U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2016, 05:37 AM

10,577 posts, read 7,269,557 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aidxen View Post
We do need to distingusih between spanking = punishment and beating the cr*p out of someone (= abuse).
The word 'spanking' is just a sanitized word that let's people say "I hit my kids" without using the word 'hit'.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2016, 08:31 AM

12,118 posts, read 9,870,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinmomma View Post
I am not trying to debate the whole spanking/not spanking delima. I am a parent that has spanked my son. He is 15 now and I haven"t popped his bottom since he was in early elementry school. The only time I ever spanked him was when he was when he was past the point of reason. IE: having a smart mouth after being warned he was working on getting a spanking, sitting on the edge of the road playing. I can count on one hand the number of times I've spanked him... always with my bare hand and two or three swats on the behind.

Here is my question: At what age should spanking stop?

My DSD who is 8 and isn't a behavior issue is being spanked in public by her momma. Her father hasn't popped her bottom in years, as she is one that responds to reason and other forms of dicipline ( loss of priviliges).

This is not discipline. This is punishment.

Old 06-28-2016, 09:34 AM

6,169 posts, read 2,849,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
This is not discipline. This is punishment.
^^^This^^^

so true.

When is it too old? Probably the moment they enter the earth and have the umbilical cord cut.

Old 06-28-2016, 04:29 PM

1,570 posts, read 1,084,981 times
spank them until they hit retirement!

Old 06-28-2016, 04:59 PM

11,147 posts, read 6,500,353 times
When I was a kid we were spanked with different things based on age. My little brother got the hand or the spoon. We got the switch around 8. As teens we got the belt. We rarely misbehaved.

Old 07-02-2016, 01:11 PM

15,201 posts, read 8,504,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pitt_transplant View Post
8 is way too old...She could be starting her period next year for heavens sakes...I think that says it all.
Precocious sexual maturity is the age cutoff? How about something logic like reaching the age of reason?

Old 07-02-2016, 01:18 PM

1,644 posts, read 2,110,261 times
Another one for spanking doesn't improve behavior. I had a real terror on my hands. She wouldn't listen, always threw violent tantrums. 3 years of this. My other kids were always so good. I always reserve the right to spank, but what really worked on the terror child was positive reinforcement. When she would act good, she would get rewarded with a small treat, and explained that she is getting the treat for good behavior. In the other hand if she did not act acceptablly, she would get something she did not like. It worked so quickly,she is now a pleasure to be around and the tantrums are easily controlled by reminding her of a treat/non treat.

Old 07-02-2016, 01:30 PM

Oh by the way, I was spanked by my mother and beaten with a belt by my dad. Spanking is not beating and should not be compared as such.

Old 07-05-2016, 11:52 AM
bg7

7,697 posts, read 8,159,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodSchoolols View Post
Oh by the way, I was spanked by my mother and beaten with a belt by my dad. Spanking is not beating and should not be compared as such.
Its difficult to accept that your own parents would hit a little child. So its sanitized and dressed up pretending to be something else... "spanking"

Its like a wife abuser who thinks its ok to slap his wife around as long as he doesn't give her a black eye. After all, a black eye is not the same as teaching his wife some respect, and should not be compared as such. A little hitting teaches her respect right?

Old 07-05-2016, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bg7 View Post
Its difficult to accept that your own parents would hit a little child. So its sanitized and dressed up pretending to be something else... "spanking"

Its like a wife abuser who thinks its ok to slap his wife around as long as he doesn't give her a black eye. After all, a black eye is not the same as teaching his wife some respect, and should not be compared as such. A little hitting teaches her respect right?
A pat on the behind for doing something wrong is a lot different than being locked in a room and being whipped with a belt for no reason other than an alcohol induced rage while your mother is screaming and beating on the door trying to get him away from me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting