U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-19-2009, 11:29 AM

1,384 posts, read 3,733,513 times

Advertisements

Not sure if this is in the right forum, but I am not sure where else to put it. What are your thoughts and suggestions?
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2009, 08:32 PM

6,571 posts, read 17,949,017 times
Raising seven kids the wife and I did have biter problems...normal with all kids.

The one who got bit had the permission to bite back the biter.

Sure they cried...never happened again.

A two yr old can only be spanked on the rear lightly and told that was a NO NO.

A four yr old is another problem. Depends on the situation and with what age the other child is. They can be spanked on the rear also and threatened with harsh punishment. I always threatened to remove my belt.

Four boys and three girls...one got the belt treatment and the rest always walked the straight line after wards. It hurt me more then them getting the belt. As a child I got the switch from the tree which is a lot worse then the belt. The pych is to make them afraid to do it again.

Good luck training. Steve

Old 03-19-2009, 08:48 PM

515 posts, read 1,147,694 times
Let them get bit as well.

Old 03-19-2009, 09:01 PM

1,986 posts, read 3,466,057 times
I had a cousin who bit. The last time she bit my sister, my aunt took her arm and bit it. Did I say that was the last time she bit my sister? Kids learn. She was about 4.

Old 03-19-2009, 09:05 PM

1,425 posts, read 3,521,622 times
Son used to get bit by this one kid in preschool (just under two years old). The boy that was biting him ended up being ASD. What stopped it was my son getting mad and clocking the boy on the head with a wooden block.

When I was a kid it was "bite them back". Worked for most of us. I do have a sister who was a perpetual biter (up til about 7 yo). She out grew it eventually, but her momma would spank, let us bite her back, and made her bite soap. Some kids are going to bite.

My suggestion, teach the kids to " use thier words". A short term like "mad" before biting to warn the bitee. If the biter says mad and the other kids don't take the hint, and the biting happens, at least when the bitee bites him/her back they'll know why they got bit in the first place.

Old 03-19-2009, 09:18 PM

2,588 posts, read 4,850,900 times
My nearly 22-month-old is/was a biter - she hasn't bitten recently. We'll see how long that lasts. Quite often, she would intend to bite my shirt or pants and bite me in the process. Then there were those times where I must have looked tasty, as she just bit me. She wasn't angry or anything; she just decided to bite. My response was always to yell bloody murder, which frightened her and caused her to burst into tears. Then I would yell "no biting!" If she does it again, and she probably will, she might get swatted. My mother-in-law advises biting back, like many here.

Now, if my 3-1/2-year-old were to bite me, she most certainly would get a spanking. I have a naughty corner I use, but there are some behaviors that warrant spanking, in my opinion. Biting and spitting qualify in my book.

Again, like many here, my MIL swears by it, but I'm not sure I could bite back.

Old 03-20-2009, 06:44 AM

1,363 posts, read 5,341,822 times
Mine only bit me, never another kid. I would stop playing with her, put her in the pack-n-play and walk away telling her no-bite whenever she did it. I think one time I spanked her when she got me really hard. Biting her back probably would have worked quicker, but I just couldn't bring myself to do it. I don't think she was even 2 yet. I could do it now that she's older but, "thankfully" she got bit by another kid at daycare, so I won't have to. She got a taste (no pun intended) of her own medicine and didn't like it.

Old 03-20-2009, 08:54 AM

13,104 posts, read 17,640,353 times
oh yeah my sister had a biter and one day she bit the dog and the dog bit her back and she cried . the rest of us were laughing because neither of us had to bite her the dog did our job and she was cured . the whole time that dog was alive they avoided each other like the plague . LOL !!! It was just too funny . the whole family still talks about it .

Old 03-22-2009, 06:12 PM

396 posts, read 906,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
oh yeah my sister had a biter and one day she bit the dog and the dog bit her back and she cried . the rest of us were laughing because neither of us had to bite her the dog did our job and she was cured . the whole time that dog was alive they avoided each other like the plague . LOL !!! It was just too funny . the whole family still talks about it .
That is toooo funny!!!

Old 03-22-2009, 08:42 PM

16,248 posts, read 20,589,351 times
The 2 year old would get a hand swat whuppin and the 4 year old would get a belt whuppin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or