U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2009, 10:28 AM

5,554 posts, read 5,811,795 times

Advertisements

[quote=dlineerik;7528954]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aylalou View Post

condoms ftw...
You're assuming that this age group is responsible, when even older people are not responsible. 12 years old is not an age for good judgment. They were lucky.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2009, 07:53 AM

58 posts, read 122,826 times
Maybie, but when it comes to STDs, they're a lot less comon here than in the states, and for some reason pregnancy control pills are being used by very young girls, even those who are not sexually active...some kinda status thing (which is ofc a moral debate every once in a while)
Though I among many other guys (and at least one of these guys I wrote about earlier) prefer condoms, since you never know what crazy ideas girls who say they take pills might get with actually having a baby...It's not like we guys get anything to say about it :S

Old 02-20-2009, 11:06 AM

3,254 posts, read 5,204,518 times
Well if it is a school boyfriend during school hours you can't really stop em. But i would not allow it to go outside the classroom. Sorry, but not on my watch. I knew 11 yr olds who were sleeping with boys and even though i was only 4 yrs older than them, it made me sick.

I may be old-fashioned but i've seen children doing things they ought not be doing. No dating til 15 yrs old and even then i will be watching like a hawk. I trust my kids, i just dont trust the boys.

Old 02-20-2009, 07:41 PM

63 posts, read 75,377 times
Sorry, I haven't been on in awhile, but from what I see in her AIM profile (OMG George, it's over... I dont like you at all), her and her "boyfriend" apparently broke up. She seemed like her normal happy self throughout the week (I don't know when the "break-up" occured) so I guess I'll just leave it at that. Thank you SO much though for those of you who gave advice. Raising kids and helping the grow up is SUCH a hard job and its great that other parents are out there to help those who need it.

Regarding what some said about these kids losing their virgitiny:
I truly believe that will not happen for a very long time. This may be a mature group of kids, but it was really nice to hear from my daughter's teacher that my daughter and a few of her friends told a boy who was claiming a girl wanted another boy's sperm. There is a lot of make-up wearing, slow-dancing at the YMCA Youth Nights, (I know a lot of 5 & 6th graders make that a big part of their social scene.. it's once a month and my daughter's are always looking forward to it!) swearing, etc. in this entire grade, I highly doubt even oral sex has crossed these kids minds.

Old 02-20-2009, 08:42 PM

1,448 posts, read 3,768,537 times
I had a "girlfriend" or two in 5th grade. At that age, all it was, was: "Oh you're cute" and you treat each other nicer. I may have held hands once or twice, and hugged a couple times, then you "break up" with them.

It's absolutely nothing to be worried about. Your kids will look back one day and laugh, just like I do!

Old 02-21-2009, 05:29 AM

2,406 posts, read 6,729,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
I think this type of stuff promotes the behavior discussed on the thread about the 13 yo dad. All I can say is that I STRONGLY believe that middle schools should be single-sex.
Wow such overreacting is very unhealthy.

It means nothing....definitely no reason for alarm. I would not make a big deal out of it or you will push her away. Just keep an open line of communication and she won't have to hide anything from you. BTW- at this age it means absolutely nothing....its just a learning process and they probably barely even spend that much time.

Old 02-21-2009, 06:31 AM

14,969 posts, read 13,590,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davachka View Post
Wow such overreacting is very unhealthy.

It means nothing....definitely no reason for alarm. I would not make a big deal out of it or you will push her away. Just keep an open line of communication and she won't have to hide anything from you. BTW- at this age it means absolutely nothing....its just a learning process and they probably barely even spend that much time.
I wasn't talking about the OP's situation. I was talking about a situation where another poster mentioned 5th graders being invited to parties where couples would sit in hot tubs together and the parents calling it "cute" and taking pictures. The poster also mentioned 5th graders sending 5,000 text messages to their BF's/GF's in one month.

Last edited by afoigrokerkok; 02-21-2009 at 06:43 AM..

Old 03-27-2012, 03:29 PM

2 posts, read 3,019 times
I have a daughter that is in 5th grade, and she has a friend that im pretty sure she thinks of as her bf. they sit together at lunch and talk on the phone. They have held hands multiples of times, and have been to each others houses. - i do not know what is to happen of the "gf and bf"

Old 03-27-2012, 03:32 PM

2 posts, read 3,019 times

Old 03-27-2012, 03:40 PM

24,511 posts, read 33,651,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
I wasn't talking about the OP's situation. I was talking about a situation where another poster mentioned 5th graders being invited to parties where couples would sit in hot tubs together and the parents calling it "cute" and taking pictures. The poster also mentioned 5th graders sending 5,000 text messages to their BF's/GF's in one month.
It's just 5th graders being 5th graders. Didn't you used to go to pool parties when you were in 5th grade? Did everyone stay out of the hot tub? You're over reacting. Nowadays 5th graders text all day long. 10 years ago, 5th graders IM'd all day long. 20 years ago, 5th graders conversed over the phone all day long. It's all the same.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or