U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2009, 09:52 AM

37 posts, read 75,056 times
Default Denied child support

So I got an interesting notice in the mail saying that my child support claim had been denied bc they couldn't "find" my sons father. The case was closed unless I could provide more info on his whereabouts. Now correct me if I'm wrong but if I knew I probably wouldn't have asked for help from the state to find him. I provided them with info on his car, job, mothers address but I didn't know his address. He has a state issued drivers license and pays state taxes so I don't get how they can't locate him? His family is involved with my son but he has 2 children he doesn't support so I don't understand why the state wouldn't keep the case open. It takes 2 to make a child and they should both be equally responsible for supporting the child, it makes it very stressful on single parents when it seem the state just blows it off. I know i'm not the only one that has probably gotten such a letter but its rediculous in my opinion. So what is one to do when something like this happens?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2009, 10:04 AM

7,713 posts, read 7,689,775 times
Welcome to the uncaring division of family services . They like many other states dont care or dont have the resources to look for dead beat dads . I mean I had the hardest time trying to track mine too . The state that I was living in did not care either . The lady behind the counter told me to just give up trying to collect it cause the state does not enforce the looking or locating part and I would be better off just trying to get food stamps , medicaid whatever for my kids and at least they would be taken care of and the state could rest and not have to work so hard filing all those empty child support cases . I almost broke my neck getting out of that place cause it was such a joke and really sad . So yes you are running into the same thing millions of women run into these days and there is not one blasted thing you can do about it .

Old 02-19-2009, 10:10 AM

2,465 posts, read 2,990,447 times
I would contact your State's Attorney Generals office and ask them why the case was closed. Give them all of the info. you have and see if they won't re-open it. You might even try and get a hold of your Govenor and your State Represenatives. If the father's family is involved in the child's life then get more info. out of them if need be. Sorry to say, but you will have to do a lot of the leg work for the child support enforcement agency. If you know where he is currently working then you or someone should tail him home sometime to get his address. But if you currently know where he is working and have given that info. to the CSEA then that is enough info. for them to get a hold of his employer about garnishing wages. If you have a Social Security # for him give them that as well. They can always garnish his income taxes.

Good Luck and I hope you can get some answers and child support.

Old 02-19-2009, 10:11 AM

1,415 posts, read 2,122,744 times
Have you called your caseworker? Is he in NC or out of state?

I have to go through the state to get CS (or at least he's supposed to support his child). My caseworker is amazing. If you have all this information, can you do a little detective work and give them an addy? If you gave a current job information, did they call the job to get his addy? If not, your case worker isn't following through on his/her job. If he has property you can search the tax databases to get his addy.

Old 02-19-2009, 02:37 PM

35,228 posts, read 41,898,278 times
Do you have his social security number? That is what is basically needed to A. do a skip trace and B. garnish his wages.

Old 02-19-2009, 06:46 PM

16,249 posts, read 11,156,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ModChic View Post
So I got an interesting notice in the mail saying that my child support claim had been denied bc they couldn't "find" my sons father. The case was closed unless I could provide more info on his whereabouts. Now correct me if I'm wrong but if I knew I probably wouldn't have asked for help from the state to find him. I provided them with info on his car, job, mothers address but I didn't know his address. He has a state issued drivers license and pays state taxes so I don't get how they can't locate him? His family is involved with my son but he has 2 children he doesn't support so I don't understand why the state wouldn't keep the case open. It takes 2 to make a child and they should both be equally responsible for supporting the child, it makes it very stressful on single parents when it seem the state just blows it off. I know i'm not the only one that has probably gotten such a letter but its rediculous in my opinion. So what is one to do when something like this happens?
If you have a full name, DOB, SS then, unless he lives in a cave and has no job, he can easily be found.

Old 02-19-2009, 06:55 PM

I don't have his ss# unfortunately but I have just about everything else, his mother is great to my son but very secretive about hers so getting info from her is hard. I tried to talk to her about it for an address and she told me the general direction but no address and in the beginning I restricted her visitation bc I felt he was sliding by but then realized its better for my son to at least have her. So now I've been trying to buddy up with her in hopes of finding more out. You would think since he pays taxes and has a DL here they should be able to track him down. And as crazy as it sounds I know he goes to his mothers every sunday and I have thought of having someone follow him so we could get the address lol.

rockinmomma- ya he lives here in NC, how did you pick your case worker or were they assigned? the case worker i have is worthless, she won't even return my calls half the time, impossible to get up with.

Old 02-19-2009, 08:28 PM

2,096 posts, read 5,812,501 times
we actually had to have someone follow my ex to find out where he lived, then find out where he worked. It was a long miserable experience, and I am forever grateful for the wonderful friends I had to do that for me and my daughter.
Keep in mind too, he could do what mine did. As soon as the paperwork arrived to announce the garnishmant for CS, he quit. Each and every time. sigh. I kept at it, it took a few years, it took him getting 15grand in arrears, AND various friends on stakeouts always following to figure out where the heck he was living at the time (he changed that A LOT) but then, we were able to get his licence revoked, the arrears put on his credit report, and he went to jail. Several times. After that, he will work now juuuuuust enough to keep him out of jail. But hey, its something and he knows we're on his a@@.
Keep at the MIL too. Mine hated me for a few years. We just kept civil, and making sure she saw her granddaughter, and eventually, she moved over here to the Light Side. lol Now, shes firmly in our court and has been quite the asset.
Im sorry youre having these issues. I know it sucks.

Old 02-19-2009, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiffela74 View Post
we actually had to have someone follow my ex to find out where he lived, then find out where he worked. It was a long miserable experience, and I am forever grateful for the wonderful friends I had to do that for me and my daughter.
Keep in mind too, he could do what mine did. As soon as the paperwork arrived to announce the garnishmant for CS, he quit. Each and every time. sigh. I kept at it, it took a few years, it took him getting 15grand in arrears, AND various friends on stakeouts always following to figure out where the heck he was living at the time (he changed that A LOT) but then, we were able to get his licence revoked, the arrears put on his credit report, and he went to jail. Several times. After that, he will work now juuuuuust enough to keep him out of jail. But hey, its something and he knows we're on his a@@.
Keep at the MIL too. Mine hated me for a few years. We just kept civil, and making sure she saw her granddaughter, and eventually, she moved over here to the Light Side. lol Now, shes firmly in our court and has been quite the asset.
Im sorry youre having these issues. I know it sucks.
Thank you, it sounds like its gonna be a rough road but hey I like your style, you have the go gettem! I think thats what i'll have to do is just have a friend follow him to get the address and fight his pure lazy attitude!

Old 02-20-2009, 10:20 AM

1,415 posts, read 2,122,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ModChic View Post
rockinmomma- ya he lives here in NC, how did you pick your case worker or were they assigned? the case worker i have is worthless, she won't even return my calls half the time, impossible to get up with.

My case worker was assigned to me, by the first letter of my last name. If you have a communication problem with your case worker, you should be able to talk to their supervisor.

Also, did you ever file joint taxes with this man? If you did then you should have his SS# on the returns.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting