Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2009, 10:36 AM

1,577 posts, read 3,689,601 times

Advertisements

I do.

There was something new and fun about it and you could easily talk to other new parents about the kids as an ice breaker and gab about things. I liked all that play date and baby stuff we all used to do. It was fun.

Its a different little world.

Once the child leaves toddler-hood it seems like no one cares about you or the kid anymore. Makes me miss it even more. None of those "friendships" I had with the parents lasted beyond age 3 (of the kids).

And once school starts, forget it.

It seems like there's this gap between 6-10 where the kids are kinda forgotten about in regards to media, tv, commercials, in general. Things are geared towards small children and teenagers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2009, 10:44 AM

4,253 posts, read 9,419,955 times
I missed toddler years even before my second child started walking... Just knowing that these precious moments would pass... Those unsure unsteady steps, that chubbinness.

My 4 year old son is still much of a toddler mentally, but physically... I was startled recently in a library when he was playing with 2 year olds. He was twice as tall ! Basically a size of a school boy. My son has grown, but I haven't noticed it.

Old 02-20-2009, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuala View Post
I missed toddler years even before my second child started walking... Just knowing that these precious moments would pass... Those unsure unsteady steps, that chubbinness.

My 4 year old son is still much of a toddler mentally, but physically... I was startled recently in a library when he was playing with 2 year olds. He was twice as tall ! Basically a size of a school boy. My son has grown, but I haven't noticed it.
Oh gosh I forget that too until I see him with younger kids, and suddenly see him towering over them. Its a startling revelation. Makes you miss how little he was (and until then thought he still kinda was)

Mine are in grade school now. Its hard to see it happening so fast.

I think what I miss most is the innocence. They didn't know any better about things. There really wasn't any smart mouthing yet, etc. If they did something, it was still cute and okay, as they were just babies, etc. And all the kids at that age just get along no matter what. It was a bit more stree-free to me of a time.

Old 02-20-2009, 10:53 AM

1,692 posts, read 3,528,088 times
No I don't miss them as I have 7 kids from 27-2 and feel like I will never get passed them. I guess I'm at a point in my life as I may be a little older that I want to move beyound that period. It is fun to think back to when my children were little and it is always nice to hold a newborn. It is also nice to hand the baby back. I think for me I was a foster parent who had 45 kids. Most of them were under 2 and I feel like I might have done those years too much and got burned out. With our last adoption and she is 2 now I think I might have been ready before her to be out of that period because it is hard period but it is wonderful as well. For me I can say I have no friends with a 2 year old like when my older kids were young than we all were having babies. What is so cool now then even when my daughter who is 27 was a baby is that you have soo much to capture your child at that point to remember. Video, cameras and all that and can share that with others.

Old 02-20-2009, 10:55 AM

Wow I'm impressed and can see why you're not missing it. Thats a career you made of it lol

I'm just the parent of 2 little boys and thats all I'll ever have until they bring home grandkids one day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmom48 View Post
No I don't miss them as I have 7 kids from 27-2 and feel like I will never get passed them. I guess I'm at a point in my life as I may be a little older that I want to move beyound that period. It is fun to think back to when my children were little and it is always nice to hold a newborn. It is also nice to hand the baby back. I think for me I was a foster parent who had 45 kids. Most of them were under 2 and I feel like I might have done those years too much and got burned out. With our last adoption and she is 2 now I think I might have been ready before her to be out of that period because it is hard period but it is wonderful as well. For me I can say I have no friends with a 2 year old like when my older kids were young than we all were having babies. What is so cool now then even when my daughter who is 27 was a baby is that you have soo much to capture your child at that point to remember. Video, cameras and all that and can share that with others.

Old 02-20-2009, 11:00 AM

841 posts, read 4,828,664 times
No way do I miss the baby or toddler years. I'm a much better mom to young kids than to babies and toddlers. I didn't have the patience for babies or toddlers. I love bike riding, playing games, reading with, talking with, and just being with my school aged kids (1st grader and kindergardener).

I agree with a previous poster that the one thing I miss is the innocence of my kids when they were babies and toddlers. That was certainly precious to me. But I love how our relationship has grown and how they are growing into their own little people.

Old 02-20-2009, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by summers19 View Post
No way do I miss the baby or toddler years. I'm a much better mom to young kids than to babies and toddlers. I didn't have the patience for babies or toddlers. I love bike riding, playing games, reading with, talking with, and just being with my school aged kids (1st grader and kindergardener).

I agree with a previous poster that the one thing I miss is the innocence of my kids when they were babies and toddlers. That was certainly precious to me. But I love how our relationship has grown and how they are growing into their own little people.
Agree 100%. That innocence goes till about 2nd grade. Little kids that age are fun to be around and its always easy to find stuff to do with them at that age.

As they get older it gets harder as video games and movies and friends become more prevalent. And of course that innocence is replaced with wanting to be cool and some measure of peer pressures.

Old 02-20-2009, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackyfrost01 View Post
Agree 100%. That innocence goes till about 2nd grade. Little kids that age are fun to be around and its always easy to find stuff to do with them at that age.

As they get older it gets harder as video games and movies and friends become more prevalent. And of course that innocence is replaced with wanting to be cool and some measure of peer pressures.

I do tell my 5 year old daughter, "Please stay at this age!" (but she wants to grow). She's just so full of love and wonder for the world.

I guess I'm dreading a bit those upcoming tween and teen years.

Old 02-20-2009, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackyfrost01 View Post
It seems like there's this gap between 6-10 where the kids are kinda forgotten about in regards to media, tv, commercials, in general. Things are geared towards small children and teenagers.
I noticed that when I started searching for books for 5-7 year olds. It seems like baby board books -cut to tween chapter books.

So I read to my 5 year old a slightly more complex books than she needs ("The Tale of Despereaux", "Pippy Longstocking"), but I do see that her mind adapts and grows to the book.

Old 02-20-2009, 11:38 AM

Quote:
I noticed that when I started searching for books for 5-7 year olds. It seems like baby board books -cut to tween chapter books.

So I read to my 5 year old a slightly more complex books than she needs ("The Tale of Despereaux", "Pippy Longstocking"), but I do see that her mind adapts and grows to the book.
Quote:
I do tell my 5 year old daughter, "Please stay at this age!" (but she wants to grow). She's just so full of love and wonder for the world.

I guess I'm dreading a bit those upcoming tween and teen years.
Hmm thats interesting. I may try that about the books.

Ya I made my boys promise to slow down the growing, but they smiled and said "We can't, Mom!" lol cute.

It is hard to see them grow so fast. Just gotta enjoy it while we can and hope we never forget how special it was while it lasted. Even nicer if they can remember it too. I have trouble getting rid of outgrown clothes and "favorite" shirts as there's too many memories attached to some clothes.

Good luck with your daughter. Little girls are the cutest little things, I swear. I always wanted one. Can;t now. But I 'll admit I'm kinda glad too, because one of the scariest things is a teenage girl lol. So there's a fine line there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting