Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2009, 08:49 AM

1,577 posts, read 3,700,243 times

Advertisements

Dads are totally overlooked. Why?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2009, 08:58 AM

1,636 posts, read 4,229,188 times
Because the majority of "parents" that stay at home ARE moms. Simple dimple.

It's not a big deal. They are not being overlooked. Those that do stay home with their little ones are good parents too

Plus the minority rules standard hasn't yet reached THIS subject

Old 02-19-2009, 09:03 AM

1,788 posts, read 4,755,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackyfrost01 View Post
Dads are totally overlooked. Why?
No they're not. I know a few dads that stay home while the mothers work. It's just not as common.

Old 02-19-2009, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miasmommy View Post
Because the majority of "parents" that stay at home ARE moms. Simple dimple.

It's not a big deal. They are not being overlooked. Those that do stay home with their little ones are good parents too

Plus the minority rules standard hasn't yet reached THIS subject
How do we know that? But even if they are the majority, thats no reason to exclude them so openly by just saying "Moms", instead of Parents

From what I've seen women are more social and there's more activities geared towards the female parents, as such the male parents are sorta left with nothing to do, so they probably stay home and we don't see them as much. Its a guess, but I've yet to see any "Hey Dad!" Or reading with Dad groups out there even though I see the Dads go, its always addressed exclusivly to the Moms directly, rather than the Parents in general.

Know what I mean?

"Choosy Moms choose Jif"
"Kid Tested, mom approved" (Kix cereal)

Like Dads have no opinion or concern over their children.

Old 02-19-2009, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZugZub View Post
No they're not. I know a few dads that stay home while the mothers work. It's just not as common.
Oh I know Me too. I'm just syaing everything we see in media terms (commercials, library, even the PTA) is always addressing the Moms directly. Very rarely the dads or just the "parents".

Old 02-19-2009, 09:17 AM

1,636 posts, read 4,229,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackyfrost01 View Post
How do we know that? But even if they are the majority, thats no reason to exclude them so openly by just saying "Moms", instead of Parents

From what I've seen women are more social and there's more activities geared towards the female parents, as such the male parents are sorta left with nothing to do, so they probably stay home and we don't see them as much. Its a guess, but I've yet to see any "Hey Dad!" Or reading with Dad groups out there even though I see the Dads go, its always addressed exclusivly to the Moms directly, rather than the Parents in general.

Know what I mean?

"Choosy Moms choose Jif"
"Kid Tested, mom approved" (Kix cereal)

Like Dads have no opinion or concern over their children.

I was going to use the Jif example!!

Still majority. Yes I know. It's a fact.

I'm sorry, I just don't see as many fathers at the grocery store looking at the ingredients in the products they buy. Yes, of course fathers are concerned too, but like I said, this is a MINORITY ruled world:

"one nation, under God."
"men at work." had to change because like 2% of them are women holding slow down signs.

what's next "snowperson" instead of snowman?

Old 02-19-2009, 09:24 AM

Snowmen? no. I guess its silly to you, but maybe if you were one of those Dads you wouldn't. I dunno.

No, I was just curious. I mean Caucasians are still a majority, but we're not allowed to exclude non-Whites in things since the Civil Rights movement. Even women have more rights than they did. Reverse discrimination isn't anymore correct tho.

I was just curious. If I was a stay-at-home Dad I'd be wondering why I was being ignored. I guess it depends where ya live, but I see Dads walking kids to school, at the grocery store, getting gets clothing, all the time. Really nice guys too. I even see them in the Reading Groups at the Library with their kids. My question was basically why did the sign in the Reading Groups case only call attn to the Mothers, when its clear that Fathers sign up too. Its not proper. Not in todays society when we're all about equality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by miasmommy View Post
I was going to use the Jif example!!

Still majority. Yes I know. It's a fact.

I'm sorry, I just don't see as many fathers at the grocery store looking at the ingredients in the products they buy. Yes, of course fathers are concerned too, but like I said, this is a MINORITY ruled world:

"one nation, under God."
"men at work." had to change because like 2% of them are women holding slow down signs.

what's next "snowperson" instead of snowman?

Old 02-19-2009, 09:26 AM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,630,850 times
I prefer the term "homemaker." Most homemakers are not home all that much.

Old 02-19-2009, 10:27 AM

2,839 posts, read 9,983,568 times
I suppose that you are right... when I joined the MOMS club several years ago, there were no dads at the park days. At our homeschooling group, though, there were several stay-at-home-homeschooling dads at the meetings. They are out there.

It's probably somewhat isolating to be a SAHD, if only for the reason that you might feel discouraged showing up at "mommy and me" type functions and being the only dad. THey probably don't get invited to one-on-one playdates with the other mommies and their children very often. It's probably less a matter of whether there is a commercial saying "choosy moms choose Jif" and more a matter of real-life feelings of isolation and not fitting in, if that's the case. Are there "stay at home dads" clubs and get-togethers? Maybe in some areas. That is one of the things that a SAHD would need to figure out... providing social outlets for yourself and your children is the job of the stay at home parent. It might be harder for SAHDs, but it's still necessary, for their sake and for their children.

Old 02-19-2009, 10:56 AM

2,868 posts, read 9,552,858 times
My neighbor is a SAHD and he is treated just like 'one of us'..We go over each other's homes for little playdates, he comes out to dinner with us, we talk potty training, he comes to the birthday parties etc etc... I agree it is not as common but not overlooked at all. They are just happy one of them is able to be home with their kids.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting