U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: When should one have their first child?
Before 20 0 0%
Early 20s (20-23) 6 13.04%
Mid 20s (24-26) 14 30.43%
Late 20s (27-29) 18 39.13%
Early 30s (30-33) 7 15.22%
Mid 30s (34-36) 1 2.17%
Late 30s (37-39) 0 0%
40 or Later 0 0%
Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2009, 04:22 PM

403 posts, read 1,405,424 times

Advertisements

I believe mid 20s is good. Your body is still very healthy and you are still very active and can keep up with your children, but you may not be as emotionally or financially ready. While in your 30s you are more emotionally ready and financially as well, but you will probably be more worn out chasing after your children and not be as energetic as you would be in your 20s (of course so, some people, not all.)

What do you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2009, 04:57 PM

16,248 posts, read 20,601,350 times
It depends on how many you plan to have. Kids are expensive and you do not want to have them too close together of too late. Here is what I think:
1. 1st child right out of college around age 22
2. 2nd child at age 27- the first one will be in Kindergarten and out of the way
3. 3rd child at age 31- the 2nd child will be in kidergarten and the 1st in the 5th grade
4. 4th child at age 36- the 1st child will be entering high school and able to help care for the young ones

This way you can spread out things like school fees, sports expenses, graduation and none of them will be in college at the same time. The youngest will graduate from college and enter the work force when you are 58 and getting ready for retirement.

Old 02-23-2009, 05:43 PM

1,636 posts, read 3,656,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwflconch View Post
I believe mid 20s is good. Your body is still very healthy and you are still very active and can keep up with your children, but you may not be as emotionally or financially ready. While in your 30s you are more emotionally ready and financially as well, but you will probably be more worn out chasing after your children and not be as energetic as you would be in your 20s (of course so, some people, not all.)

What do you think?

I think 24-26 is a good age for the woman. For the man maybe 26-30. I guess that would only work if the man was always older than the female, lol

Right now I can't afford to have another child. Especially since my husband and I had to take a break with school because of a life threatening illness 2 years back.

But if I could afford it my plan would be as follows:

child #1 at 26 (which I did)
child #2 at 29
child #3 at 32

And down the line I might consider having a fourth. But no later than age 38.

Old 02-23-2009, 06:21 PM

7,099 posts, read 23,900,925 times
We had three very close together. It was hard then, but it was worth it in the long run. We got them though college and out on their own about the same time. And when the grandchildren came, we were still young enough to handle them without being worn out.

I can't imagine spreading the childhoods out over several years and having to put up with teens in my forties (think menopause)

Old 02-23-2009, 07:53 PM

2,466 posts, read 4,203,543 times
Ideally, I would say mid 20s is good age to have your first child. But reality is folks are either much younger (mid teens) or much older (mid 40s). As one poster stated mid 20s is a good age because of health. Any older or younger there are to many risks to both mother and child. I had my last child when I was 31 and even being that age and had 4 children prior too, that were all normal and healthy deliveries, I was considered a high risk because of my age not because I had 4 other kids. High risk pregnancies are more expensive because they require more doctor visits and tests to make sure everything was okay with us both.

There was 4 & 1/2 years between my first two, 5 years between my second and third, 2 years between my third and forth and 2 years between my forth and fifth. My first two didn't get along at all because of age and sex difference. Oldest is a girl and second is a boy. The oldest loved to boss around the second. The third through fifth are all girls and there was no problems with the age or sex difference between the second and the third. Second acted like a big brother should and was/is very protective of his younger siblings. The three younger ones get along great because they are so close in age. The third one is starting puperty and likes to have some space from her two younger siblings, but the two younger ones still play together and by the time the 4th reaches puperty the third will hopefully not mind hanging out with the younger one once again.

Old 02-23-2009, 08:07 PM

502 posts, read 1,430,914 times
Depending on your goals, I'd combine two of the choices and say mid to late 20's. I had my first at 27 because I wanted to finish grad school first (which I did at 26). I just turned 31 and will be having my second (and probably last) in a few weeks. If my plans were to stop at my undergraduate degree I probably would have had my kids two to three years earlier.

Old 02-23-2009, 08:33 PM

9,761 posts, read 2,964,288 times
I think it depends on the individual and their priorities.. do you have certain goals that you want to achieve.. how do you define a 'good life'.. how secure are you in your relationship.. if something were to happen to your SO, do you feel competent in your skills.. are you mature/self-less enough.. is your life NOW conducive to raising a child? Etc. Etc. Assess your current life.. reflect on your goals/dreams.. and ask yourself how a child will fit into all that. I think 30s plus is a fine time to have children.. I'm uncomfortable making a blanket statement that a certain age is the perfect time to have a child. I think this is a major decision that has to be left up to the individual and everyone's different.

Old 02-23-2009, 08:39 PM

14,969 posts, read 13,770,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlaGrrrl View Post
I think it depends on the individual and their priorities.. do you have certain goals that you want to achieve.. how do you define a 'good life'.. how secure are you in your relationship.. if something were to happen to your SO, do you feel competent in your skills.. are you mature/self-less enough.. is your life NOW conducive to raising a child? Etc. Etc. Assess your current life.. reflect on your goals/dreams.. and ask yourself how a child will fit into all that. I think 30s plus is a fine time to have children.. I'm uncomfortable making a blanket statement that a certain age is the perfect time to have a child. I think this is a major decision that has to be left up to the individual and everyone's different.
I'd say sometime between 27 and 32.

And as to the bold statement...you shouldn't ever plan to have kids with your SO unless he or she is your spouse.

Old 02-23-2009, 08:41 PM

9,761 posts, read 2,964,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
I'd say sometime between 27 and 32.

And as to the bold statement...you shouldn't ever plan to have kids with your SO unless he or she is your spouse.
Well.. you know what they say about opinions---

Now what is this about: you shouldn't ever plan to have kids with your SO unless he or she is your spouse?

Old 02-23-2009, 08:45 PM

14,969 posts, read 13,770,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlaGrrrl View Post
Well.. you know what they say about opinions---

Now what is this about: you shouldn't ever plan to have kids with your SO unless he or she is your spouse?
SO means significant other. That could mean a BF/GF. Why would anyone intentionally have a child with a BF/GF? Marriage needs to come first.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or