Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2009, 12:15 PM

350 posts, read 1,115,975 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyoquilter View Post
Not that I believe in evolution such as Darwinism, but I do believe in life evolving to meet the ever changing enviroments. I think that since the beginning of time we have evolved from barbaric, to civilized, to barbaric to civilized, ...etc. Our once civilized societies are once again becoming more and more exposed to violence and sex and with each new generation we are evolving into people who are becoming more accepting of this and therefore going back to barbarianism. This ever circling cycling has been more noticable since recorded time. I'm sure it was happening even long before recorded time there just isn't any record of it.

The more we are exposed to violence and sex, the more barbaric the next generation becomes. Then somewhere down the road we will see less and less exposure to violence and sex as new laws and rules are created and society will start to become civilized until someone starts redefining the new laws and rules just as they have always done. Look at how much redefining has happened to the Bill of Rights since they were first written.

So much has changed in our enviroments the last 50 years, heck within the last 20 years that we starting to see things happening that we would have never even thought about happening. But if you read history books you will see that these things we are seeing today has happened before and chances are will happen again as long as life remains on this planet.
Makes sense to me. Hopefully we'll turn the corner soon then and be back on the civilized road. I hope to see it in my life time. Geez. It is crazy. I feel horrible for the kids who are missing out on their childhoods and face uncertain futures.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2009, 12:30 PM

14,975 posts, read 16,428,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momojojo View Post
Makes sense to me. Hopefully we'll turn the corner soon then and be back on the civilized road. I hope to see it in my life time. Geez. It is crazy. I feel horrible for the kids who are missing out on their childhoods and face uncertain futures.
I agree.

Old 02-23-2009, 12:36 PM

2,011 posts, read 3,871,777 times
I'm not so sure about the video game thing. My kids all played and still play violent video games. They are all in their 20's now, know how to shoot and handle firearms. No problems with them in that arena. It's a combination of things, I believe, and the breakdown of the traditional family is a major one to me. Combine lack of discipline, no stable father in the picture, possible mental and /or physical abuse and you have a cocktail for disaster, gun or no.

Old 02-23-2009, 12:42 PM

3,238 posts, read 8,776,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
They weren't married. Another poster mentioned "not the most convential lifestyle for an 11 year old" and I agree with that statement completely. I don't approve of people who have live-in BF's/GF's when they have kids. When kids are involved, IMO, there absolutely needs to be a marriage before moving in.

The 11 year old is of course terribly in the wrong and needs to be punished severely but his anger/jealousy over the situation is very understable. I wouldn't EVER agree with trying an 11 year old as an adult no matter what. IMO they need to be at least 14 or so before that should even be a consideration.

As far as the gun, he could have found a way to commit the murder without the gun but access to the gun could have made it far more tempting and he might not have actually if the gun was out of the picture.
I agree with you 100%, but you do know it's not a popular stance nowadays. There are absolutely no standards anymore, and kids are witnessing all of this. Mom and dad split up, dad moves in with gf, mom moves her bf in. They split up, (most likely after having another baby), and the merry-go-round starts again. Very unhealthly atmosphere for children. So many people just don't "get it" that when you have a child your life changes. You are no longer "the one." Things that are acceptable for single people with no children simply don't belong in your world anymore. Deal with it.

Old 02-23-2009, 12:42 PM

72 posts, read 190,067 times
how can a boy have a shot gun? where was his father?

Old 02-23-2009, 12:48 PM

3,238 posts, read 8,776,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepejeep View Post
I'm not so sure about the video game thing. My kids all played and still play violent video games. They are all in their 20's now, know how to shoot and handle firearms. No problems with them in that arena. It's a combination of things, I believe, and the breakdown of the traditional family is a major one to me. Combine lack of discipline, no stable father in the picture, possible mental and /or physical abuse and you have a cocktail for disaster, gun or no.
I don't know why parents don't get the idea that children do best in a stable environment. That doesn't mean divorces don't happen, and children can't do well with divorced parents, but this switching of partners every time the wind blows is devastating for a child.

Then we have morons like the single, unemployed mother of 14 who we ALL know is headed down a road that will most likely destroy most of those kids unless authorities step in and rescue them. Caylee Anthony, Hayleigh Cummings -- all from untraditional homes. I'm sick to death of hearing these things when responsible adults KNOW what the problems are.

Old 02-23-2009, 12:55 PM

8,307 posts, read 38,719,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndiggity View Post
how can a boy have a shot gun? where was his father?
Strike the first sentence and you've hit the nail on the head.

This boy was a turkey hunter. Turkey hunters need shotguns. Not terribly surprising that he would have one.

Personally, I think that buying a youth sized shotgun is a ridiculous waste of money but certainly not an egregious, criminal oversight.

Old 02-23-2009, 01:03 PM

350 posts, read 1,115,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepejeep View Post
I'll step back from the video thing... I recently watched one of my old cartoons (sylvester and tweety I think), and it was pretty violent. If you have a kid who does nothing but play violent interactive video games, combined with parent(s) who don't care... then there could be problems.

Old 02-23-2009, 01:30 PM

2,467 posts, read 4,851,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momojojo View Post
I'll step back from the video thing... I recently watched one of my old cartoons (sylvester and tweety I think), and it was pretty violent. If you have a kid who does nothing but play violent interactive video games, combined with parent(s) who don't care... then there could be problems.
Parents caring or not caring it makes no difference. Kids are still being exposed to violence in video games and even cartoons. This goes back to when I said we are becoming more accepting of this exposure and that is why things are turning from good to bad. With each generation being exposed to violence and sex, regardless of how caring the parents are, we are becoming programmed to accept this stuff as normal. The more normal violence and sex becomes, the more barbaric we become.

When you compare Sylvester and Tweety to today's violent cartoons, they seem harmless in comparrison, but they are still harmful none the less as cartoons such as Sylvetser and Tweety were easements into today's violent cartoons and shows. Now we look at today's violent cartoons and shows as being normal.

I remember hearing about the controversy of Lucy (of I Love Lucy)showing her pregnancy on T.V. It was unimaginable, but someone redefined a law or rule and allowed it. But by allowing it, we have opened up the gateway to more exposure of sex. Now we accept watching naked people running across our T.V. screens as being normal.

Old 02-23-2009, 02:01 PM

3,842 posts, read 10,494,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyoquilter View Post
Parents caring or not caring it makes no difference. Kids are still being exposed to violence in video games and even cartoons. This goes back to when I said we are becoming more accepting of this exposure and that is why things are turning from good to bad. With each generation being exposed to violence and sex, regardless of how caring the parents are, we are becoming programmed to accept this stuff as normal. The more normal violence and sex becomes, the more barbaric we become.

I remember hearing about the controversy of Lucy (of I Love Lucy)showing her pregnancy on T.V. It was unimaginable, but someone redefined a law or rule and allowed it. But by allowing it, we have opened up the gateway to more exposure of sex. Now we accept watching naked people running across our T.V. screens as being normal.
Whose allowing the children to watch the cartoons? Parents.

Who is buying the vidoe games? Parents.

Who gives them a ride to the store to buy the video game with their birthday money? Parents.

Who sees the labels that show adult content on DVDs & CDs & video games & ignores it? Parents.

Parents are becoming more accepting of it. Parents are not taking the unpopular stance & saying "No. That is not something that is permitted in our home due to ..."

So, parents caring does make a difference. Caring about the crap your child watches on tv, sees on the internet, and video games that come into the home. Caring that your child knows the proper use of a gun. Caring that your child feels safe/secure in his home. Caring that your child does not feel alienated due to your other relationships.

Then, parents say "Well, they go to Johnny's house & see it/play it". Then don't allow them to go to Johnny's house!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And you DON'T have to accept cable or tv...turn it off or get it disconnected.

I'm a grown adult & when I finally have some tv time that doesn't revolve around Arthur or Word World, I turn the tv off most the time b/c it is just crap. I don't want to see teenage girls kissing teenage girls. I don't want to see women rolling around in a mudpile. I don't want to listen to the talking heads try to scare the daylights out of everyone. Why anyone allows their young child to watch unsupervised tv is beyond me....

But, I'm sure there are more issues to this sad story than unsupervised tv & video games....

Last edited by 121804; 02-23-2009 at 02:11 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting