U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2007, 11:28 AM

17,167 posts, read 22,189,403 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2kids View Post
Maybe try a family bowling center/indoor fun plex (I would avoid Chuckie Cheese at all cost) ...hope it helps!
mom, good idea!! tho bowling around here got so darn expensive, even for parties, you'd think if they lowered thier costs, more kids/adults would come bowling.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2007, 05:44 PM

48 posts, read 394,076 times
Default boys birthday parties

Some how I feel that hosting a party for boys are in general easier...they love to run around (hopefully outside!) Bowling can get pricey except when they have birthday packages and or there are coupons in the local paper or on-line. I have always thought home parties would be cheaper but if you read one of my posts earlier they can turn out to be a nightmare. There is a big push for parents to impress or one up the birthday party that your kid had been invited too ...I really can't say that my parties are that way. I look for a place or theme that my girl's are involved with. My ten going on 11 year old just wants to have her choice of chocolate cake a few friends over for a sleepover and to watch movies. I'm letting her invite 3 of her close friends that get along with eachother make a nice dinner....and let them stay up and talk all night. which they usually do any ways at her other sleepovers!
maybe we'll catch a matinee at a movie theater in Bennington that charges peanuts for tickets...who knows all I know is my daughters are both grateful for anything I do for them.

Old 04-12-2007, 05:07 PM

9,362 posts, read 22,345,942 times
I have a soon-to-be 10 YO girl. Last year I had a Sailor Moon party. I made her a Sailor Moon outfit and we went to a Japanese restaurant. The seating was for 12 around one of those cook tops. One mom stayed and brought a neighbor's kid- she said that she would sit somewhere else with the girl, but my son and I just gave up our seats, but I thought it was rude.

Anyway, I am at a loss at what to do for her party this year, which is at the end of the month. Ideas, please for a ten year old girl.

Old 04-20-2007, 03:05 PM

1,670 posts, read 5,697,292 times
Ages: 5-12; Let's go back to simple times before people started competing with who threw the bigger party. A simple back yard barbeque party is the way to go. Children should feel free to be kids. What's better than hotdogs, burgers, punch, pool (sprinkler or hose) and games. Limit the children and the cost. Simple times, mean as parents you could relax somewhat and children entertain one another. Have the children put names of games into the hat and have several children pick them out. Pick a leader and the games are on--with parents watching for cheating and supervision. Give little gifts to the winner and party is done within 4 hours. I'm so tired of subjecting my daughter to outrageous parties given by her friends. The worst party ever my child was invited to scared the craps out of her. A petting zoo in the home. The mother simply left this information out of the invite. If we would have known there was live animals being brought into her home to entertain 6years old, we might have stayed instead of dropping her off.

Old 04-24-2007, 11:23 AM

464 posts, read 686,237 times
My daughter turned 10 in Feb. we had a fancy dinner for her and 5 friends. They ate in the dinning room, good china and silver her brother 19 & 13 were the waiters it was cute. After, we setup camp chairs in the family room and they watch a new release movie. We called it a "Private Screening". They all had drinks and popcorn in the cute popcorn boxes. They all seemed to have a great time.

Old 04-24-2007, 11:24 AM

3,178 posts, read 13,172,174 times
There is a lso this amazing website

www.birthdaypartyideas.com

It's where I get all mine

Old 04-24-2007, 11:48 AM

322 posts, read 1,117,609 times
For the past 2 years, both my girls (now aged 8 and 10...9 next month) have preferred the sleepover parties. They invite 3 friends , we pick them up and drop them off back at home. The actual theme changes every year, but I tell ya, it beats having to entertain a dozen kids! Much cheaper too!

Old 04-25-2007, 08:31 AM

2,096 posts, read 8,061,155 times
i actually have taught gymnastics parties. These can work terrific for all ages, boys or girls, or even mixing them. The only one I ever worried about, was one for 12 yr old boys, but I about had to drag them out of the gym at the end!! They (like any other group) spent the whole time just going nutso, on the trampolines, I set up obstical courses w/mats and equipment and we held races, they always have a ball in the pit (a huge deep pit filled w/soft foam squares, think a swimming pool with foam chunks instead of water, safe and fun) with little kids you can also do paracutes, some gyms have bungees the kids can go in, doesnt matter the age or level, most gyms do it all, and just direct the party according to age. Ive never had one that didnt go over great. And I know a lot of parents like it too, because they bring the group to me, and I do all the work, all the set up and clean up, all they have to do is take pictures and watch the kids have a ball.
anyhow, just another suggestion.
Tiffany

Old 04-25-2007, 12:56 PM

3,684 posts, read 10,843,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2kids View Post
Thank you for that...the makeup we are talking about here is the kiddie type....not chanel or estee lauder for gods sake!...yes, we do set limits for our daughter and if 3 hours of make believe and dress up seems too over the top it's alot better than having your kid invite a whole bunch of 7 year olds to the house to sit around and complain that they are" bored.....the party games are stupid....i want to go home....i don't like yellow cake and vanilla ice cream...." ruining the party for the birthday kid....trust me it's happened to Donna.....NOT this year. She will only invite a few select friends those girl's who have consisitently shown my daughter respect. And they will enjoy themselves. Just to add about the expense of clean up for home parties...not all parents stay to supervise their kids...how about finding chocolate cake smeared on your bathroom wall after the party...cake /frosting ice cream ground in to the carpet...broken lamps....broken toys.... Some Kids and their parents have no respect for other people's homes or feelings...I at least always offer to stay and help out at any party my girl's are invited too....I don't run out the door jump into my car and peel out of the driveway thinking I just got two free hours of babysitting. That's why I am choosing to have outside birthday parties....

Oh boy I'm with you I'll never have a home party again...I did that once when my oldest was 4 and not only did it cost more...but it took me days to clean before the party (my husband liked that part) and days to clean up after it!

We always do outings...our last one was to a place that had a wharehouse of moonbounce things set up...3 hours, no mess, no fuss and they all had a blast!

As for the little girly party you did...what a fabulous idea. My niece will be seven next month and she just loves all the nail polish and make up stuff I send her...I'm going to send my sister this idea for her. Thanks!

Old 04-25-2007, 06:14 PM

3,042 posts, read 7,942,735 times
an alternative birthday, one without spending all the money and trying to outdo the neigbhors, Old FAshioned Birthday

party hats
pin tail on donkey
a regular cake that you bake
ice cream
hot dogs
gifts and a little party favor for all
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting