Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2016, 03:45 PM

6,806 posts, read 4,904,811 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodSchoolols View Post
A pat on the behind for doing something wrong is a lot different than being locked in a room and being whipped with a belt for no reason other than an alcohol induced rage while your mother is screaming and beating on the door trying to get him away from me.
They are just different levels of the same thing. Just as an abuser who physically pushes his wife or holds her down against her will is just a different level of abuser than the abuser who punches his wife in the face.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2016, 03:50 PM

1,646 posts, read 2,779,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just A Guy View Post
They are just different levels of the same thing. Just as an abuser who physically pushes his wife or holds her down against her will is just a different level of abuser than the abuser who punches his wife in the face.
Well, that is what you think. I disagree.

Old 07-06-2016, 05:33 AM

808 posts, read 710,645 times
Default Agreed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
at birth
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZugZub View Post
That's what I came in here to say.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KH02 View Post
It's never appropriate, and only teaches a child physical violence is acceptable.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySoul22 View Post
Add another for 'at birth.'

There are far better ways to 'deal with' children...spanking...sorry, not an option.

Like I said before, teachers have kids in their classes and are not allowed to spank or touch them but must guide and teach them...why should parents get to???
I know these posts are from 2009, but I agree with all of the quoted users. Spanking is never appropriate and teaches a child that physical force is an acceptable way to get what he/she wants. And besides, if an adult were to spank another adult in a dispute, it would be considered assault. So why is it okay to do it to a kid?

Old 07-06-2016, 10:23 AM

4,818 posts, read 11,000,630 times
I am a father of 3 boys... 11 and twins 7 ... and never would ever consider spanking them now or when they were young.

Old 07-06-2016, 12:32 PM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,556,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodSchoolols View Post
Well, that is what you think. I disagree.
That's how self-rationalization of otherwise unacceptable things works.

There's stealing and there's stealing. The self-rationalizer calls it stealing when he does it. But if it happens to him its stealing.

Hitting someone much smaller than yourself - its hitting.

Old 07-07-2016, 01:09 PM

8,009 posts, read 10,421,697 times
I have a degree in Early Child Development, two kids of my own, and have worked with children from all facets of life and development for years. Spanking is never OK. There is not one single study, not one, that proves otherwise. In fact, every single study shows that spanking has a negative effect on kids.

Old 07-07-2016, 01:15 PM

18,526 posts, read 18,738,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
at birth
I give up at some of the whipping, spanking threads on here, are they all half witted, this is the 2000s.. children cant defend themselves, and shouldnt be hit by people who are supposed to love them.. its an outdated idea..

Old 07-07-2016, 01:16 PM

18,526 posts, read 18,738,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bg7 View Post
That's how self-rationalization of otherwise unacceptable things works.

There's stealing and there's stealing. The self-rationalizer calls it stealing when he does it. But if it happens to him its stealing.

Hitting someone much smaller than yourself - its hitting.
its abuse. another form of physical and mental abuse is washing a childs mouth out with soap.. for lying or swearing, my god, do these stupid parents know what their doing.. the chemicals alone in soap is dangerous never mind the mental abuse a chld is receiving.. this is torture and achieves nothing.. do these people not understand that abuse makes a child cruel to animals and to bully other children..

Last edited by dizzybint; 07-07-2016 at 01:25 PM..

Old 10-19-2017, 04:55 PM

24,099 posts, read 32,448,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cherry251 View Post
So if a kid is a 19 year old student still living at home it's ok to spank them? I don't think so!
I agree.

We have in-laws who are Pentecostals. The father spanked the daughters with a belt (I don't call that spanking) all through high school. On their bare butts.

He bragged about it in front of the kids saying "every once in a while my kids need a rear end adjustment"

He said it with a creepy, leering tone. There was one daughter who he seemed to single out for "special attention". The other was whipped less. The son, hardly at all.

Spanking a child in public is humiliating. Who would want to humiliate their child?

Sexual sadists. That's my guess.

I am strange in that I take a moderate approach to spanking. The dictionary definition of it.

Old 10-20-2017, 09:14 AM

4,865 posts, read 4,176,058 times
If you wouldn't do it when they're older, why would you do it when they're younger?

What's the reason for this arbitrary age limit?

Simple answer, don't start in the first place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting