Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2009, 06:09 PM

3,842 posts, read 10,478,555 times

Advertisements

Our ped told us at #2's 12 month that whole milk was not necessary due to fatty acids being found in quite a variety of everyday foods. She said 2% or 1%; whatever we were most comfortable with giving our children. Already having a toddler who was on 1% & with the cost of 2%...he just went on 1% at 12 months.

Interesting topic. I'm more concerned about juices than I am about milk.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2009, 10:35 PM

3,633 posts, read 5,331,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miasmommy View Post
I have had conflicting info in all directions with this subject. My parents, my daugther's ped, my chiro, my brother who's a nutritionist, WIC, LeLeche League. . . . .

My daughter is 1 year and still nursing 3 or 4 times a day. I know that formula fed babies start cow's milk at 1 year. But what about breastfed babies? She's IS getting milk from ME right? So there is no need for her to drink from a cow?

I cook with it and mix the occasional soy milk/water combo together for her. She drinks water and sometimes orange or prune water mix.

I'm assuming that the cow's milk is for the calcium, vitamin d and FAT right?

So if the same amount of calcium can be found in green leafy veggies and soy milk (which have way more vitamins than cow's milk anyhow) and the cottage cheese and yogurt we eat, and we eat fish and suppliment with d, and there is fat in MY milk and the fish/eggs we eat, is there need for cow's milk NOW? Later?

What have you done with your children/family?
there's one important word to keep in mind: "TRENDS."
what all of the alleged "experts" say today, they'll be saying the exact opposite in a few years.
my 2 kids were spaced 10 yrs apart in age-- their early years were an interesting experience:
1st baby's doctor: "Cows milk is for calves- a baby should never have cow's milk!"
2nd baby's doctor: "I hope she's getting enough cow's milk!"

what I did: they both had formula for the first couple of months, then I switched them over to plain whole cow's milk.

Old 03-30-2009, 10:43 AM

1,636 posts, read 4,217,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 121804 View Post
Our ped told us at #2's 12 month that whole milk was not necessary due to fatty acids being found in quite a variety of everyday foods. She said 2% or 1%; whatever we were most comfortable with giving our children. Already having a toddler who was on 1% & with the cost of 2%...he just went on 1% at 12 months.

Interesting topic. I'm more concerned about juices than I am about milk.

I decided to continue breastfeeding and occasionally giving her a mix between water, cow's milk, soy milk, rice milk, oatmilk and orange juice.

I do not believe that anyone NEEDS juice especially children. My family eats fruit and we get the vitamin c AND the fiber.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting