Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-07-2009, 11:37 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,469,728 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PassTheChocolate View Post
Though I agree having kids can be selfish (getting knocked up for financial security) and it can be altruistic (being a surrogate), procreating is not meant to be atruistic or charitable. It is our God given right and, for the most part, instinctual. We are born with the plumbing for a reason.
You were born with an appendix too. We don't need to use everything we were born with. Some parts/functions are optional.

Children are not a "God given right". They are people and we are obligated to do right by them if we choose to bring them into this world. They're not toys God promised us. They are not something we have a right to. What we are is responsible if we choose to have them and that means making darned sure you're in position to give them the best start in life given that we are the ones who chose to burden them with whatever life we've handed to them. They don't have a choice and it's not your God given right to have them. They're not some perk in life you were promised by God. They're people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2009, 11:40 AM

9,230 posts, read 16,518,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post

Just because you can do something doesn't mean you should.

How arrogant is it to think you have a God given right to have kids. What are they, some kind of perk we're promised in life?

They're people and we need to think long and hard and make sure we're ready to have them before we burden them with the life we hand them. They, unfortunately, for better or for worse, have to live with our choices.
Good grief, people. READ. We are equipped for procreation, so it is a God given right for those of us who are able to procreate. I never said anything about having babies just because we can. It's is not a right anyone should abuse or take for granted.

Old 02-07-2009, 11:44 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,469,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PassTheChocolate View Post
Good grief, people. READ. We are equipped for procreation, so it is a God given right for those of us who are able to procreate. I never said anything about having babies just because we can. It's is not a right anyone should abuse or take for granted.
I did read. You called having children a God given right. Apparently, God picks and chooses who has this right based on whether or not the plumbing works . How arrogant.

The plumbing working doesn't mean God gave you the RIGHT to have kids. It just means you're lucky the plumbing works. It speaks nothing to what you have a right to.

You were born with an appendix too. Does that mean you have a God given right to get appendicitis?

Edited to add:

I wish it did work that way. That would mean being born with a brain would mean we had a God given right to use it . That would eliminate a lot of these debates wouldn't it?

Old 02-07-2009, 11:55 AM

37,496 posts, read 45,805,567 times
Quote:
I did read. You called having children a God given right. Apparently, God picks and chooses who has this right based on whether or not the plumbing works . How arrogant.

The plumbing working doesn't mean God gave you the RIGHT to have kids. It just means you're lucky the plumbing works. It speaks nothing to what you have a right to.

You were born with an appendix too. Does that mean you have a God given right to get appendicitis?

Edited to add:

I wish it did work that way. That would mean being born with a brain would mean we had a God given right to use it . That would eliminate a lot of these debates wouldn't it?
Perhaps we are getting a bit too literal here. Unfortunately, people DO have the right to procreate as they see fit. (Obviously, there are physical impairments that can severely impact their efforts.) There was a thread recently that spoke of requiring people to be licensed before they could become a parent. While something like that would of course, never come to pass (at least not in THIS country) it sure would get my vote.

Old 02-07-2009, 12:06 PM

3,089 posts, read 8,500,292 times
Quote:

I find the appendix issue tie in very well with this issue. We do not need an appendix and some are born without. Evolution has also been able to kill diseases and viruses too some are born immune to AIDs and their was another virus that was eradicated due to evolution I forgot it happened in Europe 100s of years ago.

My point is that the only thing that evolution has been slow to catch up with is reproduction. We do not need to reproduce at 12 because we now live a lot longer then 25. Vast majority of us do not live in tribes and do not go out and hunt our food. The world is overpopulated and we are seeing people make it to 100+ in record numbers.

I do not think it is a god given right I think it is an evolutionary flaw. Even if evolution caught up with the fact that we no longer need to reproduce as much as we once did people will turn to science way before they walk into an orphanage.

Old 02-07-2009, 12:14 PM

838 posts, read 1,872,545 times
Someone once said "there are lies, damn lies, and statistics". You can't plan your life around statistics. You can't go into a marriage thinking about the number of divorces. Ivory suggests if you get married at 24 you should wait 'til 30 to have children to see if the marriage "sticks". If that's your plan, you probably shouldn't have gotten married to begin with.

So people should wait until they're well-educated and well off financially before they have children? Only 27% of Americans have a college degree. So 73% shouldn't have kids?

This is preposterous. If a couple want to have children in their 20's, who are you to tell them they're selfish.

Old 02-07-2009, 12:27 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,625,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
Perhaps we are getting a bit too literal here. Unfortunately, people DO have the right to procreate as they see fit. (Obviously, there are physical impairments that can severely impact their efforts.) There was a thread recently that spoke of requiring people to be licensed before they could become a parent. While something like that would of course, never come to pass (at least not in THIS country) it sure would get my vote.
While I admit that sometimes I wish some people didn't have children, I would never vote for anything that would allow the anyone to administer medical treatment--especially abortion of all things--on an unwilling person. That kind of thinking scares the bejeezus out of me. I imagine there's a few people in this thread who would rather I had aborted my disabled daughter.

I'm glad that would never happen in this country. I'm willing to endure the occasional wacko to preserve my freedom ... I'm selfish like that.

Old 02-07-2009, 12:28 PM

It would stand to reason that if God chose to give me a working uterus, he is giving me the right to use it. I do not have the right to abuse it or be irresponsible with it. But I already said that, twice.

My point got lost in the fog. Having children is not meant to serve the greater good, to be charitable or altruistic - though it can be if we choose to. The desire to have children is not selfish - though it can be.

Hopefully that's clearer now.

Old 02-07-2009, 12:36 PM

Quote:
I've never heard of the "right" to have appendicitis or anyone wanting it, like kids.

Old 02-07-2009, 12:40 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,625,050 times
Also, the "50% of marriages end in divorce" is a myth. It's based on bad math. It's true that the current divorce rate is about half the current marriage rate, but most of those divorces are occurring among people who are already married, and those people are not part of the current rates. All you can do is look at married people who subsequently got divorced, at that number peaked at about 40% in the 80s. It's been going down ever since.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting