U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2009, 07:03 PM

2,395 posts, read 4,098,722 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabolissa View Post
The only way to teach a child Spanish is to speak it to them. I don't recommend TV to teach anything - human contact is best.
I have to disagree on the TV part. My dd Spanish vocabulary is beyond what we would have ever taught her. There are words you just never use at home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2009, 08:37 PM

396 posts, read 656,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cabolissa View Post
The only way to teach a child Spanish is to speak it to them. I don't recommend TV to teach anything - human contact is best. If you don't speak it, hire a "mommy's helper" or nanny who speaks Spanish and both of you learn it. Immersion's the only way for them to get a real handle on it.

!
I agree.

My 3-year old is bilingual, but only because his father is spanish-speaking. It's just the constant repetition that has done it, and whenever I have a spanish-speaking sitter or whomever, I always request that they speak to him en espanol...

Old 02-04-2009, 11:11 PM

2,588 posts, read 3,700,625 times
TV can help. If that's your only option, then go for it. Dora is useless. They'll speak a couple of words here and there and teach the kids to count to 5. Useless. You'll need something more along the lines of Sesame Street in Spanish if you have to go the TV route. Eventually, though, live interaction is what will make it stick. Have you heard of meetup.com? Maybe there is a Spanish speaking group in your area or maybe you can form one.

Old 02-08-2009, 10:49 PM

206 posts, read 474,029 times
Thanks everyone for the suggestions. She loves watching Dora & pretty much knows all of the Spanish words used on the show. I must admit that I am a little scared & confused about how to utilize Craigslist.

Someone asked why I thought it was important. Well, in the United States, Spanish is set to become (if not already) one of the most spoken languages (2nd only to English). Furthermore, Hispanics are either the # 1 or #2 minority. Which means many companies are looking for individuals who can speak the language of the customers that they are trying to attract.

Finally, but most importantly to me, my daughter loves learning and from what I can see she is like a sponge. She absorbs everything so why not plant the seeds now?

Old 02-08-2009, 11:47 PM

7,209 posts, read 8,966,287 times
Dora really isn't enough. If she's picking up on it, I'd say move on to Sesame Street and other kid's shows all in Spanish. Sesame Street especially has actors who speak slowly and use so many colors and graphics that it will be easy to pick up the vocabulary without having any English repetition.

Obviously TV is not the best answer, but it's certainly something.

As far as your daughter having Spanish speaking playmates, is it possible to look into local community centers and churches to see if they have any volunteer English as a second language programs? You could volunteer to teach English to parents and have your daughter play with the kids in the daycare set up for them, or organize with your pupils play dates. The parents can practice English and your daughter will get to use Spanish. Plus you'd be giving back to the community and setting a great example of volunteer work for your daughter. My ex's sister is going that route (and I'm only allowed to speak to the kids in Spanish when I see them... even though they're much more fluent than I am after a year of this!).

Old 02-09-2009, 12:46 AM

2,395 posts, read 4,098,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pennylove76 View Post
Thanks everyone for the suggestions. She loves watching Dora & pretty much knows all of the Spanish words used on the show.
Did you look into the programs in V-me? I found this (http://www.vmetv.com/_files/_official_pr/FinalEnglishRelease_0305.pdf - broken link)description in English for you.

I recommend Vme - Las tres mellizas bebes (http://ninos.vmetv.com/tres_mellizas_bebe - broken link). My dd loved this one when she was 2. It has a very short story, a little song and then a vocabulary section. Its target age is toddlers that are leaning vocabulary.

Quote:
Someone asked why I thought it was important. Well, in the United States, Spanish is set to become (if not already) one of the most spoken languages (2nd only to English). Furthermore, Hispanics are either the # 1 or #2 minority. Which means many companies are looking for individuals who can speak the language of the customers that they are trying to attract.
This true for jobs in the service industry. In medicine it is probably helpful.
In manufacturing is not as important.

Quote:
Finally, but most importantly to me, my daughter loves learning and from what I can see she is like a sponge. She absorbs everything so why not plant the seeds now?
Definitively give her what she asks for but don't push her. My dd learned all the letters between 24 and 27 months. She just loved it. One day my MIL tried to teach her to read and kept at it after she was tired After that she didn't want to know anything about letters. She forgot all of them. Now finally a year later she is interested again. Now she wants to write them.
This reminds me of another great program in v-me is Los Supernumeros (http://ninos.vmetv.com/numberjacks - broken link) (Here is the English description.) My dd now sleeps with her foam numbers and goes around reading all the speed limits numbers

Good luck.

Old 02-10-2009, 08:24 AM

1 posts, read 851 times
Are there any Spanish Playgroups in Austin?

Old 02-10-2009, 10:28 PM

515 posts, read 857,189 times
You can also try flashcards, spanish music cds for kids?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting