Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2009, 04:53 PM

1,532 posts, read 2,647,436 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisdol View Post
Every time I see the title of this thread I think "WHY, oh WHY would we want them to have even more energy?".

I know!!! I always tell my son "That's the last thing you need is more energy!"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2009, 11:31 AM

1,577 posts, read 3,698,972 times
I dont think there's anything really wrong with it. It helps them like it helps anyone else get a start to the day.

Old 05-01-2009, 12:17 PM

515 posts, read 1,557,449 times
I was going to coffee... and drinking it... by the time I was aobut 5, with my great grandma. Been drinking coffee ever since. Dh doesn't like it, the kids don't like it, so that makes it my "guilty pleasure."

As for the energy drinks, only one of the kids drinks them, and she only drinks them occasionally, ie late night cram sessions, before a long drive, etc. She's also very careful about following the warning label on the can, "No more than two a day."

I do remember that caffeine did help my ADHD brother to calm a bit, and it seems to calm my 7 year old as well.

I guess in our case, taste is a big, big issue. They just taste so nasty, no one wants to touch them, except for the one daughter, so we're lucky.

DH is so funny about coffee, though. He says he really wishes he liked it, and has even tried to learn to, because he says it's free everywhere (work, etc)! LOL!

~D

Old 05-01-2009, 12:57 PM

1,532 posts, read 2,647,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackyfrost01 View Post
I dont think there's anything really wrong with it. It helps them like it helps anyone else get a start to the day.

It seems like the more they drink it, the more they need it to function. I don't want to start something like that with my kids. If they choose that when they are older that is fine.

I always hated coffee, and never drank it until I was in my late thirties. By this time I had two kids, an unbelievably busy life, and a full time job -with a great boss that started bringing me a vanilla mocha every morning from the coffee house! I needed all the help I could get!

Old 05-01-2009, 01:02 PM

17,998 posts, read 9,056,190 times
Drinking more than 4 monsters in 24hrs has the possibility of killing you. no matter what your age is.

Old 05-01-2009, 03:25 PM

1 posts, read 1,506 times
Hi I was in a local Nettos store in the Hindley area recently and I was shocked to see an older teenager buying an energy drink for a young 4-5 yr old and an older sibling no older than about 8yrs also had an energy drink. On mentioning this to the assistant she replied oh their parents are always in and giving their kids those energy drinks!!! so irresponsible!

Old 05-01-2009, 03:29 PM

1,577 posts, read 3,698,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsh1127 View Post
It seems like the more they drink it, the more they need it to function. I don't want to start something like that with my kids. If they choose that when they are older that is fine.

I always hated coffee, and never drank it until I was in my late thirties. By this time I had two kids, an unbelievably busy life, and a full time job -with a great boss that started bringing me a vanilla mocha every morning from the coffee house! I needed all the help I could get!

lol I hear ya. I found it actually helps with his Aspergers tho. Helps get his mind calmed. Its wierd, you'd think it would make him all wired, but it actually seems to calm him down a little.

Old 05-02-2009, 08:13 AM

1,429 posts, read 4,281,000 times
My kids don't drink them for the most part. My oldest has, but I make him buy his own.... and at 2 dollars a pop, he chooses to spend his money elsewhere. I am not going to sit here and pretend that the kids will never drink them or that I will not "allow" them to drink them.... I choose not to have it in my house nor do I buy them. I have always told the kids that when they have money it is THEIR money to spend on whatever they like. In the past they have blown their cash on frivillous jusnk, but they learned later that spending money just because you have it in your pocket isn't smart. They look at the prices on these drinks and think..... I can get two sprite or dr peppers for the same price... why would I want that? When Son has had these, it has been on feild trips or when he's out with friends. No biggie. I don't stress over energy drinks.... I save that for stuff like pot or alcohol. If any of my kids did those things, that is when I'd become evil and micromanage what they do. As for what other people do with their kids... that is their choice, I may not agree, but I do not have to live with those kids either. Ohhh BTW, when kids come to my house, they follow my rules... so far there hasn't been a big issue.

Old 05-02-2009, 10:56 AM

650 posts, read 2,178,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SubaruFiend View Post
I know of someone who is 22 and went to the hospital from a bad reaction to energy drinks! They are SOOO bad....... not just from the caffeine either. THey're loaded with sugar and most have other ingredients (Chemicals) like taurine and such that are just SOOOO bad for you. Now imagine KIDS with GROWING BODIES ingesting that crap! SO BAD!
A number of students at our local high school have been diagnosed with stomach/colon issues that have been attributed to caffeine/energy drinks. These products shouldn't be consumed by ANYONE, let alone children with growing bodies!

Old 05-02-2009, 11:02 AM

809 posts, read 2,883,759 times
personally, when I was a kid, i HATED pop. the fizz hurt and it was too sweet and it didn't take the thirst away at ALL. So I always hated soda! :P
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting