Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2009, 11:52 AM

3,872 posts, read 8,710,189 times

Advertisements

My daughter's going to be 6. I have reservations for my daughter's party @ Chick Fil A. But I'd rather do it here @ home. We live in an apartment though.

I'm thinking we could push the furniture back against the wall. We could do some crafts from Michaels. I could see how much a magician would be (I still remember when my mom got one for me), we could do cake/ice cream/pizza. They could have water guns to play outside if it's warm enough, or balls if not...

is that doable? ANY suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2009, 11:57 AM

517 posts, read 1,964,070 times
You could definitely do a party at home....but, it depends upon how many guests... and how organized you are (or can be). Keeping things organized and making sure the kids have something to do at all times will keep it from becoming an unruly mega-play date. Also, make sure you have enough adult helpers.

Old 03-11-2009, 01:47 PM

3,842 posts, read 10,510,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NicoleJ View Post
My daughter's going to be 6. I have reservations for my daughter's party @ Chick Fil A. But I'd rather do it here @ home. We live in an apartment though.

I'm thinking we could push the furniture back against the wall. We could do some crafts from Michaels. I could see how much a magician would be (I still remember when my mom got one for me), we could do cake/ice cream/pizza. They could have water guns to play outside if it's warm enough, or balls if not...

is that doable? ANY suggestions?
Move end tables, coffe tables, etc into the bedrooms. Move as much as you can into the bedrooms.

We live in a 1000sq ft home & had a CMas pary with about 20 (8 were children under the age of 6) guests. It was a tight squeeze but a ton of fun.

I would keep a limit, especially seeing the age. The girls can be silly & just have a lot more fun in a home setting.

Search google for ideas. There are a ton!!!

Old 03-11-2009, 01:54 PM

14,785 posts, read 24,080,364 times
hey there do you have any relatives homes you could borrow for a couple of hrs ? when my son was 6 we had a bday party for him at my cousins home cause it was bigger and everyone thought oh no something will get broken . no nothing got broken cause we barricaded all the rooms off from the rest of the house and the kids had such a good time and yes the water guns are a good idea as long as the kids are allowed to get wet from the guns i would check with the parents first . but try and see if you can get a house for a couple of hours so you dont bother anyone at the apt . good luck .

Old 03-11-2009, 02:07 PM

1,986 posts, read 4,066,166 times
Don't ask me. I think birthday parties for young kids are unnecessary. Family is enough.

Old 03-11-2009, 02:33 PM

121804, I've been googling, but maybe I'm looking for the wrong thing. I'm googling "party apartment kids". Not a lot showing up.

phonelady - we don't have any friends or family here. They're all in Texas and Florida.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormy night View Post
Don't ask me. I think birthday parties for young kids are unnecessary.
Uh, thanks for letting me know.

Old 03-11-2009, 02:36 PM

2,856 posts, read 10,431,988 times
I'd have her invite ONE or TWO of her best friends over for a sleepover or movie or something. that's what my parents did for me. A big party is unnecessary and hectic.

Old 03-11-2009, 02:37 PM

3,493 posts, read 7,932,925 times
A few girls (less than eight) at that age should be manageable. Look at the Family Fun magazine website for some cool ideas for crafts and games. Have two or three more games planned than you might really need in case something is a dud. I wouldn't spend the money for a magician unless you are dying to. I think this is a pretty easy age to entertain without much money.

If space is limited, make sure that the parents know that it is a "drop-off" party so that you don't end up hosting an adult party at the same time!

Old 03-11-2009, 02:40 PM

Good idea pinetree. thank you.

Old 03-11-2009, 03:27 PM

1,458 posts, read 4,132,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinetreelover View Post
A few girls (less than eight) at that age should be manageable. Look at the Family Fun magazine website for some cool ideas for crafts and games. Have two or three more games planned than you might really need in case something is a dud. I wouldn't spend the money for a magician unless you are dying to. I think this is a pretty easy age to entertain without much money.

If space is limited, make sure that the parents know that it is a "drop-off" party so that you don't end up hosting an adult party at the same time!
ITA on everything said!

I got all of my ideas from Family Fun when my kids were little!

I had a few parties when we were in apts, and I think it is a good idea to move furniture against the walls, even to remove some if possible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting