Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2009, 10:09 AM

3,191 posts, read 9,182,553 times

Advertisements

aawww poor daddy.Hard to see them little gals growing up. But sounds like you want to be informed. Which is a good thing. Having a great dad helping her to bridge over to womanhood will surely give her self confidence. So important for young girls to have good men to look up to. She may wind up rolling her eyes and throw amazing temper tantrums with all the hormones changes. But usually we are all daddy's little girls at heart....
does that make sense??

IMO Get you some books (check the library too) and read up. Let her know you are there for her if she has any questions on growing up. Let her mom know too, that you are caring and being informed.And maybe she can let DD know you BOTH care for her a great deal, that is it perfectly okay for her to talk with Dad to if she is comfortable.

My DD was 10, 5th grade. Started at school.Poor dearie. Her teacher, bless her heart, was very understanding. And accomadating as to the 'extra' breaks DD needed to , ya know ,take care of business. I think, or hope, a lot of elementary school teachers are aware of the fact that the age of puberty seems to be lowering and may well be more understanding of these young girls changes and needs.

good luck Dad! It may get rough for a while, but stay the course! It will get better with time....usually

Old 02-10-2009, 10:28 AM

2,467 posts, read 4,860,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySoul22 View Post
I hear you...I was actually an early developer. Good thing I was mature in other ways and very well read.

My son is only about a year younger than I was when I was in puberty but he is so CLUELESS compared to how I was at his age.

Would you allow her to read some Judy Blume books? I know they may be a bit 'racy' but I read them as a 10 year old child and they helped me realize that all girls go through certain things. I recommend Are You There God, It's Me, Margaret. The girls in the book are all in 6th grade. (*maybe you want to read it first)
I was just thinking about that very same book as I started to read the OP's post.

Old 02-10-2009, 12:00 PM

1,022 posts, read 3,370,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyoquilter View Post
I was just thinking about that very same book as I started to read the OP's post.
I remember reading that book. I'm not sure how old I was. I would have to re-read it before I gave it to my daughter so I know what parts of it we should talk about.

I wish my girls weren't in such a hurry to grow up!!

Old 02-10-2009, 12:50 PM

1,806 posts, read 5,705,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoosier View Post
My daughter who is quickly closing in on 10 years old is complaining of her breasts hurting. She says they feel like they're pushing out. Now, as a dad I'm not sure what this is going to feel like, and isn't ten a wee bit too young? I do know she wants her breasts to grow and grow, but I'm just not sure what to think.

We have already begun to deal with mood swings and a sassy mouth (something she has never had). Do girl's voices change noticeably like boys do?
I remember puberty and it was not fun going through it as a child. Now, as a parent...I have a feeling it is going to be much worse!
10 could be about right - seems that was my case. And menstruation started at 11.
My voice was always on the low end, but it did 'mature'...

Are you ready? :P

Old 02-10-2009, 05:26 PM

1,036 posts, read 3,068,886 times
At our elementary school we have had a couple of girls start at 8, several.. maybe 10 or so that I know of that started at 9, age 10 is NOT unheard of to start your period.
Good Luck Dad.

Old 02-10-2009, 05:49 PM

5,019 posts, read 14,113,260 times
Quote:
I miss my little toddler girl!!
There there! We all miss our "babies", but they HAVE to grow up sometime!

Now, if you decide to go out and try to fulfill your neediness by say......having 8 babies at once....we will hunt you down and kill you.

Just sayin'.

Old 02-10-2009, 06:00 PM

3,570 posts, read 8,718,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plaidmom View Post
There there! We all miss our "babies", but they HAVE to grow up sometime!

Now, if you decide to go out and try to fulfill your neediness by say......having 8 babies at once....we will hunt you down and kill you.

Just sayin'.
No way!! I want to sleep again! I'm thankful for no more diapers, spit up on my clothes and putting half the house in the diaper bag just to go to the grocery store! Okay, maybe I can begin to accept this. I did speak to my wife and she affirmed that they are popping out a bit.

Old 02-10-2009, 06:14 PM

5,019 posts, read 14,113,260 times
Quote:
No way!! I want to sleep again! I'm thankful for no more diapers, spit up on my clothes and putting half the house in the diaper bag just to go to the grocery store! Okay, maybe I can begin to accept this. I did speak to my wife and she affirmed that they are popping out a bit.
The way they grow up is an awesome and amazing thing!

My wish for you is that you learn to love and accept the young woman that your daughter is becoming. It is not a bad thing. You did your job as a parent (yes? ) and now you get to watch her blossom!
Continue to give her love and gentle guidance, but accept that she is becoming her own human being. It is a good thing.

Old 02-10-2009, 08:18 PM

3,570 posts, read 8,718,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plaidmom View Post
The way they grow up is an awesome and amazing thing!

My wish for you is that you learn to love and accept the young woman that your daughter is becoming. It is not a bad thing. You did your job as a parent (yes? ) and now you get to watch her blossom!
Continue to give her love and gentle guidance, but accept that she is becoming her own human being. It is a good thing.
Oh, I love my daughter soooo much! She is such a daddy's girl and I'm excited for her and the changes that are happening. As a father I'm nervous because I know how boys get when girls have breasts. I'm not looking forward to that...and since I'm used to life without all that, well it's simply going to be a change.

She's always been her own person, only now it is even more evident. And I do agree it's a very good thing. Here's an example of our relationship. On her first birthday I brought home one single pink rose. On her second birthday she received two pink roses. In just a few weeks she is excited because she knows daddy will be giving her ten pink roses. It's just something between the two of us and I started it because I wanted her to know how important and how loved she is by her daddy. She's our first child, so that does play into it a bit too, but she is my baby girl and always will be.

Old 02-11-2009, 05:18 AM

11,642 posts, read 23,904,587 times
10 doesn't seem that young for a girl to start. I was 11 when I got my period so I assume I started developing breasts earlier than that. I think a little girl bra might help cushion her chest. I have seen bras aimed at the younger set at places like Target.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting