old 01-30-2009, 03:46 PM

3,842 posts, read 10,511,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crash330 View Post
The child won't remember the birthday and you can have just as much fun with your family and friends without gifts.
Nor do you have to force your 1yr old to sit through the opening of gifts. They want to play with one, not 50 & you feel obligated that they smile & look happy for all 50. "No, Sally, you can't play with that toy right now. You have to open up #13 and make sure to smile for the camera!"

And we wonder why children's bday parties are such a bummer?

Old 01-30-2009, 06:40 PM

1,636 posts, read 4,228,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cabolissa View Post
Problem is that the OP wants pricey quality gifts that she can't afford to gift herself. Maybe if she forwent the 100 person party, she could get the pass to the zoo?

What I meant by quality was books or puzzles or a zoo pass (which is 40 bucks by the way) rather than plastic loud obnoxious toys (which can be expensive too) for example. That is all I meant by quality.

I said over and over again that I just want everyone to come and enjoy. But the grandparents have insisted that the "family" is going to bring gifts. The hundred person party is costing me50 bucks! I'm volunteering at the park district in exchange for the room and pizza. If I were to have it at my parents house and invite less people, it would cost more because I would have to spend WAY more than 50 bucks to feed even 40 people (grandparents 8, sibings 10, cousins 7, aunts uncles 20, close friends and me my husband and daughter).

So, I AM doing it as inexpensive as possible. My mother gave me the idea of a registry. I am leaning towards a list that I give all 4 sets of grandparents and if anyone asks them, they can forward the information via email or word of mouth.

I see some people's point about a child not understanding her first birthday or remembering it, but there is no way she WON'T have a party, sorry. I think after this however, it would be grandparents and my siblings and their kids and as some said, just cake and a family get together.

Old 01-30-2009, 07:34 PM

1,986 posts, read 4,066,657 times
Inviting 52 'close friends' to a first birthday party seems a little extreme, not to mention 37 siblings, aunts, uncles and cousins. How well do ANY of them know your daughter? I've seen 50th wedding anniversaries with less people.

Do all your relatives and those 52 friends have such huge parties for all their kids?

I just find that really offensive.

Old 01-30-2009, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormy night View Post
Inviting 52 'close friends' to a first birthday party seems a little extreme, not to mention 37 siblings, aunts, uncles and cousins. How well do ANY of them know your daughter? I've seen 50th wedding anniversaries with less people.

Do all your relatives and those 52 friends have such huge parties for all their kids?

I just find that really offensive.
Offensive? Don't get it

Yes, they all have HUGE parties. We are always invited. Both our parents are divorced and have remarried and have children who have children. The grandparents all have big families with children too. Close friends are Godparents and their kids, not to mention the people I babysit for who I've known since highschool. And also my husbands crew at the fire department. So yes, the 40 something I CAN'T go without. But they all invite us YEARLY to their bdays and holidays and barbaques(sp?)

Like I said. I wanted to ONLY invite our CLOSE families and a couple of CLOSE friends, but THAT would be offensive to the people who we regularly use as a part of our everyday lives!!

If that offends you, I will tear up you invite right now

Old 01-30-2009, 07:57 PM

1,986 posts, read 4,066,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miasmommy View Post

If that offends you, I will tear up you invite right now
OH, MAN!!

BUT, BUT....

Old 01-30-2009, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormy night View Post
OH, MAN!!

BUT, BUT....

Ok, you can come, but you must get a gift off of my registry

Old 01-30-2009, 08:34 PM

2,868 posts, read 9,552,301 times
You can always make a 'wish list' at TRU. I am sure you can put a small message along with it..Like anything from Melissa and Doug, GC's to the Zoo etc etc... I made a wish list for my dd. Instead of thinking of ideas to tell everyone, I just tell them to check her wish list...

Old 01-30-2009, 08:38 PM

4,253 posts, read 9,452,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miasmommy View Post
But they all invite us YEARLY to their bdays and holidays and barbaques(sp?)
52 parties a year... plus kids of theirs... There are 365 days a year. You go to a party every 3-4 days?????

But seriously - you are lucky to have a great huge pile of people around you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting