Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2009, 08:47 PM

9,762 posts, read 3,415,776 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzie02 View Post
Some times dh is dumb husband.
I thought it was something head, lol. My bad..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2009, 06:08 AM

517 posts, read 1,964,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlaGrrrl View Post
I thought it was something head, lol. My bad..

That's too funny! Thanks for making me laugh on this gray and foggy morning!

Old 03-09-2009, 06:20 AM

1,462 posts, read 4,867,606 times
Default Discipline Almost Undermined

Never, ever go back when you tell a child NO. All it takes is one time reversing a decision with them and they have GOT YOU...they are smart and know how to work it with you with only one encounter like this. I had to raise a boy all by myself from age 11 until adulthood and we had our battles. One absolutely frightful moment with him was when he was only 12 years old. He had been giving me some backtalk and I had warned him several times. The last time he spoke back during this episode, he was standing on a little rise as you go into a room and he was already close to six fee tall and near 200 pounds...big boy. For one split second, I felt fear and my heart pounding and knew if I let this big boy get the best of me now then it would be thus so for the rest of his growing up years...his size was a big factor in me "parenting up" and getting control of him. I think that day he lost all his rights in one feel swoop so to speak...no tv, no friends for a week, no nintendo (my son is 40 now) and lord only knows what all else he lost. I was never afraid again.

What I am saying is no matter how hard they cry, stay firm...put the irritating, crying, red-faced child in their room. They will stop. Don't continuously warn them that you are going to take action...DO IT. AND..the best news here is that kids do grow up, I promise you!!

Old 03-09-2009, 06:50 AM

1,022 posts, read 3,371,076 times
It must be something in the air! I took ALL my kids favorite electronics (DS, ipod) this weekend, and most of the stuff from their room! They can EARN it back once they shape up. They asked how long I was going to keep it, thinking I'd say 1 week or something. Nope! When they can act right they will get it back, so it's up to them. Last night they got sent to bed early, too! I think we all have cabin fever, but that is no excuse for being disrespectful!

Old 03-09-2009, 08:32 AM
Gue

24,118 posts, read 10,141,675 times
Stay strong!

Never go back on the discipline but also never say a discipline that you can't actually do.

About a month ago I took away my 13 year old daughters electronic devices for a week-I'm letting her know she better shape up or they will be gone again.

Old 03-09-2009, 08:44 AM

1,986 posts, read 4,066,657 times
Funny how kids think their lives will end if they lose things like their electronics and games, but the truth is, after they're gone, the kids eventually start taking interest in other things, like going outside or reading or board games, or lots of other stuff. It's really kind of cool to see them lose that dependency, see their eyes clear and actually interact with the rest of the family.

Old 03-09-2009, 08:52 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,358,815 times
Two words: UNITED FRONT.

Or kids will play you like a two-bit fiddle.

Old 03-09-2009, 09:49 AM

2,856 posts, read 10,433,997 times
I agree with you! Always follow through!!

Old 03-10-2009, 03:04 PM

517 posts, read 1,964,420 times
The DS came back today.... but I must say, it was a most pleasant two days without it (after the crying stopped). I think we'll have a bedtime discussion reiterating the reasons the DS went bye-bye the other day and, hopefully, the attitude will stay in check.

Old 03-10-2009, 03:14 PM

1,022 posts, read 3,371,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormy night View Post
Funny how kids think their lives will end if they lose things like their electronics and games, but the truth is, after they're gone, the kids eventually start taking interest in other things, like going outside or reading or board games, or lots of other stuff. It's really kind of cool to see them lose that dependency, see their eyes clear and actually interact with the rest of the family.
This is so true! Since I took my kids electronics away their imaginations have returned! They are being nicer to eachother and they actually hear me when I am talking to them because they are not sooo wrapped up in some game!! I really don't want to give them back ever, but I know I have to hold up my end and return them when the kids are behaving better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting