Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2009, 10:46 AM

6,764 posts, read 22,070,116 times

Advertisements

No, seriously.
I like it much better that my son can talk to me and we can play videogames, read books together, talk.

I love kids but do not have patience for babies or toddlers. I hate the sleepless nights, the way they cannot tell you what they want or need.

Overall my son was a good baby and toddler but I don't think I slept until he was 4!

It's probably yet another reason I have one child.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2009, 10:52 AM

517 posts, read 1,964,070 times
Just last night I looked at a magnet on my fridge - from when my son was 18 months old - and thought to myself, "where did those years go?". Also a few months ago, while waiting on line at a store and watching my kids (3rd grader and kindergartner), I thought, "wow, they're really 'big kids!'"

There are some things that I miss very much about their toddler years, however, I'm really enjoying the freedom and fun we have together now that they're a little older. As another poster mentioned earlier, it would be nice if they (and me, too) could just stay the same age forever (or at least just a little longer!).

What's really startling, even quite possibly alarming, is the pace in which time goes that becomes so evident when you look at your children. You don't notice the growth day to day, but when you look at last year's school picture compared with this years, you really see how quickly time goes. Bottom line (I'm telling this to myself, too) is just enjoy them as much and as often as you can. You can always check e-mail, wash the dishes, talk on the phone etc. when they're asleep.

For those of you who have babies and toddlers.... have fun with them... enjoy the time before they start school...... and take lots of pictures and video!

Old 02-20-2009, 10:59 AM

1,577 posts, read 3,699,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySoul22 View Post
No, seriously.
I like it much better that my son can talk to me and we can play videogames, read books together, talk.

I love kids but do not have patience for babies or toddlers. I hate the sleepless nights, the way they cannot tell you what they want or need.

Overall my son was a good baby and toddler but I don't think I slept until he was 4!

It's probably yet another reason I have one child.
Yes I'll admit i do remember looking forward to when the boys could walk on their own (and keep up with me) and talk rather than just scream. Sure there's gonna be SOME things I don't miss, but overall I do.

I remember putting the stroller away for the last time. I remember removing the baby seat from the car, not needing a booster chair at the table anymore, and saying goodbye to some of the little kid tv shows they used to watch regularly. Even removing the training wheels. Saying goodbye to Bear in the Big Blue House and Sesame Street when we watched them one last time forever. Sad. I even wrote a poem about it at the time (it was that moving to me at the time). Those were landmarks of their growing up, but I still miss the days when I still needed those things and watched those kiddy shows with them. We had fun overall.

Old 02-20-2009, 11:05 AM

4,253 posts, read 9,451,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackyfrost01 View Post
I remember putting the stroller away for the last time. I remember removing the baby seat from the car, not needing a booster chair at the table anymore, and saying goodbye to some of the little kid tv shows they used to watch regularly. Even removing the training wheels.
LOL to tell the truth I can't have the heart to sell or otherwise rid of these things. It's always a nagging little doubt on the back of my mind (what if I need them again????) though I'm probably much older than many moms here.

Old 02-20-2009, 11:48 AM

1,363 posts, read 5,927,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuala View Post
I do tell my 5 year old daughter, "Please stay at this age!" (but she wants to grow). She's just so full of love and wonder for the world.

I guess I'm dreading a bit those upcoming tween and teen years.
I tell my 3 year old that too. She says, "Mommy, I have to get big so I can make dinner." And then I just squeeze her.

Old 02-20-2009, 12:02 PM

6,066 posts, read 15,046,326 times
I am totally looking forward to my boys growing up and can't wait to see what kind of men they become. I also just love watching them now... just every day. I've always been home with them, so I feel like I haven't missed anything. I love how independent they are becoming... doing their own laundry, cooking their own meals, cleaning their own rooms... with all that they are able to do on their own now, it frees me up. And since I'm not as crazy busy as we moms are when we've got toddlers and babies to care for, now my boys and I have more time to sit and chill and play and read and just goof off and run amuck together. I also really love our bike rides and cooking together... these experiences become better and better the older they get. I absolutely loved the baby/toddler stages - they were so cute and cuddly! - but I don't miss it. I appreciate now, also, having more time to myself. My husband and I also love having more time alone together. It was really nice when our oldest became old enough and mature enough to babysit his younger brother so that dad and I could go out on dates. We never used day care or babysitters, so now that big brother is able to do this, it's like my husband and I are dating again. It's a lot of fun! My boys are almost 14 and just turned 9, and my husband and I are mid-30's.

Old 02-20-2009, 12:43 PM

2,091 posts, read 9,047,056 times
oh, i miss the babyhood and toddlers so much!!! mine are 14 10 and 7 and i know I tend to baby the littlest one still...sigh. I love each stage my kids are in, I think theres something incredible about each age. Although, admittedly, the 14yr old tries my patience the most...lol but she also at this age, is the closest to my husband she has ever been. I am the rather annoying "moooottthhhhheerrrrrr" and he is cool Dad who puts her songs on her MP3 player, watches Smallville with, and doesnt "freak out" over stuff as much as I do. lol
Last year, my 7yr old was the youngest and smallest competetive gymnast in our state for her level. Now, shes still one of the little ones, but theres a whole new crop of itty bitty 6yr olds for the crowd to ohhhh and ahhhh over. I'll admit, i miss that too! I miss how im not always #1 in my kids eyes/mind. Sometimes, they will chose to play w/their buddies over mom. Okay, MOST of the time they will now. lol And I know thats natural and the way it needs to be. Im happy they are thriving and growing socially in this world. Sometimes though...it makes me feel like the kid left last during picking teams. lol
and the smells. I used to love to bury my nose in my little boys hair, smelling his baby scent, and feeling that wispy texture only baby hair has. 10yr old boys just dont smell the same!!!!!! lol No longer interested in cuddling w/mom, im lucky to get a real hug out of him (he's in the lean in and pat stage)
I'll admit, I miss fat little baby cheeks, both on the face, and the butt. lol. I miss toothless grins and the amazement and joy over a cold popcicle. (1/2 on the face 1/2 in the mouth) I miss weaving baby steps and blowing rasberries on fat little bellies. Soft content little baby sighs, and goofy mis-pronouncing of new words.
Instead of begging to watch another episode of Barney or the Wiggles, its now "Can I wear make-up to the teen dance tonight?" Suddenly, those annoying songs I kinda miss. But hey, thats okay, Ive got all those videos/dvds packed right here in the cubord, just waiting for one of the kids to ask for em! lol

Old 02-20-2009, 01:15 PM

4,253 posts, read 9,451,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiffela74 View Post
I I used to love to bury my nose in my little boys hair, smelling his baby scent, and feeling that wispy texture only baby hair has. 10yr old boys just dont smell the same!!!!!! lol No longer interested in cuddling w/mom, im lucky to get a real hug out of him (he's in the lean in and pat stage)
Oh gosh, this made me want so badly to go and scoop my son and smell his hair while I can! I can't imagine him refusing my kiss or hug but I guess it's inevitable. He's searching for his identity right now. He needs cuddling with me, then the next thing he runs to Daddy "I'm growing to be a big man!".

Old 02-20-2009, 01:23 PM

4,640 posts, read 11,934,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by haggardhouseelf View Post
I am totally looking forward to my boys growing up and can't wait to see what kind of men they become. I also just love watching them now... just every day. I've always been home with them, so I feel like I haven't missed anything. I love how independent they are becoming... doing their own laundry, cooking their own meals, cleaning their own rooms... with all that they are able to do on their own now, it frees me up. And since I'm not as crazy busy as we moms are when we've got toddlers and babies to care for, now my boys and I have more time to sit and chill and play and read and just goof off and run amuck together. I also really love our bike rides and cooking together... these experiences become better and better the older they get. I absolutely loved the baby/toddler stages - they were so cute and cuddly! - but I don't miss it. I appreciate now, also, having more time to myself. My husband and I also love having more time alone together. It was really nice when our oldest became old enough and mature enough to babysit his younger brother so that dad and I could go out on dates. We never used day care or babysitters, so now that big brother is able to do this, it's like my husband and I are dating again. It's a lot of fun! My boys are almost 14 and just turned 9, and my husband and I are mid-30's.
This is exactly how I feel. I have an almost 15 year old, 12 year old, and 10 year old. Babies and toddlers are cute, but I LOVE the freedom I have now. It's true, as the kids get older, you really do get to focus on your husband and devote more time to friends and your interests. I agree I love getting little glimpses into the men they're becoming and it is quite cool.

Old 02-20-2009, 01:26 PM

1,692 posts, read 3,537,964 times
Well just wait when your child reaches the teen years you will wonder if they ever were the little child you knew. As far as reaching for my two year old and missing the way her hair smells. Well yesterday her hair smelled like BM after she took her diaper off at nighttime and finger painted all over the wall and her. There is a lot to miss but there is a lot to look forward to. I love to hear my two 6 year olds and how they think about things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting