Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How will you react toward your gay or lesbian child?
Outburst of rage, then disown and reject the child. 4 3.54%
Lecture/berate the child about God and ethics and then remain indifferent to his or her needs/opinions/concerns. 2 1.77%
Remain neutral yet you refuse to support any GLBT activities or events. 12 10.62%
Be supportive, empathetic, concerned, and helpful. 95 84.07%
Voters: 113. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2009, 09:16 AM

14,975 posts, read 16,453,455 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormy night View Post
Careful, I said EXACTLY the same thing and have been taking fire from it ever since. All these perfect people will judge you very harshly for this opinion.
Exactly. There was a thread a few weeks ago on the politics and other controversies forum about gay marriage. I went on there and posted that I was against gay marriage. There were at least 5-10 people on there who called me a bigot and even compared me to Hitler just for being against gay marriage. The thread continued for maybe a week with people arguing how hateful I was.

I am moderately conservative and Christian and support family values. I believe that families should not include two mothers or two fathers. I'm not anti-gay or hateful in any way. They also compared me to being in support of discrimination the way blacks were discriminated against...you know "white only" restaurants, restrooms, water fountains, etc. Well I NEVER said I support "straight only" places and I most certainly do not. A lot of people fail to see any distinction and are willing to take a slightly more conservative opinion and turn it in to some bigotry/hatred that doesn't even exist.

In my state, gay sex was actually criminal until 2003 or so. I'm actually glad that law was overturned...yet I'm still somehow anti-gay and a bigot.

These people think they are perfect and so accepting of everyone...yet some of them said they are strongly against polygamous marriages. Hmmm....

Old 03-11-2009, 10:50 AM

1,636 posts, read 4,227,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
Exactly. There was a thread a few weeks ago on the politics and other controversies forum about gay marriage. I went on there and posted that I was against gay marriage. There were at least 5-10 people on there who called me a bigot and even compared me to Hitler just for being against gay marriage. The thread continued for maybe a week with people arguing how hateful I was.

I am moderately conservative and Christian and support family values. I believe that families should not include two mothers or two fathers. I'm not anti-gay or hateful in any way. They also compared me to being in support of discrimination the way blacks were discriminated against...you know "white only" restaurants, restrooms, water fountains, etc. Well I NEVER said I support "straight only" places and I most certainly do not. A lot of people fail to see any distinction and are willing to take a slightly more conservative opinion and turn it in to some bigotry/hatred that doesn't even exist.

In my state, gay sex was actually criminal until 2003 or so. I'm actually glad that law was overturned...yet I'm still somehow anti-gay and a bigot.

These people think they are perfect and so accepting of everyone...yet some of them said they are strongly against polygamous marriages. Hmmm....
I completely agree that people are extremely judgemental and jump just because someone disagrees. As you can see from past posts I am very much for gay marriage and homosexuality in in general. My best friend is gay and married. That is besides the point. I respect YOUR view that gay marriage should NOT be allowed. I also am pro life and believe at the same time it is NOT my place to say what another woman may or may not do with her body. I am also against the death penalty but can even empathize with a mother who wants to see the person who murdered her child put in the electric chair.

I do however have a problem with people who are against gay marriage who had premarital sex or have been divorced. I say that because most that view gay marriage as "wrong" see the vows as something sacred between a man and a woman. But if you are divorced and/or had sex before marriage, it doesn't seem to be that sacred to that person.

I do respect your opinion. You have every right to it. To judge a person for being gay is seperate issue.

Old 03-11-2009, 12:39 PM

3,196 posts, read 5,394,590 times
I gave rep points to BOTH of the previous two posters. It's ok to have different opinions. It's not ok to have anger over that.

Old 03-11-2009, 12:50 PM

1,986 posts, read 4,065,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post

How dare they!!!

Seriously, I never figured you for a bigot or hateful in any way in any of your posts.

These people who think they are perfect and so accepting of everyone are the very same ones who think they are above everybody else and only their way of thinking is what is acceptable. As long as you agree with them, you're ok, but DISagree, and you're damned forever.

Old 03-11-2009, 03:37 PM

3,650 posts, read 9,209,220 times
Agree, very well said. Sadly, this is a sign of the times we live in. Conservative values are very much not "in vogue" - which wouldn't bother me per se if it wasn't for how common it is to label such people as evil close-minded bigots, and worse, the people doing the labelling are often the ones far guiltier of such attitudes that they rant about. Hypocrisy and severe stupidity rule the day. You're Christian? White? Heterosexual? By golly you MUST be a bigot! I bet you walk around thumping Bibles over people's heads and telling gays they're going straight to hell while burning a cross in your yard blah blah blah

Old 03-11-2009, 04:13 PM

14,975 posts, read 16,453,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joey2000 View Post
Agree, very well said. Sadly, this is a sign of the times we live in. Conservative values are very much not "in vogue" - which wouldn't bother me per se if it wasn't for how common it is to label such people as evil close-minded bigots, and worse, the people doing the labelling are often the ones far guiltier of such attitudes that they rant about. Hypocrisy and severe stupidity rule the day. You're Christian? White? Heterosexual? By golly you MUST be a bigot! I bet you walk around thumping Bibles over people's heads and telling gays they're going straight to hell while burning a cross in your yard blah blah blah

Hahaha.....unfortunately I think that's the way we're headed. Tried to rep both you and stormy but I have to spread it around. Oh well...I tried.

Old 03-11-2009, 08:08 PM

3,650 posts, read 9,209,220 times
Likewise.

Oh well - see you at the next KKK meeting. amen.

PS I see my "rep" is now 333......that's half of 666!!! AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Old 03-11-2009, 08:17 PM

1,986 posts, read 4,065,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joey2000 View Post
Likewise.

Oh well - see you at the next KKK meeting. amen.

PS I see my "rep" is now 333......that's half of 666!!! AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
So you're halfway there. GOOD FOR YOU !!!

Old 03-11-2009, 10:26 PM

1,636 posts, read 4,227,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormy night View Post
How dare they!!!

Seriously, I never figured you for a bigot or hateful in any way in any of your posts.

These people who think they are perfect and so accepting of everyone are the very same ones who think they are above everybody else and only their way of thinking is what is acceptable. As long as you agree with them, you're ok, but DISagree, and you're damned forever.

I don't think Afoig is a biggot either. Everyone does have their right to an opinion. What isn't right is people not practicing what they preach! If someone can honestly say they DON'T judge people they must follow that way of thinking and acting in ALL situations. There are people who say not to judge a parent who has a swearing child but it's ok to judge Nadya. The same people would accept their gay child yet they say tattoos are for tramps. There are those who send nasty emails to people PERSONALLY attacking them yet they preach to treat everyone equally and attempt to persuade people to believe THEY respect everyone.

The posts speak for themselves.

There is an idea that goes along with ethics in general: You must have consistency in your philisophical beliefs. Without that you haven't developed the "self" completely and need to "chill" on the judgements as if you have it "all figured out." Most of us don't. I agree that some of my thoughts and opinions run wild sometimes, but I try to be consistent.

So next time some of you on here claims to be NON-JUDGEMENTAL, take a look at your "consistency." I assure you, some of you will find none.

By the way, while we are here on this forum typing wildly at each other, there are thousands of young boys and girls questioning their sexuality. And many of them will NEVER accept themselves let alone have their families do so. I don't care about the sacredness of vows, the views of the church, how some were raised, person's phobias, how well versed their vocabulary is, how many links someone can provide, what kind of schooling someone had, who paid what in taxes, who did or didn't use tax dollars, who had sex with who, whenever, however or whatever, I DO have consistency in MY beliefs. I DO accept ANYONE for what and who they are. I DO give anyone the benifit of the doubt. I DO care for children NO MATTER WHAT. I DO take into consideration that I do not know the exact story and history to every single situation we discuss here on this forum and in the news.

And most of all I DO realize that I am no better and no more worthy than anyone. And that includes homosexuals, mothers who beat sex offenders because they are mad and scared, parents who swear in front of their children and YES even women who use loan money to pay for IVF to bring children she can't afford financially or emotionally into this world.

THAT is what being NON JUDGEMENTAL is all about

And I am with all of my being

Last edited by miasmommy; 03-11-2009 at 10:42 PM..

Old 03-11-2009, 10:28 PM

1,009 posts, read 874,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miasmommy View Post

I do however have a problem with people who are against gay marriage who had premarital sex or have been divorced. I say that because most that view gay marriage as "wrong" see the vows as something sacred between a man and a woman. But if you are divorced and/or had sex before marriage, it doesn't seem to be that sacred to that person.

I do respect your opinion. You have every right to it. To judge a person for being gay is seperate issue.

I see vows/oaths of any sort for what the Messiah told me to see them as, in Matthew 5. A sincere Christian will abstain from all oaths and/or vows and never swear by anything.

Society made those vows and society made them sacred. God had nothing to do with it. Half of all people who swear those vows will divorce anyway.

Marriage is a matter of God, not a matter of state. The state should entirely withdraw from it and leave it for the congregations and individuals to handle.

But most Christians don't know the bible and could care less about it. Disney movies, their parents, pop culture, and their equally ignorant (or frequently deceitful) preachers tell them to imagine a wedding with super vows and oaths, and so that's what they aim to have.

Let your yes be a yes and your no be a no, anything more cometh from evil.

As to those who swear their vows and take their oaths, with their vain repetitions... They think they shall be heard for their much speaking.

To me the entire modern institution of Christian marriage, what they call Christian marriage, has absolutely nothing to do with Christianity and virtually everything to do with the pagan traditions of infidel men. There's not much more they could do to the institution of marriage to tear it down even further, but I'm sure they'll try. On a fundamental level they ruined it the day they made it an institution. They took something that was a private scriptural matter between two families and turned it into a commercial industry complete sanctified by the state and founded upon contractual law.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting