U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2019, 05:11 AM

1,394 posts, read 811,374 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
at birth
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZugZub View Post
That's what I came in here to say.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KH02 View Post
It's never appropriate, and only teaches a child physical violence is acceptable.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Yuk View Post
It should never even start.
Quote:
Originally Posted by haggardhouseelf View Post
Ditto. A person of any age is too old to spank IMO. Violence begets violence.
Quote:
Originally Posted by thepinksquid View Post
Another for at birth. Spanking is NEVER permissible, IMHO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CGab View Post
Agreed!!
I have to vote my conscience here;

Moderator cut: deleted

Why do we have prisons?

Why do we have police officers?

Why do we have weapons?

Oh, and violence is NEVER the answer? Tell that to anybody who was rescued from any captor, or defended themselves from any assault ever.

Let's just abolish all those things too and, have some rainbow, fairy, magical, care-bear reality and, wonder why we have a bunch of lazy, disrespectful, slackers who in some cases become dangerous criminals.

Because there are some people who only respect force and violence, and it is not solely because they were struck as children.

Some people desire to either hurt others or, take what isn't theirs. They are just born with no empathy, and can only be discourgaed with the concept of greater force. Granted, too much force makes a person this way, no question there. However, it's best to spank a little kid, than for them to grow up thinking they won't get thrown in prison... and then they do.

I look at striking a kid as using a weapon, it absolutely is horrible. It is but, it needs to be a non-zero possibility.

Absolutely, explanation, guidance and, compassion should come 1st, 2nd and 3rd.
Still, no amount of people will ever make 2+2=5, which is basically what y'all are doing.

Last edited by june 7th; 06-23-2019 at 11:21 AM.. Reason: Referrinnng to others as "stupid' not permitted
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2019, 07:38 AM

16,079 posts, read 17,876,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RageX View Post

Moderator cut: Orphaned

Why do we have prisons?

Why do we have weapons?

Oh, and violence is NEVER the answer? Tell that to anybody who was rescued from any captor, or defended themselves from any assault ever.

Let's just abolish all those things too and, have some rainbow, fairy, magical, care-bear reality and, wonder why we have a bunch of lazy, disrespectful, slackers who in some cases become dangerous criminals.

Because there are some people who only respect force and violence, and it is not solely because they were struck as children.

Some people desire to either hurt others or, take what isn't theirs. They are just born with no empathy, and can only be discourgaed with the concept of greater force. Granted, too much force makes a person this way, no question there. However, it's best to spank a little kid, than for them to grow up thinking they won't get thrown in prison... and then they do.

I look at striking a kid as using a weapon, it absolutely is horrible. It is but, it needs to be a non-zero possibility.

Still, no amount of people will ever make 2+2=5, which is basically what y'all are doing.
Why are you comparing spanking in which the parent who is supposed to love the child and protect him or her to self-defense from criminals. They are not the same.

Why do you think we have so many criminals? Violence begets violence. You will not find any criminals who were raised in non-spanking homes although you may find some who were totally neglected by their parents.

Last edited by june 7th; 06-23-2019 at 11:22 AM..

Old 06-22-2019, 04:07 PM

3,459 posts, read 937,011 times
Quote:

Why do we have prisons?

Why do we have weapons?

What do they do in say, Sweden, where spanking has been against the law since the 70's? Actually, over 50 countries ban spanking.

Their kids are less violent according to studies. America is a pretty violent country but maybe we could change that.

The 30 countries with full bans on corporal punishment (which apply to schools and homes) experienced 69 percent lower rates of physical fighting among adolescent males and 42 percent less for females.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/life/...nt/1809639002/

Last edited by june 7th; 06-23-2019 at 11:23 AM..

Old 06-22-2019, 06:07 PM

664 posts, read 144,768 times
Quote:

Why do we have prisons?

Why do we have weapons?

Moderator cut: deleted

The light blue states in this map prohibit corporal punishment of children in schools. The dark blue states allow it. If your claim - that spanking prevents future crime - then those dark blue states should have lower crime rates than the light blue states.

Yet of the 15 states with the lowest violent crime rates, only 3 of them allow corporal punishment in schools.
https://www.statista.com/statistics/...the-us-states/

As for incarceration in general, the 19 states with the lowest incarceration rates do not allow corporal punishment in schools. The 12 states with the highest incarceration rates? They all allow corporal punishment in schools.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...pervision_rate

You know what's, to quote you, 'STUPID'? It's making empty claims without bothering to check and see if those claims are actually borne out by the evidence. And that's precisely what you've done.

Last edited by june 7th; 06-23-2019 at 11:24 AM..

Old 06-23-2019, 11:25 AM

7,811 posts, read 10,699,583 times
Hi folks!

Can we sort of cool it with the insults? --Thanks!

Enjoy the rest of the weekend,
~June
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting