Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2009, 12:54 PM

1 posts, read 1,393 times

Advertisements

There is a thing called "limited profile" so that you can limit what certain friends can see - narrowed down to the specific friend.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2009, 01:25 PM

5,747 posts, read 12,047,723 times
I might be considered a bit extreme in my views, but I think it is a mistake for teachers to participate in these types of social networks. There is just too much potential for misunderstandings, and the consequences can be devastating.

Old 07-02-2009, 03:45 PM

8,231 posts, read 17,311,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by formercalifornian View Post
I might be considered a bit extreme in my views, but I think it is a mistake for teachers to participate in these types of social networks. There is just too much potential for misunderstandings, and the consequences can be devastating.
Why? Is it because they work with children? If so, then I'm sure you'll agree that doctors, dentists, counselors, babysitters, nannies and parents should not have facebook accounts. Right?

Old 07-02-2009, 10:10 PM

5,747 posts, read 12,047,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimimomx3 View Post
Why? For all of the reasons previous posters have given. Social networking sites create a false impression of intimacy, which makes it difficult for participants to resist posting information imprudently, and one instance of letting down your guard can haunt you forever.

Is it because they work with children? No. I believe that anyone who has been employed, is employed, or might be employed (in other words, everyone) should treat on-line social networking with kid gloves. It's important to remember that once information is posted to the internet, it is completely out of your control forever.

If so, then I'm sure you'll agree that doctors, dentists, counselors, babysitters, nannies and parents should not have facebook accounts. Right? Yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, and yes. If you still insist on participating and revealing any aspect of your personal life, I would implore you to take every precaution to protect yourself by limiting who has access to your account.
I told you my views were extreme.

Last edited by formercalifornian; 07-02-2009 at 10:22 PM..

Old 07-03-2009, 12:21 PM

Quote:
I told you my views were extreme.
I think that adding students to a teacher's FB page is inappropriate. I see nothing wrong with a teacher having a FB page for personal use.

Old 07-03-2009, 11:06 PM

475 posts, read 1,304,438 times
I am a high school teacher and my policy is that I ignore all friend requests from students. I will accept former students.

Being that SO many of my students are on facebook, I felt like I was missing a huge window in which to give them info. So what I did was create a page just for my class. This classpage functions like a message board/ info center. My students become fans of the classpage which I control. This way I'm connected but I still have that level of seperation. My students cannot access my personal page yet they can still communicate with me via facebook just through our classpage only. the classpage only has science pictures and images that are relavent to the class.

Old 07-04-2009, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kickchick2000 View Post
I am a high school teacher and my policy is that I ignore all friend requests from students. I will accept former students.

Being that SO many of my students are on facebook, I felt like I was missing a huge window in which to give them info. So what I did was create a page just for my class. This classpage functions like a message board/ info center. My students become fans of the classpage which I control. This way I'm connected but I still have that level of seperation. My students cannot access my personal page yet they can still communicate with me via facebook just through our classpage only. the classpage only has science pictures and images that are relavent to the class.
Perfect solution.

Old 07-04-2009, 06:58 PM

37,121 posts, read 42,186,006 times
Quote:
My son tried to "freind" one of his teachers and she told him the same thing, and I think it's a good idea. Now that he has graduated he may or may not try to friend" her again. My D22 is facebook friends with 2 or 3 of her former teachers and even meets one for lunch whenever she is in town.

Old 09-29-2009, 09:13 PM
pll

1,112 posts, read 2,485,252 times
Quote:
I agree. Especially people in your field. You are a leader in the community so you are held a higher standard then people in other professions.

Old 09-29-2009, 09:56 PM

14,247 posts, read 17,913,622 times
Quote:

Good move.

Although I do use Facebook, I am very careful about the personal information, if any, that I post on it as well as the "friends" I accept. There is simply too much potential for misuse.

ps. hope you don't teach English too
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting