Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2009, 03:41 PM

1,022 posts, read 3,371,076 times

Advertisements

NV, my kids don't wander around alone, either. There has to be at least two of them, just in case! I don't want someone getting hurt and being alone.

Sounds like you live in a great community! That's fantastic!

Old 02-15-2009, 10:04 AM

13 posts, read 20,985 times
Default Responding to my original post

Hello, just wanted to apologize for starting this original mess. I originally sent in my post because i checked the RSO list in my town (Dansville NY) and was shocked to see how many men were listed. My main concern was what could be done to warn others of this, after seeing several level 3 offenders who molested children under the age of 10. Sorry to say, but it seems like everyone got side tracked to other subjects, mainly teenagers having sex with other teenagers, which if you think back, it could have been something we all might have done. We also compared drug users and murderers to RSO's, which really confused me. I guess the only option I am left with is to just hope that everyone has the sense to check out a reputable RSO list for their area, and warn others to do so also. These people are in our neighborhoods, and it seems to me that most are hiding out, hoping that no one discovers who they really are, so it's up to us people to be vigilant and stay informed on these animals. thanks for your time.

Old 02-15-2009, 10:30 PM

35 posts, read 290,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormy night View Post
These are good thoughts. The highlighted sentence puzzles me as well. Would people rather live near a convicted murderer or drug dealer? Would they rather allow their kids to play with kids whose parent has been convicted of child abuse?

I think the reason people focus so intently on sex offenders is that the registries DO exist. That just plain makes them (SOs) more evil.

Drug offenses are what scare the crap out of me. There is a young man in our area. He was a senior last year and a star on the local high school basketball team. He sold drugs to kids at parties for a long time before he was caught. He went to court, the judge slapped his hand and he was allowed to continue to play basketball. He was caught AGAIN and again, they slapped his hand and released him to the custody of HIS GIRLFRIEND'S PARENTS to live with them. He offended AGAIN and is now looking at jail time.

My point: How many lives did he touch in the time between his first conviction and his last? Who picked up his 'torch' when he was finally forced to lay it down?

You see, with sex offenders, the offensive behavior is contained in that person, but with a drug dealer, there are many, many people involved from very powerful down to the seller on the street. What makes drugs more frightful is the fact that there are millions of dollars involved, not just a fettish; GREED, guns, death.

Be as paranoid as you want, but there a lot of other things I would worry about more.

There is a huge difference between someone selling drugs and someone committing a sexual offense. People who buy drugs make a CHOICE to buy drugs. People don't choose to be victims of sexual assault. What a stupid comparison

Old 02-16-2009, 12:25 AM

12,711 posts, read 13,479,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadisonM View Post
There is a huge difference between someone selling drugs and someone committing a sexual offense. People who buy drugs make a CHOICE to buy drugs. People don't choose to be victims of sexual assault.
This has already been discussed: yes, some do choose that, when it is consensual "statutory rape" that is being talked about.

Old 02-16-2009, 12:26 AM

12,711 posts, read 13,479,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
16 year old kids shouldn't have sex. Period.
We'll just have to disagree on that. Period.

Old 02-16-2009, 05:53 AM

1,986 posts, read 4,066,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadisonM View Post
There is a huge difference between someone selling drugs and someone committing a sexual offense. People who buy drugs make a CHOICE to buy drugs. People don't choose to be victims of sexual assault. What a stupid comparison
What a stupid notion.

Kids on playgrounds don't CHOOSE to buy drugs when they are given to them on candy, etc.. Women who are blind sided by date rape drugs don't CHOOSE that for themselves. What about the housewife addicted to perscription drugs? She may buy by choice, but can't control that urge no more than the every day junkie on the street. And the list goes on...

Old 02-16-2009, 05:58 AM

1,462 posts, read 4,867,923 times
Unfortunately although sex offenders are required to register, they also have rights. Can you believe that one?? I know, it angers me too. Also, a sex offender may not be more than someone who slapped a girl on her butt or maybe it is his word against hers type of thing. We just don't know. The most important thing for you to do at this point is to educate your kids, watch their computer usage and cell phone usage and above all keep an open line of communication with them. Unfortunately in this life we don't get any guarantees that our children will be safe 100% of the time nor are we guaranteed that we will be safe either. All we can do is work with our kids at all times to ensure their safety and that they are smart about what can happen to them.

Old 02-16-2009, 06:15 AM

12 posts, read 15,866 times
Well, why are you curious about sex offenders and why are you looking up these kind of informations in the first place.Why not about terrorist or like the previous forum about drug dealers or killers. They do more destructions than sex offenders. Why don't you worry about your life and let others live in their freedom. There are sex offenders all around you. To your right, left, front and back. Your neighbor might be one. Who knows. Worry about your life and not others. No offense. Thanks for this topic. Its my point of view.

Old 02-16-2009, 06:23 AM

14,975 posts, read 16,461,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djacques View Post
We'll just have to disagree on that. Period.
Protection is not always 100% effective...it just isn't. Do you think 16 year olds need to be parents? And, that and the risk of STD's aside, do you really think they are emotionally mature enough for sex?

Old 02-16-2009, 06:24 AM

14,975 posts, read 16,461,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Connecticut Pam View Post
Unfortunately although sex offenders are required to register, they also have rights. Can you believe that one?? I know, it angers me too. Also, a sex offender may not be more than someone who slapped a girl on her butt or maybe it is his word against hers type of thing. We just don't know. The most important thing for you to do at this point is to educate your kids, watch their computer usage and cell phone usage and above all keep an open line of communication with them. Unfortunately in this life we don't get any guarantees that our children will be safe 100% of the time nor are we guaranteed that we will be safe either. All we can do is work with our kids at all times to ensure their safety and that they are smart about what can happen to them.
What do you think should happen to them? No rights? Excatly what does that mean? How far would you go with the "no rights" thing? Don't get me wrong, they need to be punished (very severely for certain types of sex offenses). But you can't strip them of basic human rights permanently.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting