Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2009, 11:16 AM

733 posts, read 1,928,018 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Cat View Post
I am going to the gun show and possibly pick up a couple of "toys".
Not to rag, and I'm not..... but guns should never be referred to as "toys". Guns are *tools*, for a specific purpose, and really should be presented that way.

As someone else said, when they are viewed (or treated) as toys they tend to be handled carelessly. As responsible gun owners, we should educate people that they are not toys but tools that serve a purpose....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2009, 12:20 PM

7,454 posts, read 13,425,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoLoveLost View Post
but guns should never be referred to as "toys". Guns are *tools*, for a specific purpose, and really should be presented that way.

As someone else said, when they are viewed (or treated) as toys they tend to be handled carelessly. As responsible gun owners, we should educate people that they are not toys but tools that serve a purpose....
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenn02674 View Post
I have a bit of a different take on it. I don't have a problem with guns themselves really, I just don't like it when people treat them like toys or like a certain gun because it could blow somebody's head off. So i would have less of an issue of actually taking your son out to learn how to properly teach your son to shoot than I would with toy guns. If you teach your son to respect guns, respect what they can do, and learn how to take care of them and shoot properly, that is fine in my opinion. If I ever caught my son even play shooting at someone, he gets in big trouble.

Toy guns are not allowed in my house but I would let him go shooting with someone I trusted and respected to teach him to respect guns. I would not want him going to a gun show simply because there are going to be a whole lot of people that do not respect guns and I don't want to expose him to that at that age.
No arguement here

Old 02-03-2009, 12:35 PM

17,029 posts, read 30,919,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Cat View Post
Ever since he was a little boy he always showed interest in weapons. He excels at war and shooting related video games (but not at school). So the week of Valentine's Day there's a gun show coming up and I want to bring him with me. The wife does not like his interest in guns but I don't see anything except a boy being a boy. My 2 year old also prefers to play with her brother's toy guns rather than dolls and other toddler toys.
What's your take?
I don't see a problem with it. Good opportunity to see and learn about guns with a responsible adult. It would be better if more parents taught (or provided) proper education about firearms. So that the kids will be more responsible with them (as responsible as kids can be I guess). To often gun play is picked up from video games, TV, and movies.

Old 02-03-2009, 01:20 PM

2,412 posts, read 5,083,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
Did you just read Dean Winchester's post?

See my point now....
You obviously are unfamiliar with his chosen name charactor on Supernatural... It's a gun toting guy who shoots supernatural beings first and asks questions later.

Old 02-03-2009, 01:36 PM

I went to North Pocono high school in the 70's. We had a Rifle club, a shooting team, and a shooting range in the basement of the gymnasium. Nobody ever got shot.

I would imagine they don't have such a set up there anymore in this much more "safe environment" ideal system we've set up.

However, has all this "fear mongering" created a better class of students, individuals?? If statistics mean anything, than I would argue ..NO!

Too bad our "ideals" keep getting more and more restrictive to "keep us all safe", yet our generations seem to be devolving more and more into animals.

Same thing with our Easy bake ovens that used to be real miniture ovens, and our play chemical sets that used to actually have stuff that could blow up..but there used to be fewer accidents?

You used to just tell your kid...no jeffery don't knaw on your toy, it might hurt you. But instead we want the government to make the toy perfectly safe so jeffery can knaw on the paint to his little hearts content?

Maybe regard for safety and reverence for life should be taught more in school and home instead of "no johnny, you can't do this, and this and this anymore!

Old 02-03-2009, 01:43 PM

58 posts, read 139,651 times
Don't encourage him by teaching him how to use a gun or take him to a gunsshow...

THE BOY IS 8!!! hello??? somebody home?!?

Anything that can rip/destroy a newspaper or runs on gas is cool when ur 8...

If he was not playing with guns somewhere between 0 and 12 years old I'd warn you he was gay...but obviously he is like EVERY other boy in his age.
Let him play it out, there is only so much you can do with a gun...

He'll grow up don't worry...

Old 02-03-2009, 02:07 PM

1,570 posts, read 2,069,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
There is no need to encourage that.

My parents did not allow me to play with toy weapons and I never became interested in it either.
well that was because you have the gay gene. You are more interested in playing with dolls and the like than toy weapons

so had your parents allowed you you probably would have been a more masculine gay male

Old 02-03-2009, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 60-minutes-II View Post
well that was because you have the gay gene. You are more interested in playing with dolls and the like than toy weapons

so had your parents allowed you you probably would have been a more masculine gay male
Yeah he coulda been Rambolina!

Old 02-03-2009, 02:38 PM

36,520 posts, read 30,847,571 times
I was raised around guns and hunting and target shooting and I raised my boys the same. Now my grandkids are into guns. The oldest got his first .22 at 9. I think it is better to let them explore their interest than to make it taboo. There is nothing wrong with being a gun enthusiast as long as you are responsible.

Old 02-03-2009, 02:42 PM

5,475 posts, read 12,243,697 times
We girls like guns too!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting