Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2009, 12:18 PM

5,244 posts, read 4,698,663 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzie02 View Post
I am planning my first kids b-day party. I have picked the location and the theme. Now the party favors. I thought I ask other for your opinion. So here are some questions.

Quote:
What is the most annoying party favor your kid has ever gotten?
playdoh, but my kids love it and I never get it for them so it is a treat for them. Dries in a few days then in the trash.
Quote:
Which ones are just junk??
have to agree with the kazoo toys
Quote:
Should I make different bags for boys and girls??
I wouldn't.
Quote:
Is candy on the bag ok???
I would put your daughter's favorite candy in it, it is her party.
Quote:
Which toys have your kids played with the most???
I can't remember.

TIA
For the diego/dora party, I agree with the color books idea. One year at the dollar store I found a small clear bag including a pad and pen, added a candy and a note saying thanks for coming. I think Hobby Lobby has canvas backpacks that you could have the kids decorate or you could just put the book/colors in it; you know, Dora and the backpack theme. I would not spend more than $5 on each goody bag.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2009, 01:22 PM

2,884 posts, read 5,914,668 times
A big box of Styrofoam peanuts and a roll of bubble-wrap.

Old 10-21-2009, 05:03 PM

1,492 posts, read 3,222,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TouchOfWhimsy View Post
My only advice is not to spend too much money... I don't think we've ever received a typical party favor that didn't end up in the trash within a day or two.

What is the theme of the party? Maybe instead of the typical doodads you could buy a small stuffed animal or a plate/cup set or something useful for each child? Or for a spring party, maybe some sidewalk chalk, bubbles, or a jump rope.
In Australia, these are called party bags. It seems odd to me that kids expect to take something home from a party.

I agree that mostly what comes home is either eaten or thrown out so why send it home in the first place.

This is a question that my wife and I have discussed. So that the little darlings don't feel deprived of taking something home, we have strated doing some craft. Colouring in or such. Also we will usually have a treasure hunt. We give each kid a brown paper bag and write their name on it and then off they go looking for sweets and nuts and stuff. That becomes the party bag.

Personally I would not spend any money on this junk.

Old 10-21-2009, 05:43 PM

577 posts, read 2,053,176 times
One year my child asked for Clifford the Big Red Dog as her party theme. I found a set of Clifford books on ebay and used them as the party favors. I think they cost about $9 for 10 books. Heck of a deal. You also could spend about $3.99 each and buy some Dora & Diego books at a bookstore (the Early Reader paperbacks are about that much).

For younger children you could do board books like the ones by Sandra Boynton. You can usually find good deals at stores like Ross, Marshalls, and T.J. Maxx.

I don't like to give out junk that goes pretty much straight into the trash.

Old 01-21-2010, 02:00 AM

6,066 posts, read 14,998,906 times
Quote:
I am planning my first kids b-day party. I have picked the location and the theme. Now the party favors. I thought I ask other for your opinion. So here are some questions.

Which ones are just junk?
Should I make different bags for boys and girls?
Is candy on the bag ok?
Which toys have your kids played with the most?

TIA
Q1: most annoying - goldfish! Seriously - do not give pets as party favors.

Q2: worst junk - candy, and those cheap plastic crap toys that they sell in the party supplies aisles

Q3: different bags for boys and girls - I wouldn't make different bags. I tried this one year and it got a little hectic. Also, sometimes parents surprise you with bringing along last-minute friends that are visiting or siblings and you're obligated to include them as well (I know, sounds tacky, but has happened to us on several occasions, and we're too nice to say "No, I'm sorry, but we're not providing daycare services at this time..." ) So it's a good idea to make a few extra goody-bags/party favors if you're going to do them at all.

Q4: candy - Personally we don't like it when candy is given, nor do we give out candy at our parties. We figure the cake and ice cream are enough in the copious amounts of sugar and crap dept. But we lean crunchy, so... it's really a personal thing. A lot of parents don't care one way or the other - and it IS a party, so I think candy would probably be OK if you wanted to go for it. Fruit leathers or snack-size bags of goldfish or pretzels or popcorn (our kids love "veggiebooty", which I've always thought would be fun for a pirate-themed birthday party! ) or something like that can perhaps be a healthier choice? Or even home-baked cookies or cupcakes?

Q5: most played with toy - Recently a parent gave out these very small remote control cars as party favors... the kids (boys and girls) loved them. They were cheap little cars, so they only lasted about a week or two, but the kids had fun while they lasted.

What is the theme of your party? Sometimes you can create a party favor that goes along with your theme. If we knew your theme, we might be able to help you come up with some fun ideas.

One of my favorite things to do is to set aside some time during the party to create something, and that becomes their party favor that they take home. We've done pottery, feather quill pens and flower pens, tie-dye t-shirts, Christmas ornaments, miniature Christmas trees (we have a December birthday), personalized painted plates, personalized plastic cups (that they filled with popcorn), and customized flip flops (summer birthday pool party).

Old 01-21-2010, 02:00 AM

4,156 posts, read 10,983,682 times
Quote:

Which ones are just junk?
Should I make different bags for boys and girls?
Is candy on the bag ok?
Which toys have your kids played with the most?

TIA

My kids favorite party favors, (and mine too) temporary tattoos:
No cavities, no permanent ink, no noise making and no cheap plastic junk that I have to deal with all over the house!!! Yay!

Old 01-21-2010, 02:04 AM

6,066 posts, read 14,998,906 times
Ooops - sorry! I missed the post where you said your theme... we don't watch that show so unfortunately I have no idea what Diego or Dora is about... Does the show have a website where there are lesson plans or craft ideas? Maybe you could get some ideas there...

Old 01-21-2010, 06:26 AM

4,502 posts, read 13,435,363 times
With my DDs b'day parties (when she was much younger), I would usually put a pack of Crayola crayons, a small coloring book, bubbles, sidewalk chalk, fancy pencils, stickers, some candy, etc. Simple things that don't cost too much, are good for boys & girls, and it's stuff they will use.

Old 01-21-2010, 10:22 AM

6 posts, read 8,631 times
I have been in the paper craft business for the past 19 years. I started when our oldest daughter was in elementary school. She loved to make valentines cards for her friends. [url=http://latenightstamper1.blogspot.com/]Late Night Stamper[/url] if you view my blog you will see some great ideas for kids cards as well as some fun ideas for your friends and family. Sherrill Graff [email]istmpnv@aol.com[/email]

Old 01-21-2010, 10:39 AM

3,644 posts, read 10,911,316 times
I stopped doing party favors when I realized one year that I spent $100 on the bags. Combine that with the $100 I spent putting the party together and we decided to start doing something "better".

One year, we took my daughter, her 2 best friends and their moms to a tea house for "high tea". The girls got fussed over and we all had a great time. I purchased "tea for one" pots for each of the little girls. Still came in under $100.

Another year we went to an indoor inflatables place. I made the cake. For $150 we had 1 1/2 hours of play, 1/2 hour for cake. I spent $20 to get each of the 25 kids a toy from the under a dollar aisle at Walmart - the number under each child's cake plate decided which gift they got.

This year, I spent a bit more for my son's 10th party - $250 including the cake. But we went to an indoor theme park where the kids got to ride go carts, tackle a rock climbing wall, bumper boats, all-you-can-eat buffet, video/arcade games and more. This was for 10 kids and their parents. We did not do party favors and I certainly don't think anyone missed it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting