Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2009, 04:12 AM

891 posts, read 3,045,429 times

Advertisements

Never! I try to get college age but have used a junior in high school. I just don't think any 12 year old would know what to do in an emergency situation. Luckily I live in a college town so it isn't hard to find college girls.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2009, 06:39 AM

15,830 posts, read 21,343,774 times
I was babysitting by 12- but I also was first aid certified and had already had to deal with a medical emergency in my own home alone when my dad went into diabetic shock. At 12 I better knew how to deal with emergencies than many adults do. Luckily I never had to deal with any kind of emergency when babysitting but I felt very confident in dealing with anything that might arise. I took refresher first aid every other year.

That said, I don't know how many 12 year olds I would put the same trust in as parents put in me. I was a mother's helper to a woman with a toddler and newborn when I was 10 and babysat a toddler when the mother was redecorating in the home when I was 11- so by the time I was 12 I already had 2 years of childcare under my belt and first aid and babysitting training.

Old 02-27-2009, 07:04 AM

11,642 posts, read 23,840,258 times
I would hire a 12 year old as a mothers helper but I just started leaving my 12 year old alone at home for longer stretches. I just can't see most kids his age being able to babysit (which I define as having no adult in the home) young kids.

I wonder if it makes a difference if you live in an urban area, as we do. Those of you with 12 year olds who babysit, do you live in rural areas?

Old 02-27-2009, 01:42 PM

1,429 posts, read 4,270,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
I would hire a 12 year old as a mothers helper but I just started leaving my 12 year old alone at home for longer stretches. I just can't see most kids his age being able to babysit (which I define as having no adult in the home) young kids.

I wonder if it makes a difference if you live in an urban area, as we do. Those of you with 12 year olds who babysit, do you live in rural areas?
We have two acres about 3 miles from two major interstates. We do live in a more rural setting, but it is in a major area of our state. The closest city (which I work in) is 7 miles from my home and has 250000 people. The area where the home is on a dirt road, back in the woods with well water and no cable. I guess I have a rural home in an urbanish area

Old 02-27-2009, 01:47 PM

8,672 posts, read 22,230,159 times
I had my first babysitting job at 11, but really I think under 14 is probably too young. There are exceptions, of course, but in general, most girls under this age don't have sufficient judgment IMO. It also depends somewhat on the age and maturity of your child(ren.) Obviously, if they are a little older, I think the younger the babysitter could be. I guess now that I am older I think about what kind of things could happen ~~such as the child choking on something etc. Would the baby-sitter know what to do? I know it's not always possible, but looking back, I would prefer an adult be with my child actually.

Old 02-27-2009, 05:07 PM

1,312 posts, read 4,766,239 times
I started at 12, but it was for the kids 2 doors down, and only for a couple hours before they went to bed. I remember the mother used to try to get me to do all her dishes, fold her laundry, and vacuum too! I never did, so it didn't last long. I was very mature for my age, and of course this was in the early 80's, so a looooong time ago and a different time altogether. I don't think I'd let a 12 year old watch my kids....my son is a handful and I would prefer someone older.

Old 07-09-2012, 11:37 AM

1 posts, read 1,038 times
Well really age doesn't matter, the level of maturity and skill matters. I would hire a 12 year old who I thought was ready, mature, and skilled because its good to let somebody get experience and follow what they want to do.

Old 07-09-2012, 02:26 PM

2,154 posts, read 4,415,837 times
Yes, I would hire a 12 year old for a couple hours as long as it wasn't past say 8pm or 9pm at the very latest. I was babysitting at 12 years old. I would be more concerned with how mature the person was and if they had any previous experience- not just base it off of an age.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
In one post I read someone said their nieces started babysitting at 12 years old. That seems really young to me.

Would you hire a 12 year old babysitter?

Would you allow your 12 year old to babysit?

I have to answer no to both questions. My sons are 15, 12, 9 and there is no way I would let them babysit at 12, nor would I hire a 12 year old to watch my little one.

I just started letting my 12 year old stay home by himself for longer periods of time. I don't leave my 9 year old for more than half an hour if I can help it.

My oldest is old enough to babysit for other kids but he has a hard time getting babysitting jobs because people don't want to hire boys.

Old 07-09-2012, 02:45 PM

331 posts, read 601,731 times
My mother always had children in our home from the time I was 6 yrs old or so. I began being a babysitter's helper(my sister) when I was 10, so I grew up learning a lot about caring for children. I started babysitting on my own around 12.

My daughter(9) is responsible, mature, and takes care of self, so I have allowed a 13 yr old to stay with her during the day. Theyjust hung out; played games, colored and ate. My daughter also has a cell phone in which throughout the day we are in constant communication with one another as well.

I agree with what the majority are saying, maturity and a mother's gut instinct tells all!!

Old 07-09-2012, 05:56 PM

10,629 posts, read 26,660,945 times
Yes and yes, but it would clearly depend on the kid. And the situation. Until late at night -- no. During the daytime while I run errands, yes. Where I lived in Minneapolis the kids that age who wanted to babysit took the Red Cross babysitting classes and took their responsibilities seriously. They knew how to handle emergencies, and when to call for help.

I've always lived in urban, not rural areas. I would imagine that I might be more uncomfortable in a rural area. In a city there are always other people nearby in case of emergency.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting