Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2009, 07:53 AM

1,986 posts, read 4,066,982 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitt_transplant View Post
Well maybe he is a good kid in general and thats the only thing he does. Its not really a secret or anything new that diet will influence a child's behavior.
There are multiple schools out there that have controlled "problem" kids with dietary changes. (google it up to read)
One reason it could happen at bedtime is the body has learned that bedtime will mean no sugar or dye or whatever and as the element leaves the fasting system or inflames the fasting system causing irritation and withdrawal. Ask anyone who has done low carb what sugar withdrawal is like. Another reason could be they are having to sit still instead of burning it off in the day. There is much more body and mind stimulation to react to than in the night. Its like when an adult drinks a pot of coffee and is told to sit still. Doesn't work out too well..lol. Also if anyone gets active before bedtime that will reawaken them. Adults or kids. (never exercise before bed rule) That wouldn't be as much as a problem in the day as night.
Or maybe he just plain doesn't want to go to bed and sleep.

He has gotten himself into a behavioral rut.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2009, 12:43 PM

339 posts, read 1,518,455 times
I actually wonder what is going on with the rest of the household when this child needs to go to bed. Sometimes a child doesn't want to go to bed when he/she knows or thinks the rest of the family members get to stay up and do things that he/she would like to be doing... like watching tv, using the computer, etc. In some cases the child may feel like bedtime is a punishment because they have to do something that no one else has to at that time and it brings to an end "fun" or "enjoyable" stuff. If this scenario is at play, then perhaps a FAMILY routine needs to be considered in which everyone winds down together.

Old 03-07-2009, 12:56 PM

1,009 posts, read 875,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usmcfamily View Post
No, no, no, you do not ever smack your 3 year old across the face.....never...

Ohio, you have posted some very disturbing posts...all is not well with you...please consider getting some help.........

If you want an unruly out of control child then why not just kick back, hand them the car keys, the credit card, the cellphone, and let them call the shots? My guess is you're a woman?

When you tell a child to go to bed, particularly at 9 pm, that means it is time to go to bed, period. If they interrupt you from sleeping what are you going to do, fall asleep when driving to work and crash the car?

Old 03-07-2009, 01:04 PM

756 posts, read 2,219,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioUberAlles View Post
If you want an unruly out of control child then why not just kick back, hand them the car keys, the credit card, the cellphone, and let them call the shots? My guess is you're a woman?

When you tell a child to go to bed, particularly at 9 pm, that means it is time to go to bed, period. If they interrupt you from sleeping what are you going to do, fall asleep when driving to work and crash the car?
LMAO -now I know you aren't serious. This post is so pathetic, no one would believe anyone could be that stupid?

I believe it's called TROLLING.

Old 03-07-2009, 01:07 PM

Quote:
LMAO -now I know you aren't serious. This post is so pathetic, no one would believe anyone could be that stupid?

I believe it's called TROLLING.

Right... Because nobody could be serious about expecting a child to obey his parents?

Old 03-07-2009, 01:09 PM

756 posts, read 2,219,152 times
Quote:
Right... Because nobody could be serious about expecting a child to obey his parents?
We aren't talking about obedience we were talking about idiots who think that the only way to get a 3 year old to obey is to smack em across the face.

Sorry, I have no more to discuss with you. We will never agree on parenting.

Old 03-07-2009, 01:23 PM

Quote:
We aren't talking about obedience we were talking about idiots who think that the only way to get a 3 year old to obey is to smack em across the face.

Sorry, I have no more to discuss with you. We will never agree on parenting.

It's far from the only way, but once you let things get so far gone that the kid will not listen, it may be the last resort.

If you raise your kids right from day one, you won't ever have to hit them. If you let them get so far gone in terms of being out of control, that they are running the show, the only way things will be salvaged is by smacking them or worse. Don't let it get that far and it won't ever come to that.

In my experience the kids that need to be beaten are the ones who have parents who never said no to them. They work hard to assure society will be blighted with a steady stream of out of control monsters and self-centered entitled brats over the next several decades.

Old 03-07-2009, 01:54 PM

14,975 posts, read 16,461,656 times
Quote:
the only way things will be salvaged is by smacking them or worse
Just curious...what do you mean by "or worse?"

Old 03-07-2009, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
Just curious...what do you mean by "or worse?"

Well after smacking in the face?

You could always use joint locks and compliance holds, those don't cause any serious pain, they don't cause any permanent injury, and it only hurts if the person tries to move in a direction you don't want them moving.

It's probably better to put an unruly and out-of-line kid in an armlock, than it is to hit him, punching a kid might cause permanent injury, an armlock wouldn't, unless he did something stupid and tried to get it out of the wrong way.

Old 03-07-2009, 06:42 PM

87 posts, read 373,042 times
Default Shocking

OhioUberAlles:

I am truly shocked at your comments. I am a parent, have never resorted to physical violence of any kind, and have wonderful, respectful, well-behaved children. I think it's important to teach children logical consequences to their actions, so they can grow up knowing what will happen in the real world. Most adults in the real world will not face physical violence for poor choices. You will simply teach them how to react out of fear, not use their brains to make better, more informed choices. From your comment about your childhood, it seems this is what you experienced, but just because you lived it, doesn't mean it's the best choice. I sincerely hope you will consider this and find a better way.

And let's remember, we're not talking about a mouthy 14 year old here. We're discussing a 3 year old who is having a hard time going to sleep. This is not an uncommon experience at all - lots of 2 and 3 year olds have sleep issues - not because they're being naughty but because they haven't mastered how to fall asleep yet. Lots of adults have a hard time with that too. And what do we do? Get up, read a book, get a snack - just like a toddler might do - except that they often go to the person who is their source of comfort and help in every other way and time. It's a time for patience and assistance, not anger.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting