Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2009, 11:30 AM

2,568 posts, read 6,748,696 times

Advertisements

So I am not over reacting? My dh thinks I am. I am going to contact the school system first to see if they offer any services. If not I will go through my insurance.
Thank you for your input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2009, 11:37 AM

2,568 posts, read 6,748,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrstewart View Post
Well, my husband is a physician and I am going by HIS information, not the internet...SM can most definitely be a sign of bigger issues...especially if left untreated.
I am sure he showed other signs. I can not believe that SM by itself will cause a person to be violent.
When I was a teenager a went to a dinner where there was a man who never spoke. It was explained to me that he never spoke around people other than his wife. Now that I think back he must have had SM. He was happily married and he was nice to me.

Old 02-02-2009, 11:49 AM

2,091 posts, read 9,045,187 times
it never hurts to get it all checked out. Besides, even if it turns out she just is very painfully shy, you'll have some more resources and all on hand that will be helpful anyway.
Good luck!

Old 02-02-2009, 02:21 PM

13,784 posts, read 26,244,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzie02 View Post
I am sure he showed other signs. I can not believe that SM by itself will cause a person to be violent.
When I was a teenager a went to a dinner where there was a man who never spoke. It was explained to me that he never spoke around people other than his wife. Now that I think back he must have had SM. He was happily married and he was nice to me.
Oh no no no...that is not what I meant...SM can evolve into bigger issues with the social isolation that comes with it, bullying, etc...at least that is what DH said...The VT shooter was diagnosed SM as a young teen, maybe younger, but no one did anything and probably didn't know what to do.

He was probably at a bigger disadvantage being the child of immigrants who did not speak much English in the home so the SM was probably chalked up to lack of exposure to a common language.

To the OP, I just know your sweet daughter will be fine with the proper guidance and with such an attentive mother.

Old 02-03-2009, 10:27 AM

8,309 posts, read 38,766,834 times
Quote:
I have 3 yo who is very chatty at home but at school she will not say a word. She has been attending pre-school for 6 months now and loves it. I have been reading what to do to help her. At first I though she was just shy but there is more to it. I have attempted to bribe her if she speak to her teacher to no avail. She just freezes and laughs nervously. Should I take her to a therapist? Should I just let it go?
I would love to hear the opinions of others on this subject. Thanks
Suzie,

I'm sure that there are a lot of very frightening and negative statistics and studies that present convincing arguments explaining why you should be afraid, very afraid, for the well-being of your daughter. I would say that if you are satisfied that there is not a medical issue and that your daughter is learning in school, don't sweat it too much. Certainly continue to encourage speaking, but try not to go overboard with worry. The kids who are just shy or have a block to get over eventually do get over it. I think that there is a certain point at which more immediate concern is warranted, but three years old is definitely not the tipping point.

My aunt and uncle had some real problems getting one of my younger cousins to talk at school. He was a real chatterbox at home, obviously sharp as a tack and a completely normal little boy, but he absolutely refused to say word one at school. Seriously, not a peep.

In spite of heroic efforts on the part of several teachers, counselors and his parents, this little boy just refused to talk in anything even remotely resembling a public forum.

No one knows what happened, but when he entered fourth grade he decided to start talking. He's not shy, he's not even reserved. He's loud. He just needed to make up his mind that it was time to start talking away from home. I don't know how to explain it. It was truly baffling.

Old 02-03-2009, 02:04 PM

1,016 posts, read 3,055,728 times
Quote:
She is beyond shy. I have offered her bribes to greet her teacher. No matter how much she wants the item she freezes and can't speak. She will hug her though. Also when other children try to play with her she turns away from them. She does love school and she is learning.
If she is "beyond shy" she's likely experiencing a high level of anxiety. Talk to your pediatrician first, and they can refer you to the right therapist (psychiatric or speech). Although the school may have services to offer, I believe we should take these issues up with our health professionals first. School funding is way down in this economy and it may be more of an health/emotional issue rather than educational.

Good luck!

Selective mutism - Definition, Description, Causes and symptoms, Demographics, Diagnosis, Treatments, Prognosis

Old 02-03-2009, 03:07 PM

157 posts, read 780,393 times
Hi! We are struggling with the same issue with my 5 yo daughter. She has (probably) a very mild form of selective mutism. I have consulted with a child psychologist from an anxiety center, and the school psychologist.

She has always been "shy" with adults, but we never though much of it, untill the end of preschool (when I realized she went almost the whole year without uttering a word to her teachers). She started K this year, and I was very concerned. Fortunately, she does seem to be outgrowing it. She has always been talkative with other kids, once she got to know them. Her anxiety is focused on adults, the teachers, aides, some aunts and uncles, and of course strangers. This year with some encouragement, understanding, talks, and frankly more maturity, she is able to speak in class, and talk to the teacher.

There is hope!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting