Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How will you react toward your gay or lesbian child?
Outburst of rage, then disown and reject the child. 4 3.54%
Lecture/berate the child about God and ethics and then remain indifferent to his or her needs/opinions/concerns. 2 1.77%
Remain neutral yet you refuse to support any GLBT activities or events. 12 10.62%
Be supportive, empathetic, concerned, and helpful. 95 84.07%
Voters: 113. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2009, 12:32 AM

25,157 posts, read 53,931,506 times

Advertisements

How would you feel and react if your child said he or she was gay or a lesbian?

In regards to the poll: Disown means that you either force your child to live with relatives or you remove the child from the house once he or she is 18. At that time you have no concern or love for the child, will give him or her the silent treatment, and are filled with anger and disgust towards homosexuality.

Last edited by artsyguy; 03-06-2009 at 12:40 AM..

Old 03-06-2009, 06:05 AM

8,176 posts, read 18,530,753 times
Ya know....I finally have to say this....

Why is it, when a gay man/woman comes out of the closet, they expect to be either accepted with open arms or rejected immediately?

Why are the parents/friends/family not given a chance to absorb the information?
When these people have no clue...thinking their child is like everybody else, grandchildren on the way...blah blah blah, This is a major fact to absorb.

Especially in deeply religious families. Or in families that the men thump their chests and say "Me Man?"

I mean come on be fair...ya'll have been dealing with this for years and you expect everybody else to deal with it within minutes?

If you think about it, it's not really just about you unless you choose it to be.

Old 03-06-2009, 06:27 AM

756 posts, read 2,218,377 times
Better yet, how about.... would you disown your child if they were unkind, uncaring about fellow mankind, dishonest, unloving, lazy, disrespectful, selfish, unable to follow the laws of society, or unable to contribute to making the world a better place?

Really, what does it really matter who someone chooses to love? And what is it to you? Don't you think there are more important matters these days we should be focusing on? Just my .02

Old 03-06-2009, 06:54 AM

14,975 posts, read 16,453,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
How would you feel and react if your child said he or she was gay or a lesbian?

In regards to the poll: Disown means that you either force your child to live with relatives or you remove the child from the house once he or she is 18. At that time you have no concern or love for the child, will give him or her the silent treatment, and are filled with anger and disgust towards homosexuality.
I voted to be supportive and helpful. I will not support gay marriage, however, or necessarily gay "activities." But I still chose the last one because I would still love my child, accept them for who they are, support them, and try to help them.

And no, I wouldn't even think of removing my child from the house due to sexual orientation.

Old 03-06-2009, 09:08 AM

3,106 posts, read 9,121,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usmcfamily View Post
Better yet, how about.... would you disown your child if they were unkind, uncaring about fellow mankind, dishonest, unloving, lazy, disrespectful, selfish, unable to follow the laws of society, or unable to contribute to making the world a better place?

Really, what does it really matter who someone chooses to love? And what is it to you? Don't you think there are more important matters these days we should be focusing on? Just my .02
Great post!

I just have to ask: what is the point of this poll?

Old 03-06-2009, 09:25 AM

2,027 posts, read 4,208,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sampaguita View Post
Great post!

I just have to ask: what is the point of this poll?
There was an older thread asking the same question but without a poll and a few posters expressed that they would not only not support their children in this event but would most likely disown them. Maybe the OP is just trying to see what the numbers actually are because in the old thread both sides were pretty vocal and posting a lot of replies.

I voted for the support/empathize/etc. one. My cousin is gay, he's been with his partner for three years, I live in San Francisco, my sister and I did theater growing up (so no shortage of gays there ), and I think it's genetic so no reason to condemn it. There are probably some other reasons that I forgot but overall I just don't see why I would ever condemn homosexuality, even if one of my future children were to come out.

Old 03-06-2009, 09:49 AM

791 posts, read 1,433,314 times
Default Certainly not

And, I think that if you did, there'd be something wrong with you. I can think of no responsible religious or ethical rationale for doing such a thing.

Old 03-06-2009, 10:01 AM

48,112 posts, read 21,992,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kali's Grandma View Post
Ya know....I finally have to say this....

Why is it, when a gay man/woman comes out of the closet, they expect to be either accepted with open arms or rejected immediately?

Why are the parents/friends/family not given a chance to absorb the information?
When these people have no clue...thinking their child is like everybody else, grandchildren on the way...blah blah blah, This is a major fact to absorb.

Especially in deeply religious families. Or in families that the men thump their chests and say "Me Man?"

I mean come on be fair...ya'll have been dealing with this for years and you expect everybody else to deal with it within minutes?

If you think about it, it's not really just about you unless you choose it to be.
I am gay and have come out to everyone in my life......from family, collegues, friends, etc.....I never expected anyone to "immediately accept or reject it" and I don't think its all about me......but it is who I am and after feeling that it wasn't ok to be me....for all those years.... .it was important to me to be able to "come out" and claim my identity.

That part was and is "all about me". Other peoples reactions to the fact of me.......that is their business.....just as a second marriage is all about the ones getting married....but may be of interest to children...grand children....and others. Also "immediately" has nothing to do with it.....children may not "immediately" accept a step mom ..... but that doesnt mean they shouldnt be told that Dad is getting married.....it may take awhile for them to "accept or reject" the new family constellation.

The only reason it is a big deal when someone comes out as gay is because of the stigma that has been attatched to it for so many years.....someday we wont have to "come out" we will have grown up "out"....and our choices will be as natural as the announcement of an engagement or the receipt of a wedding invitation.

Old 03-06-2009, 10:08 AM

3,980 posts, read 8,985,189 times
I'd be happy and proud of my child no matter what. I can't believe that people still make such a big deal about what people do in their bedrooms or who they fall in love with. There are more important things for a parent to be concerned about..like if your child is harming animals, bullying people, suicidal, drug addicted, or wants to drop out of school, etc.

Old 03-06-2009, 11:24 AM

8,176 posts, read 18,530,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elston View Post
I am gay and have come out to everyone in my life......from family, collegues, friends, etc.....I never expected anyone to "immediately accept or reject it" and I don't think its all about me......but it is who I am and after feeling that it wasn't ok to be me....for all those years.... .it was important to me to be able to "come out" and claim my identity.

That part was and is "all about me". Other peoples reactions to the fact of me.......that is their business.....just as a second marriage is all about the ones getting married....but may be of interest to children...grand children....and others. Also "immediately" has nothing to do with it.....children may not "immediately" accept a step mom ..... but that doesnt mean they shouldnt be told that Dad is getting married.....it may take awhile for them to "accept or reject" the new family constellation.

The only reason it is a big deal when someone comes out as gay is because of the stigma that has been attatched to it for so many years.....someday we wont have to "come out" we will have grown up "out"....and our choices will be as natural as the announcement of an engagement or the receipt of a wedding invitation.
Elston, you are correct, I should not have included EVERY gay person in my post. I should have said some. I apologize.

Heck the best roommate I ever had was a gay guy. We had a blast and are still good friends to this day.

He would get upset at this too. Two of his friends came out and expected their deeply Catholic parents just to accept this right there on the spot.
No their acceptance and or non acceptance didn't change the fact that they were gay but I felt that was unfair to blindside these nice people like that.

That's what caused the rift in the family, not their sexual orientation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting