Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2016, 07:37 PM

1 posts, read 1,368 times

Advertisements

Would really appreciate some advice as I am at a loss what to do. I have 3 daughters; 13, 15 and 16, and they are all practically clones of their mother who is the type of woman that one could say is high maintenance as in she won't go anywhere without looking her best and always has her hair/nails done etc. etc. It has translated to our daughters who have taken up after her wholeheartedly.

They all read fashion/teen mags and my wife loves taking them to get all the stuff she does done and shopping and all that stuff, which I am not saying is bad or wrong but it leaves little for me to do and believe me I have tried. I have taken them all camping which they hated with a passion, took them fishing which they also hated, tried to do other things but to no avail. I have asked them what they'd like to do and they always say go to the mall or something of that nature.

I have talked to my wife and she just says that's how they are and I can't change it. I am not looking to change who they are and I am glad they all have a great relationship with their mother but there seems little room for me. I do certainly love my daughters but sometimes I do wish I had had a son or at least one of them were a tomboy. Heck just yesterday I was out grocery shopping with my 13 year old and she wanted some fashion magazine which I did get her but I wish she and other daughters were at least willing to do something else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2016, 07:43 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,027,765 times
hhhhmmm... It would be good if they were more well-rounded. What else do they do? play sports? dance? act? student government?

Old 01-01-2016, 08:13 PM

1,038 posts, read 897,397 times
Sorry OP you're stuck with your women wanting womanly things

Go find a pal...buy a dog if all else fails

Old 01-01-2016, 08:13 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,728,423 times
One of my daughters goes to the firing range with her dad. Both of my girls like to go to movies with him. He's willing to sit through princess movies and Minion movies and things like that.

Old 01-01-2016, 08:15 PM

35,095 posts, read 50,971,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vladias View Post
Would really appreciate some advice as I am at a loss what to do. I have 3 daughters; 13, 15 and 16, and they are all practically clones of their mother who is the type of woman that one could say is high maintenance as in she won't go anywhere without looking her best and always has her hair/nails done etc. etc. It has translated to our daughters who have taken up after her wholeheartedly.

They all read fashion/teen mags and my wife loves taking them to get all the stuff she does done and shopping and all that stuff, which I am not saying is bad or wrong but it leaves little for me to do and believe me I have tried. I have taken them all camping which they hated with a passion, took them fishing which they also hated, tried to do other things but to no avail. I have asked them what they'd like to do and they always say go to the mall or something of that nature.

I have talked to my wife and she just says that's how they are and I can't change it. I am not looking to change who they are and I am glad they all have a great relationship with their mother but there seems little room for me. I do certainly love my daughters but sometimes I do wish I had had a son or at least one of them were a tomboy. Heck just yesterday I was out grocery shopping with my 13 year old and she wanted some fashion magazine which I did get her but I wish she and other daughters were at least willing to do something else.
Perhaps being involved in their lives more starting 13, 15 & 16 years ago would have helped.

Old 01-01-2016, 08:25 PM

19,480 posts, read 24,963,132 times
What were your girls like ten years ago (3, 5, 6) and five years ago (8, 10, 11) ? What types of things did you do with them then? I can't picture a three year old and a five & six year old being that interested in manicures and fashion magazines at that age. Can you continue some of those same activities?

What about talking about their futures? Your 16 year old is probably starting to plan for college (and her sisters will be soon). Perhaps, you can spend more time talking about her HS classes and how they will help her in college. Perhaps, you can start to make college visits together.

Old 01-01-2016, 09:00 PM

2,609 posts, read 2,483,844 times
You have to find a place in their lives for you. Maybe take each one out to a special "daddy-daughter" dinner or movie or some other mutually enjoyable activity once every two weeks. What did you enjoy doing with them before? What other things do they like? Take them on an adventure every so often to introduce them to a different experience (hiking, paintball, ice skating, whatever!). Maybe something will "take" and you'll have a mutual activity to enjoy. Teens of both genders can be difficult to reach. Peers become so much more important, and they are still "finding themselves." My oldest daughter is 12, and she is definitely a girly girl (which I am not at all), but she absolutely treasures time with her daddy and will do things with him and she doesn't normally do. My oldest son is 15 and sometimes it's hard to find things to do with him since we are at very different places. But we've always had a great relationship, so I find those common grounds (and sometimes I end up doing something I don't enjoy as much just to spend time with him-- videogames anyone?).

No matter what, don't stop trying. They may not help you find common ground, and it may not be easy, but they will remember that you tried and that you were part of their lives.

Old 01-01-2016, 09:44 PM

4,751 posts, read 5,407,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
Perhaps being involved in their lives more starting 13, 15 & 16 years ago would have helped.
I think this is the most important thing right here. What were you doing with them when they were little girls, and why weren't you involving them in activities then? I remember my father teaching me how to hammer nails when I was around 6 and it was fun and a useful skill.

Old 01-01-2016, 10:37 PM

6,720 posts, read 8,335,260 times
Take them to the movies, a museum, a painting place to paint ceramics, out for ice cream/frozen yogurt, amusement park, zoo, out for a bike ride, a play, driving lessons in an empty parking lot or country roads, spa day ( men can get facials and massages too).

Old 01-01-2016, 10:45 PM

5,457 posts, read 3,334,218 times
Girls model after their mothers. Damage has already been done. The only thing that might knock them out of it is a life changing trauma that forces them to see things differently.
Not everyone loves the same. To you taking them fishing is special because you like it and it would allow more one on one time with them. But they are inclined to want pretty things and that is how your wife has been training them. That is how she shows love to her daughters as twisted as that is.
Try taking a cruise. There are activities, dances, sports, sun-bathing, a pool, floor shows.
Something for everyone.
I presume you can afford it because you have supported their shopping budget up til now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting