U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2009, 05:21 PM

436 posts, read 1,296,747 times

Advertisements

My 14 yo just bought himself and ipod touch. Unfortunately, the ipod has internet access. I am trying to find a way to put some parental controls on it but haven't found anything. Does anyone have any experience with this? Can you put parental controls on it? I don't really want my 14 yo to have free range of the internet. Who knows what he will be downloading.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2009, 05:34 PM

1,022 posts, read 2,979,068 times
Can they get a virus on their phone that will ruin it like a regular computer? My kids don't have phones, let alone phones with internet, but my sis-in-law does and she was wondering this.

Old 02-08-2009, 07:00 PM

63 posts, read 76,510 times
Unless he's somewhere with Wi-Fi, then the internet will not work. I think somehow you could disable the Wi-Fi on it?? Just a thought. And also... the iPod won't allow him to download things.

Old 02-08-2009, 07:04 PM

2,024 posts, read 3,693,548 times
Does he have his own computer or does he share a computer with the family? To have an iPod, touch or classic, you have to have iTunes. Is he using your iTunes account or does he have his own? There are two different methods for two different access points. On your computer, where you have iTunes, do the following (keep in mind, I have a Mac so I'm trying to remember if any steps are different for a PC:

1.) Open iTunes
2.) Select "File"
3.) Select "Preferences"
4.) There should be a tab on the menu that pops up labeled "Parental" or "Parental Control"
5.) Under this tab, you can change the settings so he can't buy or listen to explicit songs

Now for the iPod Touch. I have an iPod classic, which doesn't have internet, and I have an iPhone, which does have internet. I've been told that an iPod Touch is essentially an iPhone without the phone so the process should be very similar. On the iPod Touch, do the following:

1.) Choose the "Settings" icon
2.) Under settings choose "General," it should have a tiny picture of some cogs next to it, like the ones that turn in mechanical devices
3.) Under generel choose "Restrictions"
4.) Select "Enable Restrictions" and the phone will have you enter a password
5.) Under restrictions you can prevent access to any explicit songs he might have on his iPod, Safari (the internet on the iPod and iPhone is called Safari, this is the one you're looking for), Youtube, iTunes, Installing Apps (an extension of the iPhone store where he can download games, and Camera

Hopefully the two of you can come to some sort of agreement about this issue. I feel sort of bad selling out a kid because I can honestly say that sometimes the internet is so slow it isn't even worth it. Even if he did want to get in trouble with the internet, it would take him so long to load anything he'd probably get fed up.

Old 02-08-2009, 07:14 PM

436 posts, read 1,296,747 times
Thanks everyone! I was able to put on the restrictions so now I feel better. There is so much crazy stuff on the internet, I can only imagine what he would get into if I wasn't able to block anything.

Old 02-08-2009, 07:34 PM

1,986 posts, read 3,467,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tangodoodles View Post
Does he have his own computer or does he share a computer with the family? To have an iPod, touch or classic, you have to have iTunes. Is he using your iTunes account or does he have his own? There are two different methods for two different access points. On your computer, where you have iTunes, do the following (keep in mind, I have a Mac so I'm trying to remember if any steps are different for a PC:

1.) Open iTunes
2.) Select "File"
3.) Select "Preferences"
4.) There should be a tab on the menu that pops up labeled "Parental" or "Parental Control"
5.) Under this tab, you can change the settings so he can't buy or listen to explicit songs

Now for the iPod Touch. I have an iPod classic, which doesn't have internet, and I have an iPhone, which does have internet. I've been told that an iPod Touch is essentially an iPhone without the phone so the process should be very similar. On the iPod Touch, do the following:

1.) Choose the "Settings" icon
2.) Under settings choose "General," it should have a tiny picture of some cogs next to it, like the ones that turn in mechanical devices
3.) Under generel choose "Restrictions"
4.) Select "Enable Restrictions" and the phone will have you enter a password
5.) Under restrictions you can prevent access to any explicit songs he might have on his iPod, Safari (the internet on the iPod and iPhone is called Safari, this is the one you're looking for), Youtube, iTunes, Installing Apps (an extension of the iPhone store where he can download games, and Camera

Hopefully the two of you can come to some sort of agreement about this issue. I feel sort of bad selling out a kid because I can honestly say that sometimes the internet is so slow it isn't even worth it. Even if he did want to get in trouble with the internet, it would take him so long to load anything he'd probably get fed up.
I'm impressed. You're good. Seriously.

Old 02-08-2009, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormy night View Post
I'm impressed. You're good. Seriously.
Lol, I'm in college, it's my job to know this stuff. Who else would teach my parents?

Old 02-08-2009, 09:12 PM

1,986 posts, read 3,467,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tangodoodles View Post
Lol, I'm in college, it's my job to know this stuff. Who else would teach my parents?
Good for you!!!

My kids say the same thing. Got to teach those old folks how to adapt to the new technology.

Old 02-24-2009, 05:23 PM

1,022 posts, read 2,979,068 times
My daughter just got the ipod touch with her birthday money. I just want to thank tangodoodles! I remembered seeing this and came back to it for the directions on parental controls!!! THANK YOU!

Old 02-24-2009, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by treeg26 View Post
My daughter just got the ipod touch with her birthday money. I just want to thank tangodoodles! I remembered seeing this and came back to it for the directions on parental controls!!! THANK YOU!
No problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or