Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2009, 07:42 AM

756 posts, read 2,213,050 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyma View Post
did ya notice the OP hasn't been on since 2/28??? hmmmm....
She's probably too scared to come back. Can't say I blame her.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2009, 11:59 AM

2,751 posts, read 5,350,257 times
The idea of any girl getting hit, violently, by a father is so abhorrent to me I don't know how to respond except to say that it sickens me.

Where and when I grew up every boy on our street got regularly beaten by their dads. There never was a dearth of reasons to do it; late for school, late for dinner, sass your mother or your teacher, just generally act up, act in short like a boy, the real boy you'd better be or they would disown you. But too much, step over the line from ruffian to rogue and you had a better than ordinary beating coming, if not from your father then from your uncle or your teacher or a neighbor, who the way some fathers saw it had carte blanche when it came to straightening your ass out if he caught you doing something on the street. Everybody on our street got beaten in the name of discipline, in the name of good, Christian child rearing. A spanking, I guess, is one thing, an ass whoopin' another. But what parents who beat their kids regularly for their own good don't realize is the message your sending is that they are too stupid, too incorigible to be reasoned with. Is there any wonder then why that is how they behave? I don't say a parent can't slip. I've smacked my son exactly twice. Once when he got caught shoplifting and another when he said, F*ck you to me. But when he has acted up I sit him down and explain why that is not good behavior, why it is not good for him, for those around him, etc. and surprisingly enough he seems to get it.

Old 03-08-2009, 12:05 PM

14,975 posts, read 16,404,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExPit View Post
The idea of any girl getting hit, violently, by a father is so abhorrent to me I don't know how to respond except to say that it sickens me.

Where and when I grew up every boy on our street got regularly beaten by their dads. There never was a dearth of reasons to do it; late for school, late for dinner, sass your mother or your teacher, just generally act up, act in short like a boy, the real boy you'd better be or they would disown you. But too much, step over the line from ruffian to rogue and you had a better than ordinary beating coming, if not from your father then from your uncle or your teacher or a neighbor, who the way some fathers saw it had carte blanche when it came to straightening your ass out if he caught you doing something on the street. Everybody on our street got beaten in the name of discipline, in the name of good, Christian child rearing. A spanking, I guess, is one thing, an ass whoopin' another. But what parents who beat their kids regularly for their own good don't realize is the message your sending is that they are too stupid, too incorigible to be reasoned with. Is there any wonder then why that is how they behave? I don't say a parent can't slip. I've smacked my son exactly twice. Once when he got caught shoplifting and another when he said, F*ck you to me. But when he has acted up I sit him down and explain why that is not good behavior, why it is not good for him, for those around him, etc. and surprisingly enough he seems to get it.
I would never advocate a smacking or an "ass whoppin." I do believe in spanking though.

Old 03-08-2009, 12:13 PM

1,461 posts, read 4,854,325 times
Default My son saying teacher smacked him

Not in this lifetime would a teacher EVER hit a child of mine. As a matter of fact, when my son was in high school, I was waiting for him to finish football practice and I saw the "line coach" grab him by the helmet on the facemask part and shake his head back and forth while he was yelling at him. I waited until practice was over and as gthe line coach was walking into the building, I grabbed his arm and told him if he ever touched my son again like that I would have his job. I was a single Mom at the time raising my son alone and his behavior towards my son was not acceptable. I told this a-hole of a coach that I didn't hit my son, nor did I grab him like he just did and would be damned if anyone else would.

Well, little did I know half the team heard me tear this guy a new one and I was their new bestest friend ever. God, I was pretty embarrassed when I found out that they did hear me. Anyhow, turns out this coach had a problem with booze...never should have been teaching anyone anything.

Old 03-08-2009, 12:42 PM

893 posts, read 1,575,136 times
Yeah, I believe the boy was telling his mother a lie, which is a problem itself. Schools here still paddle but NO teacher would ever lay their hands on a student....period!!!!

Old 03-09-2009, 06:26 PM

1,316 posts, read 2,457,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by conceredmom8280 View Post
I am looking for some advice on how to handle a situation about my son saying his teacher smacked him in the face.
They are still hitting kids in school? YOU HAVE GOT TO BE KIDDING!!!! Whether being slapped or paddled, if this existed in the schools where my children attended, SERIOUSLY, I would be homeschooling my kids. I would never put my children in the hands of such ignorant people to educate them. Back to your question on what you should do and I can tell you exactly what I would do.... I would walk into the classroom and give her a nice slap back and ask her how it feels to be humiliated? I was abused back in the 70's by teachers all my life and I would never allow this to happen to my children. Not in a million years.

PS For those who do believe in spankings, you really should read some book on the long term negative affects this has on children. You will never regain that respect from your children that you had lost when you hit them. NEVER. I know from experience. In the meantime, here is an article for all to read.... http://www.cnn.com/HEALTH/9708/14/nfm.spanking/

Old 03-09-2009, 08:18 PM

6,497 posts, read 11,777,432 times
You don't walk into a classroom to slap a teacher based on the word of a kid. You find out the facts first, you know, before you're charged with assault.

Get over this "loss of respect" from your children because you spanked them. Spanking is not abuse.

Old 03-09-2009, 09:06 PM

4,264 posts, read 9,248,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojo7 View Post
They are still hitting kids in school? YOU HAVE GOT TO BE KIDDING!!!! Whether being slapped or paddled, if this existed in the schools where my children attended, SERIOUSLY, I would be homeschooling my kids. I would never put my children in the hands of such ignorant people to educate them. Back to your question on what you should do and I can tell you exactly what I would do.... I would walk into the classroom and give her a nice slap back and ask her how it feels to be humiliated? I was abused back in the 70's by teachers all my life and I would never allow this to happen to my children. Not in a million years.

PS For those who do believe in spankings, you really should read some book on the long term negative affects this has on children. You will never regain that respect from your children that you had lost when you hit them. NEVER. I know from experience. In the meantime, here is an article for all to read.... CNN - Study: Spanking kids leads to long-term bad behavior - August 14, 1997

In this day and age if you were to do that without first discussing what actually happened you might find youself sitting in a jail cell. It's called assault.

Let's see all of my 5 kids have at one time or another gotten their little tush's busted for misbehaving and there is not a loss of respect. No wonder alot of kids today are brats and don't understand the concept of proper behaviour.

Old 03-09-2009, 09:53 PM

1,082 posts, read 4,706,100 times
I can't believe more people didn't suggest questions to ask the child. Yes, how old, what happened, why does he think it happened, was he having trouble in school work already and looking for mom's support, has he ever had issues before, has the teacher had issues before, what do his peers think of the teacher, does he have peers/friends?, can she ask other parents if they've heard similar stories, or other teachers?

I don't think you just accuse a teacher based on one child's unverified story. I have seen a few times where the kid was looking to get the focus off of them. That being said, any kid could cause an adult to loose their temper once in a while, teacher or not. I am not saying it's right but we do not live in a "nonviolent" world and parents who think teachers should all be perfect are dreaming.

Old 03-09-2009, 11:44 PM

1,316 posts, read 2,457,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelstress View Post
You don't walk into a classroom to slap a teacher based on the word of a kid. You find out the facts first, you know, before you're charged with assault.

Get over this "loss of respect" from your children because you spanked them. Spanking is not abuse.
Uh, no kidding you find out the facts first. I don't need to get over the "loss of respect". You need to face the truth that spanking children is child abuse. I'm glad you can look yourself in the mirror and not think there is anything wrong with that. Any Psychologist will tell you the same as me. You are doing serious emotion damage to your children. So sad!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting