Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2009, 08:01 PM

1,636 posts, read 4,227,861 times

Advertisements

I'm just curious. I had a "blankey," my sister had a doll, and a couple of my friend's children always bring a "security" item along with their children when they visit.

My baby girl doesn't have one. Is it something that is emotionally important? Should I start putting a tiny blanket in her crib when she sleeps? She is a year old.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2009, 08:20 PM

4,253 posts, read 9,449,299 times
My both never used blankets. As for security items.. Daughter used something that I don't know if it could be classified as a security object. From about 8 months old, she started finding or pulling pieces of fuzz and sticking them close or into her nose, while sucking her thumb. Whenever she was tired, she'd go and find some cotton sticking from some mattress, pinch some invisible fuzz off her clothes or blankets, and sit clutching this fuzz between her nose and upper lip, often right in her nose. This was going on until she was 4 or so, though with decreasing frequency and intensity.

Son had to have his little cars, Hot Wheels, in his hands, at all times.

Old 03-12-2009, 08:42 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,444,796 times
I think some kids just glom onto something (kind of like some kids will suck their thumbs and some just never do). My little sister had this pink blankie. It got to be so ratty and my mom finally had to get rid of it. Neither of my kids had anything but my DD sucked her two middle fingers for quite some time - she had callouses on her fingers from that! Neither of my kids seem emotionally stunted as a result of not having a comfort object....I wouldn't worry.

Old 03-12-2009, 09:00 PM

1,312 posts, read 4,774,353 times
My son got a small blanket for Christmas when he was about 4 months old...maybe 2x2, fleece with a wide satin border. When he was older, he used to put it over his head at night, and he started calling it his "head blanket" because of that. Well, he's 5 now, and he still loves the thing. He even has a favorite corner of it...and he has to have it at night. He has no problem leaving it at home while he's at school, forgets about it for hours on end, and can even go to bed without it if there is a good reason, such as the time DH took it to work one night (24 hour shift!).

DD also got a pink version at some point during her first year, and she calls hers the "snuggle blanket", but there is no real attachment. She forgets it for days on end.

Just depends on what the child needs...both were introduced at about the same age, just different needs, I guess.

Old 03-12-2009, 09:22 PM

546 posts, read 1,678,274 times
LOL I still have my blankie, which is "on loan" to my 2 yr old right now.
Both my boys have blankies. You never know which lovey they're going to choose, they do it on their own. I offered about 10 different baby blankets to each child and they chose the one that is special to them. The one you "think" will be their lovey may not be the one. I have another one coming and I plan on doing the same.

I think they're great for the younger ones. It helps with seperation anxiety at times, giving them something tangible they can be in control of when a lot of the the world is beyond their control. it is inanimate, allowing them to cuddle and love it whenever they need it.

As my kids get older, I've already noticed my oldest one doesnt use his blankie practically ever... but one or two times, if he's had a rough day I notice it in his bed when he's sleeping.

Old 03-12-2009, 09:48 PM

2,278 posts, read 3,920,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miasmommy View Post
My baby girl doesn't have one. Is it something that is emotionally important? Should I start putting a tiny blanket in her crib when she sleeps? She is a year old.
I think it depends on her temperament and personality. My kiddo wasn't particularly attached to anything when he was a baby--I'd try pacifiers, some sort of toy (teddy bear, etc) and he didn't care for it. Rather than force anything, I've just let him come into it on his own. In a way, it was a good thing because then I don't need to wean him off any attachment once he gets too old for it.

I think you should just let her figure it out and ask for it on her own.

Old 03-13-2009, 12:19 AM

16,488 posts, read 24,471,880 times
I have 4 children, 3 of them had a blankie and 1 had a stuffed bear. I think when a baby or child is young these are important things for them to have. It allows them to learn to self-sooth.

Old 03-13-2009, 04:16 AM

603 posts, read 2,339,161 times
My son has a security blanket and stuffed duck. My daughter has a security duck that she has lost several times. We've spent a small fortune secretly replacing that duck every time she has lost it. It's wonderful for the kids to have something to comfort them, but tragic when it gets lost.

Old 03-13-2009, 06:52 AM

2,839 posts, read 9,979,824 times
You're her security blanket.....I think this is fairly common among well-attached babies. Good job, mama! When she's older, and you begin to leave her to self-soothe a bit more, she might choose something as a transitional (security) object.

That said, my son had transient security items, but he was never super-attached to any of them. For a while it was a curious george stuffed rattle, then it was a fire engine blanket. If we forgot it or it got lost, another stuffed animal or whatever would do. My daughter used me as her security blanket until she was about 2. That's when she got her Big Girl Bed with a little fleece blanket with Dora and Boots on it. That immediately became her "Boop-wanky," (Boots Blanket) and she carried it around with her like Linus. Now at nearly 6, she still sleeps with her Boopwanky every night, but rarely takes it out of her room. If she's sick, then it joins her on the couch or in the car. I would hate to think of how sad she would be if we ever lost Boopwanky... now I can wash it, but when she was very little, it was a tearful time, waiting for poor Boopwanky to rise from the indignity of the washer and dryer.

Old 03-13-2009, 07:00 AM

3,131 posts, read 11,643,687 times
Both my kids had/have their security items. my oldest is now 20. he had a stuffed "baby" and a blanket. The worst thing happened when we went on a vacation when he was young..the maids came in and changed the bedding, and the blankey was gone! we went to the housekeeping place, checked the laundry service etc..no blankey. that kids cried and cried. I think he was around 7 or 8 at the time. our youngest still has remnants of his blankey! I always tease him that he will be taking it to college!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting