Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2009, 09:21 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,653,235 times

Advertisements

I was actually kind of shocked to find this out but my daughter has a friend whos mother lets her 13 year old drive the car! I actually saw the video they made- and while it is in an empty parking lot- it seems rather funny that the mother would actually allow a 13 year old to take the wheel of a car. I have never known any kid that drove a car until they were at least 15 or so. Do you think this is OK or too young?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2009, 09:40 PM

1,636 posts, read 4,216,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
I was actually kind of shocked to find this out but my daughter has a friend whos mother lets her 13 year old drive the car! I actually saw the video they made- and while it is in an empty parking lot- it seems rather funny that the mother would actually allow a 13 year old to take the wheel of a car. I have never known any kid that drove a car until they were at least 15 or so. Do you think this is OK or too young?
My father used to let me sit on his lap starting at like 6 or 7, in an empty parking lot. When I was maybe 12 or so he let me drive for real in the forest preserve.

It probably wasn't the best choice. But were we were at the time, there were few people around if any at all. Today, thought it is only like 15 years later it seems to be different.

I don't THINK I would let MY daughter drive at that age.

Old 02-12-2009, 09:50 PM

1,986 posts, read 4,051,501 times
My brother, being older than I, drove the farm truck to the dump (yes, down the road quite a distance) when he was 12. All by himself. It was a standard transmission. He was about 5 feet tall.

We both drove tractors around the farm at 10 and 12 years old.

So the 13 year old drives a car around a parking lot with a parent in the car. So? It's good practice.

Oh, and my 15 year old daughter often takes the wheel if I ask her to (If I have to blow my nose, etc.), going right down the road, around curves, in traffic.

Old 02-12-2009, 09:54 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,752,273 times
A bumper car? Sure.
A motorized car? Nooo.

Old 02-12-2009, 09:55 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,536,124 times
We plan to start taking our daughter to big, empty parking lots when she is 14 or so to practice driving.

Old 02-12-2009, 09:56 PM

3,191 posts, read 9,157,730 times
We let DD drive some around then, in a private parking lot. I got to drive young around families farms in old trucks, and parking lots. Don't see anything wrong with it as long as it is 'serious' and a learning experience. Depends on the childs personality and maturity. (OH edited to say this- an adult was always in the car...not alone)

and if they can see over the steering wheel

Old 02-12-2009, 09:59 PM

3,422 posts, read 10,867,542 times
Its probably not prudent for her to do it in a parking lot just because its not their private property. If someone was upset by it they could call the police and, well, it is illegal. They'd probably get a warning but you never know.

I think some 13 yr olds are skilled and mature (and big) enough to do so and do operate tractors, old trucks etc... on private property like ranches and farms. I think its a matter of the way they were raised and the experiences they had.

I would not give the keys to a 13 yr old whose only experience is playing grand turismo (or whatever the big driving game is).

Old 02-12-2009, 10:06 PM

1,986 posts, read 4,051,501 times
This actually brought back memories.. My brother drove quite a bit from the time he was about 12. I remember on hot summer days we occasionally went to the lake, and my mother allowed him to drive there from time to time. She would hold my two sisters in the middle, and I sat by the passenger door, holding it shut because the latch was broken. Wow, I had forgotten all about that.

I didn't get the opportunity to drive so young because he always hogged all the driving opportunities, but still.... fond memories.

Old 02-12-2009, 10:18 PM

3,672 posts, read 10,564,360 times
I was allowed to start the pickup truck for my dad in the mornings to warm it up when I was around 10. Told to back it away from the fence and up to the back door when I was around 11 or 12.

I got my learners permit at 14 and started driving on public streets (unaccompanied ) and with other kids in the car at 15. I got my license at 16 and have been going ever since.

It all depends on the maturity level of the kid. I would allow them to when they hit the streets and have to deal with traffic when they have demonstrated good skills and decision making. The private area with nothing but your own vehicle and property to deal with is a great place for a youngster to learn these skills without putting anyone else in danger.

Most skills learned in life are not age specific and people develop at different rates. I know some who I would trust to learn to handle a car at a very young age, perhaps 8-10 in a private area, other I don't trust well into their 30's.

Old 02-12-2009, 10:24 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,536,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisdol View Post
Its probably not prudent for her to do it in a parking lot just because its not their private property. If someone was upset by it they could call the police and, well, it is illegal. They'd probably get a warning but you never know.
That is a good point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting