Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2009, 12:38 PM

207 posts, read 704,656 times

Advertisements

Any suggestions for teaching my almost 3 year old a foreign language (preferaly spanish)? I am interested in finding a program that does tutoring for her age group or maybe hiring someone to come to the house. I am hoping to find some sort of program that is in a group setting & costs about ....$50- $100 for say 6 weeks of the classes. Sort of how they do the ballet & gymnastic classes.

Any suggestions as to how I would go about finding classes would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2009, 12:46 PM

2,568 posts, read 6,748,696 times
I do not know any classes but I recommend watching cartoons. Specifically channel V-me
My 3 yo loves all their programming and it is very educational.

Old 02-02-2009, 01:01 PM

2,856 posts, read 10,429,058 times
Some preschools have spanish in their curriculum, i would look into that.

Or you could find a private tutor on craigslist or an ad in the paper. But just an FYI finding one for $50 for 6 weeks of lessons will be tough. I would say at least in my area a private tutor would cost you at least 150 for 6 weeks, 1 class a week.

Why is it so important to you that your daughter learn spanish if obviously YOU dont speak it or you could teach her yourself?? If she doesnt NEED it now, then just have her watch Dora etc and in Kindergarten MOST teach spanish at least the private schools do.

Old 02-02-2009, 01:10 PM

1,261 posts, read 6,103,628 times
Depending on where you live, you may find classes for toddlers/preschoolers through private companies or the county. I suggest posting your question in the forum where you live for input on resources in your area.

If you don't have classes readily available, you can expose your child to Spanish through bilingual TV programs (e.g., Dora, Diego, Dragon Tales), music (my daughter loves The Little People CD "Cantemos en Espanol"), Spanish DVDs (Brainy Baby Spanish) or by playing Baby Einstein or other children's DVDs in Spanish (most have this option). Some public libraries offer storytime in Spanish. Another good option is to look for Spanish playgroups in your area. You can even start your own.

Like PP have said, there are preschools that offer Spanish as part of their lessons and many schools offer it starting in grade school.

Old 02-02-2009, 01:10 PM

1,986 posts, read 4,065,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KH02 View Post
Some preschools have spanish in their curriculum, i would look into that.

Or you could find a private tutor on craigslist or an ad in the paper.

Why is it so important to you that your daughter learn spanish if obviously YOU dont speak it or you could teach her yourself?? If she doesnt NEED it now, then just have her watch Dora etc and in Kindergarten MOST teach spanish at least the private schools do.
I would stay away from Craigslist. You don't know who you might attract.

It's important because the younger kids learn a second language, the better off they are. It's been proven that bilingual kids do better in school, something to do with the organization of their brains.

You might find a computer program for tots that teach language. Also, depending on where you live, maybe a spanish speaking babysitter.

You could always get yourself a program and teach her yourself as you learn. Words and short phrases could be a starting point, then later find someone to speak to her on a regular basis in spanish. Tots learn second languages best just by listening to it and having conversations; casual exposure.

Old 02-02-2009, 02:25 PM

15,860 posts, read 21,427,956 times
One class a week isn 't even worth it, honestly. Even with young kids who absorb it, that's not enough to show any results.

It needs to be a day to day thing. I'd look for DVDs of her favorite shows and movies and Spanish and only allow her to watch those- no TV in English. There is a Latin Sesame Street that is excellent- I remember watching it when I started to learn Spanish.

Old 02-03-2009, 05:13 PM

515 posts, read 1,329,953 times
Watch Dora the Explorer. Try showing her items and naming them in spanish.

Old 02-03-2009, 05:24 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,928,948 times
If you don't get any Spanish cable in your town, rent Spanish language cartoons. I never thought I'd ever hear myself say this, but make him watch cartoons on TV for at least an hour a day.

Old 02-03-2009, 05:45 PM

6,764 posts, read 22,065,882 times
You can get Spanish cds/dvds (try your library) or go online and google teaching preschoolers Spanish for ideas.

Maybe you can find a friend who is Latina/Hispanic and your daughter can play with her.

Old 02-04-2009, 03:37 PM

1,016 posts, read 3,055,728 times
The only way to teach a child Spanish is to speak it to them. I don't recommend TV to teach anything - human contact is best. If you don't speak it, hire a "mommy's helper" or nanny who speaks Spanish and both of you learn it. Immersion's the only way for them to get a real handle on it.

Source: my husband and I are bilingual, and are raising our 2 kids sucessfully bilingual as well. My 12 year old speaks both. My 18 month old is spoken to in both English and Spanish equally. We say things like: "Want some water? Quieres agua?" We literally say everything twice, English/Spanish. It works!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting