U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2009, 08:33 AM

71 posts, read 140,526 times
As a father of 2 (5 year old boy & 4 year old girl), I would say that the advice for buying clothes off season on sale is the best way to get them. It's can be difficult in the beginning figuring out what size to purchase for the next season, so if in doubt, buy larger.

And for carseats, I would never, NEVER recommend using someone's carseat unless you know that person VERY well (i.e. sibling, close friend, etc.) and the seat has never been in a crash. I am a Certified Car Seat Technician, and I can't begin to tell you the condition of some of the used carseats that parents have brought it...twisted straps, cracked plastic, missing parts, etc. An infant carrier is nice, especially if you get one with a stroller that it fits into. While most kids outgrow the carrier in 6-9 months, you could always use it for the next one. And keep in mind that while Federal Law requires that all infants be kept rear-facing until they are AT LEAST 12 months old and weigh 20 pounds, most convertible seats (one that can be used rear facing and forward facing) have a maximum rear facing weight of at least 30 lbs., and your child will be safer rear-facing until they reach the maximum weight and height. Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2009, 10:30 AM

2,465 posts, read 3,007,183 times
Another tip on getting a carseat. If you are really strapped for cash and cannot afford to buy a new one, (which some of them can be really expensive) check to see if the local fire dept. does a carseat safety check at least once a year. They usually get in tons of donated carseats to pass out to people who either 1) have an old outdated car seat or one that has damage or 2) cannot afford to purchase a new one that fits todays safety standards.

At the carseat safety checks, they will show you how to properly install the carseat and check over any current carseat you have to make sure it is safe and appropriate for the child using it.

As one of the other posters stated, you do not want to slouch on purchasing a good carseat. Even if you do not go through the fire dept. to get a new carseat, you can still contact them and ask if they have any ideas as to which brands and models are the safest. I'd even ask if they will show you how to install it correctly in case it's hard to figure out. Each car and carseat is different and how you install it in one car may be different in another car. I'm sure that they have seen the pros and cons to using the right or wrong carseat as well as the pros and cons in installing or not installing them correctly.

Old 02-20-2009, 12:12 PM

1,398 posts, read 2,988,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by regarese View Post
OMG-to the point of frustration! LOL. Know what I got my 1 year old godson for Christmas? A set of coasters! His mother gets so mad that those are what he plays with all the time totally ignoring the Fisher Price kingdom in the corner of the room.
This made me laugh.

Old 02-20-2009, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADVentive View Post
I am going to use cloth diapers this time around and I am also buying them used. Some from craigslist and consignment, and others from DiaperSwappers. If you are interested in cloth diapers, DiaperSwappers is a great website for buying and selling used diapers and for asking questions about which kind to use and how to wash them and everything related. There are huge variations in prices, from the basic prefolds for like $1-2 each to the expensive diapers with snap closures, cute prints, and special organic fabrics for like $35 each. But even if you go with new, expensive cloth diapers, you still usually get out cheaper than using disposables, because you can re-sell your cloth diapers when you are done, but nobody wants to buy your used Pampers! I didn't do cloth diapers for my first because I was kinda intimidated and thought it would be a lot of work, but it's really not bad.
We were thinking of using cloth diapers as well. The only thing though, do they ever leak? I know that they have those cloth diaper liners, that are supposed to provide extra protection for leaking. But, I just don't want the stuff to "leak".

Old 02-20-2009, 12:18 PM

Thank you GJHJ and wyoquilter as well as thanks to all of you. I had "one" more question like I always say. There were car seats that we saw in Wallmart that were $70, and then there are some for $100, and some that are even more expensive in other places. How do you know what car seat is good when buying a new one, since there are so many choices and prices...

Old 02-20-2009, 12:35 PM

5,572 posts, read 7,986,959 times
Quote:
It seems overwhelming but you figure it out. Diapers and formula are the real kick in the pants. People think I'm kidding when I say I breast fed because it was free, but I'm not. I only did it for 6 months, but that is 6 months that I wasn't buying formula every week.
Ditto... only I breastfed the whole way - until they were drinking from cups on their own. Not only do you save a ton of money, but breastfeeding helps your body get back in shape and heal more quickly after the birth. It's HARD though - just because it's natural doesn't mean it's not an art! Find a La Leche group near you or a Midwife or some wise and weathered sort of woman who can help you through the first two or three weeks. That's it - two or three weeks of not really know what you're doing, but then it all falls into place and you'll be an old pro in no time!

Diapers - CLOTH. It's better for the environment. You're baby will need less as far as powders and creams and all that goop because the cloth diapers are better for their skin. It will save you money. Lots of money if you plan to have more than one. And you can find some really awesome cloth diapers now!! Cloth diapers have come a long way. I really love and used the heck out of MotherEase diapers. Google them... oh here... I'll do it Mother-ease | Cloth Diapers | Diaper Covers |Training Pants LOVE them.

You can use glad rags for yourself, too... use a combination of glad rags and the diva cup. I haven't bought tampons or disposable pads in YEARS. I've saved a ton of money and I feel good knowing I'm doing my part to keep my gross trash out of the landfills.

A lot of the baby paraphernalia, too... you don't really need. Marketing and ads and pop culture and other well-meaning friends and relatives will make you think you need junk like the diaper genie and a changing table and a baby bath and a toilet seat topper and special this and that's and so on... but you don't have to have those things. If you want them, great, but if you're trying to cut costs and live more simply and consume less for financial or environmental reasons, you can totally get by with very little. I was never big on "baby containers" like play pens and high chairs and things of that nature. People gave them to us, because they saw we hadn't bought them, but even then we never used them. I ended up giving them away.

Be careful with plastics, too. A lot of junk made for kids has PVC and bad plastics in it. This is a good website for more info: Children’s Safe Products Act of 2009 — Oregon Environmental Council (http://www.oeconline.org/our-work/smart-policy/children2019s-safe-product-act-of-2009 - broken link) Somewhere in that site is a pdf file that will show you the good plastics that are OK to buy as well as the bad palstics that are better to get rid of, and not to buy. Basically plastics #1 and #2 are OK, the rest aren't so great. OK... here's the PDF http://www.oeconline.org/resources/p...ticswalletcard

Old 02-20-2009, 12:46 PM

3,591 posts, read 4,723,031 times
I was thinking of sewing my own diapers. Looking at these Mother-Ease diapers, it's not that hard to sew yourself if you have the inclination. After all, there are whole 9 months to prepare. I look at the old knitting magazines and the mothers in those times knitted sets of layettes. To sew onesie is a piece of cake in comparison.

I remember seeing an internet site explaining what padding (or how many layers) to put in a diaper to make it leak-proof.

Sewing is good for later years, too, when you can sew a dress with all the fluffy ruffles like Jottum company - their dresses sell for $200 -500 which is a lot of money for a fast growing child.

Old 02-20-2009, 12:49 PM

1,363 posts, read 4,075,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by haggardhouseelf View Post
A lot of the baby paraphernalia, too... you don't really need. Marketing and ads and pop culture and other well-meaning friends and relatives will make you think you need junk like the diaper genie and a changing table and a baby bath and a toilet seat topper and special this and that's and so on

Oh, my 3 year old get so INSULTED when you put that on the toilet. LOL..."THAT is for babies. I a big girl mommy! I sit on the BIG potty." When she falls in she may change her mind.

Old 02-20-2009, 12:52 PM

3,425 posts, read 6,219,918 times
Quote:
OMG-to the point of frustration! LOL. Know what I got my 1 year old godson for Christmas? A set of coasters! His mother gets so mad that those are what he plays with all the time totally ignoring the Fisher Price kingdom in the corner of the room.
LOL. Mine loves rubbermaid take along food containers.

We have little people but you know who plays with them the most? My 10, 6, and 5 yo. I pretended I was hanging on to it and taking handed down little people for the now 18 mo old, but its so my "big kids" can continue playing with it.

I love finding little people all around the house b/c the little people school bus is making the rounds to take them to school.

Old 02-20-2009, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Oh, my 3 year old get so INSULTED when you put that on the toilet. LOL..."THAT is for babies. I a big girl mommy! I sit on the BIG potty." When she falls in she may change her mind.
Ha, ha, ha.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting