Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2009, 03:05 PM

18,158 posts, read 15,616,786 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlineerik View Post
Don't encourage him by teaching him how to use a gun or take him to a gunsshow...

THE BOY IS 8!!! hello??? somebody home?!?

Anything that can rip/destroy a newspaper or runs on gas is cool when ur 8...

If he was not playing with guns somewhere between 0 and 12 years old I'd warn you he was gay...but obviously he is like EVERY other boy in his age.
Let him play it out, there is only so much you can do with a gun...

He'll grow up don't worry...
LMAO...whatever. My son will be 13 next week. He has been involved in shooting since he was old enough to hold a gun safely. Since he was 9 he has been shooting competitevly in youth smallbore and he is going to start Steel Challenge centerfire handgun competition this Spring. I have been competing myself for 20 years and he has wanted to do this since he went to his first match as a spectator. The shooting sports are NOT an abnormal interest. It's good clean fun and the older shooters at the matches treat my son like he's made of gold. It's a sport like any other and teaches safety, respect, sportsmanship and responsibility. He plays baseball and does junior rodeo and races motocross too, but his favorite sport is shooting. We have a lot of fun and the folks at the matches are just plain, good, honest people. The kid has a natural talent for shooting that is almost prodigal, I'm teachng him how to reload ammunition as well and that is showing him a new world of mathamatics and physical science that has booted his grades in those subjects at school considerably. I just flat do not understand some peoples intolerance and disdain for the shooting sports. It's a great thing for kids to be into and my son and I will have many years enjoying it together. The way he's going he could very well end up going pro. To the OP....I highly reccomend encouraging an interest in shooting for both your son and you. You will find that the shooting sports has a LOT to offer and the class of people you will meet will pleasantly surprise you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2009, 03:46 PM

54,494 posts, read 33,856,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Cat View Post
Ever since he was a little boy he always showed interest in weapons. He excels at war and shooting related video games (but not at school). So the week of Valentine's Day there's a gun show coming up and I want to bring him with me. The wife does not like his interest in guns but I don't see anything except a boy being a boy. My 2 year old also prefers to play with her brother's toy guns rather than dolls and other toddler toys.
What's your take?
There's nothing wrong with having interest in firearms, and video games are just that, and not how things are or should be in the world. Kids are also exposed to worse stuff than video games these days.

It should be up to you also, as a parent, to let your children know that we have our freedom to bear arms, but there is a very heavy penalty to pay for misusing that freedom.

I was taught how to handle firearms when I was 10. I'm 52 now, and I never had any problems, and I know I never handle firearms in an unsafe manner.

Old 02-10-2009, 01:58 PM

58 posts, read 139,597 times
I just don't see the point in teaching boys at very young ages skills they can use to kill another person. This does not mean I don't understand the thrill of fireing a live gun. Those who have been to war or lost somebody in a school/street shooting know what a gun can really do.

Old 02-10-2009, 02:00 PM

7,005 posts, read 21,328,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlineerik View Post
I just don't see the point in teaching boys at very young ages skills they can use to kill another person. This does not mean I don't understand the thrill of fireing a live gun. Those who have been to war or lost somebody in a school/street shooting know what a gun can really do.

Have you heard the saying: "With Great Power Comes Great Responsibility"?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting