Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2009, 09:44 PM

267 posts, read 896,337 times

Advertisements

I guess it depends on how mature they are, and where you live. Here in South Dakota, kids can get their drivers license when they turn 14. Which means most of them are learning in the parking lots and on the back roads at 13.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2009, 05:00 AM

27 posts, read 88,739 times
I personally spent a good part of my youth on a very large ranch and at thirteen I was driving around it in a little rusted truck. I'd also drive the truck while the workers threw bails of hay on the back. I never drove on highways or town roads though, only our dirt roads.

Old 02-13-2009, 05:15 AM

1,461 posts, read 4,855,898 times
I think some parents let kids steer the car, drive from their laps or perhaps if they live on farms, they drive the farm equipment. I don't think it is a bad idea to familiarize your 13 year old with a car and how it works but at the same time let them know it is against the law and totally out of the question to drive a car on the road. I have the perfect example of what can happen in this situation. When my son was 13, he was with me and I had hurt my leg while we were out to the point where I could not drive or could barely drive. I drove from where we were to the hospital, however, after x-rays were taken, etc., he had to drive home which was probably a total of 2 miles. We had no choice. I was alone raising him, no family around, was new to the area, no friends....in an emergency, I see no harm in a 13 year old taking the wheel.

Old 02-13-2009, 06:12 AM

516 posts, read 1,959,495 times
My dad started teaching me to drive when I was 13 in a big empty parking lot on Sundays (when the stores used to be closed on Sundays!). I remember it well. The thing is that I absolutely could not wait to drive. All through my childhood I loved my toy cars, a slot car racing set, anything that had to do with cars. I think my dad was excited that I showed an early interest and figured why not support that?

I learned to drive on a manual 1978 Toyota Celica and absolutely loved it! When I was old enough to actually take driving lessons the instructor noticed my comfort level and said, "you've done this before, haven't you?"

I think that if a child shows genuine interest it's good to foster that (whatever it is) as long as you're not endangering anyone. I suppose my dad thought I was responsible enough to handle what I was doing at 13. I can't say that every 13 year old is, however. I'll have to make that determination with my own kids when they get to that age. I don't think you can make a blanket statement... it really depends upon the child. I do know, however, that it is taking a chance because it is illegal!

Old 02-13-2009, 06:19 AM

3,032 posts, read 8,903,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
I was actually kind of shocked to find this out but my daughter has a friend whos mother lets her 13 year old drive the car! I actually saw the video they made- and while it is in an empty parking lot- it seems rather funny that the mother would actually allow a 13 year old to take the wheel of a car. I have never known any kid that drove a car until they were at least 15 or so. Do you think this is OK or too young?
Hey, I see no problem with letting your kid have a spin in an empty parking lot. When my son was 13, I bought a new pickup, and I let him drive it the next day out on a private country road. No big deal, it's fun parent/kid time.

Old 02-13-2009, 06:28 AM

5,978 posts, read 19,850,155 times
We too have let our 14 yo drive the van in an empty parking lot starting last year. We bring a small cooler as pretend "cones" so she can learn how to park. It is the parking lot of a stadium and on a Sunday, it's empty. Kis here get a permit at 15 1/2 and can drive with an adult. We would never let her drive on the street though.

Old 02-13-2009, 07:13 AM

11,642 posts, read 23,834,301 times
I think its fine in an empty parking lot with adult supervision. I don't think it's fine on public streets ever. If you have an emergency call a cab.

Old 02-13-2009, 07:30 AM

3,702 posts, read 18,167,902 times
Like the other folks here, I started driving at 13 but only on the dirt roads on and immediately around the family property. We were actually "helping" to build a new house and barn. Since we were not much good for some of the construction work, we were sent to fetch things in the truck at the other end of the property where the main house was and up the road to another family member's house. We were never allowed on paved roads though.

Old 02-13-2009, 09:41 AM

300 posts, read 1,012,626 times
No way.
13 is too young.
16 is ju$t right in my opinion.

Old 02-13-2009, 09:53 AM

1,429 posts, read 4,269,694 times
Son has drivien my truck (blazer, now pick up) from the time he could see over the steering wheel. He would drive regularly about a 1/2 mile (with me in the truck). Two long driveways and about 50 feet of hardtop road. He got his first go-cart at age 6. We are going to get his permit in a week and a half. He has driven alone to the main road and back, to drop off a vehicle at a neighbor's house, to check the mail....

I think an empty parking lot at 13 with momma in the care is just fine,
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting